Question About Netflix

2»

Comments

• Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix works fine for me

by the way, netflix on tivo uses its own 10 meg internet. I'd get virgin to check the line and area first
    I agree, I think the people who are having problems are probably experiencing issues with their signals. I don't know why they don't tell customer services. We are hardly in a position to sort these problems out from here!
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    same here

I use Netflix via the TiVo a lot and only had the very occasional issue with it
    There are no issues with the TIVO box as far as I can see.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    I agree, I think the people who are having problems are probably experiencing issues with their signals. I don't know why they don't tell customer services. We are hardly in a position to sort these problems out from here!
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    There are no issues with the TIVO box as far as I can see.

Yep. The ui can be sluggish sometimes.

But 1080p hd Netflix is great.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, thanks for the comments.

I think it comes down to a few things. The set up of Netflix WAS very complicated. I was expecting to face having to go through entering an e mail address every time with the clunky up down sideways arrows. Happily Netflix/Tivo seems to recall your settings so it was much quicker to access after doing that (right) once (I did it wrong it seems on the first couple of occasions).

I also discovered that there is a Netflix channel on 204 and accessing via there was quicker than the other method I was trying.

It is also quicker during the day than late at night when my buffering problems were occurring.

The programming and 1080p HD is good indeed, as suggested.

It is still 'streaming' I guess that makes it less speedy than normal viewing - so much more dependent on your network.

But after a few days of experimenting I am much happier than I was and looking forward to seeing things regularly on Netflix.

I do like the Tivo - too. Having had Sky for years it has pros and cons with the latest big wifi Sky boxes, but some of the differences are neat ones and PQ is every bit as good as Sky if not slightly better IMO.
  • Options
    tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    My Netflix takes an age to load,but once loaded I have never had an issue with,no buffer probs or anything
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to come back to my post above.

Still not happy with Netflix via Tivo.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it is awful. No way to know what you get so no ability to watch when you want.

Last time I watched House of Cards it was great in HD and no issue.

Tonight it will not play in anything above 240 SD! And freezes at that.

No issues with signal, etc, so far as I can see. Indeed VM updated our street a couple of weeks ago to provide a 'better' service (they claimed). We were cut off for hours whilst they did it.

If Netflix is so temperamental that it can vary from awful SD picture at a snail's pace to great HD without pause then what is the point?

Our free trial ends soon and - much as I like the service - there is no point in paying for something as unreliable as Netflix via Virgin Tivo appears to be.
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped using tivo netflix and bought a chromecast for the tv, not had any issues since, and finding something to watch is a lot quicker on my phone.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Just to come back to my post above.

Still not happy with Netflix via Tivo.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it is awful. No way to know what you get so no ability to watch when you want.

Last time I watched House of Cards it was great in HD and no issue.

Tonight it will not play in anything above 240 SD! And freezes at that.

No issues with signal, etc, so far as I can see. Indeed VM updated our street a couple of weeks ago to provide a 'better' service (they claimed). We were cut off for hours whilst they did it.

If Netflix is so temperamental that it can vary from awful SD picture at a snail's pace to great HD without pause then what is the point?

Our free trial ends soon and - much as I like the service - there is no point in paying for something as unreliable as Netflix via Virgin Tivo appears to be.

Thats very strange, I have had zero issues with it. it runs really well for me.

Mind you if your area is over utilized it will slow down...
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first to to channel 204 there's a delay, not massive, a couple of minutes maybe.

But once I'm in TiVo works great, I've never had any streaming issues. I would guess it's an issue specific to your location rather than a Virgin wide issue, though I would certainly agree there's no issue paying for something that doesn't work for you.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Netflix on my Tivo since the service started and I've always thought it was a reasonable speed. However I bought a new smart tv last week the Netflix service on there has made me realize how slow my TIVO is. The TV is almost instantaneous whilst the TIVO has a slight lag for everything.

A good example is pausing a programme. When I press pause on my Tivo there is approximately 2 second delay before it actually pauses. On my tv app it is instant.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I've been using Netflix on my Tivo since the service started and I've always thought it was a reasonable speed. However I bought a new smart tv last week the Netflix service on there has made me realize how slow my TIVO is. The TV is almost instantaneous whilst the TIVO has a slight lag for everything.

A good example is pausing a programme. When I press pause on my Tivo there is approximately 2 second delay before it actually pauses. On my tv app it is instant.

just had the same experience , got a new TV with the Netflix app and its so much smoother than via the TiVo , even tho I hadn't really had any complaints about the TiVo version previously

not a techie but wonder if the broadband speed is anything to do with it , the TiVo has a dedicated broadband of 10Mb I think whereas when running the app via the TV I am using my 120Mb wifi