[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
1. Romana
2. Jo Grant
3. K9
4. The Timelords
5. Drax from the Armageddon Factor
6. Whatever happened to the Black and White Guardians what were they up to whilst Galifrey and Skaro burned?
7. Tom Baker as the Master

Comments

• sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Yes
    2. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. No
    6. They went to the pub
    7. Good god no....
  • Jakes_stuffJakes_stuff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Tegan!!!

I want to know what happened after the end of the audio play 'The Gathering', only because
    I don't think it would be a case of the character dying from the alien brain tumour - its defo been left open for how and what the tumour is - perhaps the return of the Mara!
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about bringing back 'Polly'?

I'm sure Anneke Wills would jump at the chance.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second Polly and also put forward The Celestial Toymaker. Long due a rematch :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    1. Would like Sarah Jane Smith to rejoin the doctor in his Tardis for a storyline set on another planet, perhaps with her adopted son Luke joining them too.

2. Would like Donna Noble back as she was brilliant.

3. Bring back Peri / Tegan just because!!

4. Bring back the Carrionites (witches from series 3 episode about william shakespeare) and set them in modern day America at Halloween time!

5. Any classic monster from the 1960's / 70's/ 80's other than the Cybermen & Daleks as they've both been over done now and need to rest a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Grant makes me want to hit something. Particularly after recently watching most of Series 7 and seeing how good Liz Shaw was. They replaced her with someone with literally no personality or character other than "screaming dimwit". :mad: (It's not really Katy Manning's fault, though)
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love the classic series the show needs to move forward not keep looking back.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Romana -yes, Mark II played by the lovely Mrs Dawkins
    2. Jo Grant God no!!!! - unless there's a story "Planet of the Air Heads"
    3. K9 He makes the occasional guest appearance - bit like Dr Legg in EastEnders
    4. The Timelords yes - might even happen
    5. Drax from the Armageddon Factor he's too busy examining dead bodies in Midsomer Murders
    6. Whatever happened to the Black and White Guardians what were they up to whilst Galifrey and Skaro burned? doing panto?
    7. Tom Baker as the Master bringing back Tom in any capacity would be an inspied move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    As much as I love the classic series the show needs to move forward not keep looking back.

Why though? Bringing back a interesting character/race like the Celestial Toymaker or The Zygons would IMO by a good move.
    The fans who have never seen the Classic Series will be none the wiser and Classic Series fans will have something to Enjoy/Moan about :). If a character/race is good and there is a story to tell then I don't see it as a problem.

The important thing of course is only to bring back past villains/monsters if you are going to build on them, there is no point bringing something back just to tick a box. A problem would be if they brought back a character and spent half an episode discussing its roots in the Classic series, something that the current production team has avoided doing so far.

As long as the majority of the stories focus on new creations the odd returnee if handled correctly can only be good for the show.
    I know I get more of a thrill seeing The Sontarans etc than say The Hath. The old monsters that have come back have probably been some of the biggest hits with the kiddies.
    I am all for moving forward but the odd backward glance never does anyone any harm IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The important thing of course is only to bring back past villains/monsters if you are going to build on them, there is no point bringing something back just to tick a box. A problem would be if they brought back a character and spent half an episode discussing its roots in the Classic series, something that the current production team has avoided doing so far.

I agree with this. The biggest mistake they can make is to bring something back for the sake of it. They do this a lot with the Cybermen, I feel: The Next Doctor, Doomsday, The Invasion and Earthshock could have been done with any generic villains, compared to, say, Tomb of the Cybermen or Spare Parts*, which use them to their full potential. The Daleks too are nowadays just trotted out to be a big bad in the finales. The Sontarans were handled well, though, as was the Master (particularly compared to the Ainley one).

Strangely enough, I thought Time Crash was the biggest misuse of a Classic element: am I the only one who thought that the script sounded like it was written for Colin Baker?

*I finally got round to listening to it, and it's every bit as brilliant as you said it was. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    1. Romana -yes, Mark II played by the lovely Mrs Dawkins
    2. Jo Grant God no!!!! - unless there's a story "Planet of the Air Heads"
    3. K9 He makes the occasional guest appearance - bit like Dr Legg in EastEnders
    4. The Timelords yes - might even happen
    5. Drax from the Armageddon Factor he's too busy examining dead bodies in Midsomer Murders
    6. Whatever happened to the Black and White Guardians what were they up to whilst Galifrey and Skaro burned? doing panto?
    7. Tom Baker as the Master bringing back Tom in any capacity would be an inspied move.

Sorry, is that inspired or insipid?
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Donna Noble!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Donna Noble!

I second that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely enough, I thought Time Crash was the biggest misuse of a Classic element: am I the only one who thought that the script sounded like it was written for Colin Baker?

Yeah I loved it at the time but a recent rewatch made me realise how unlike the Fifth Doctor Davo was in it.

I thought The Daleks were very well handled in Series 1, its only the other reappearances that have not really worked for me. The CYbermen have a long history of appearing in crap stories :D (Save Tenth Planet/Tomb for me anyway)
    *I finally got round to listening to it, and it's every bit as brilliant as you said it was. :D

Glad you enjoyed it, its really great stuff. Have you listened to the Brilliant Chimes of Midnight yet? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'd actually like to see something new that can take on the might of the Daleks and the Cybermen but is new and clever. Maybe like a sentient virus or something.
    I'd also love to see The Trickster in DW and possibly the Krynoid. And with CGI they could probably make an awesome Chronovore redesign
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ayre123 wrote: »
    Maybe like a sentient virus or something.

Thats already been done in Red Dwarf...........so expect RTD to use it in one of the 2009 specials!;)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Bring back Sil! (But only if Nabil would want to reprise him)

Today's generation of kids deserve the opportunity of trying to imitate his laugh in the playground!

Surely they could come up with a credit crunch parallel that would fit Sil like a glove..?
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Donna Noble!

We're on the same page.