Waters of Mars - The Doctor missed an easy solution

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
Forum Member
I know the old doc is (apparently) becoming unhinged, but surely the smartest time traveller in the universe should have figured out that all the crew had to do to stop the guys in the biodome was turn off the heating?

Shut down the life support to that section, the water freezes, problem solved.... simples!

Yes, i know.... shortest episode ever.... but still...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the old doc is (apparently) becoming unhinged, but surely the smartest time traveller in the universe should have figured out that all the crew had to do to stop the guys in the biodome was turn off the heating?

Shut down the life support to that section, the water freezes, problem solved.... simples!

Or, take them all out of the base, put them all in the TARDIS, detonate the nuke, and then drop them off in the past, or on a different world, where they can remain dead officially in 2059 but not interfere with the timelines.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, they dealt with that when the two guys got up on the roof. The internal fusion or something meant that those infected didn't require life support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or, take them all out of the base, put them all in the TARDIS, detonate the nuke, and then drop them off in the past, or on a different world, where they can remain dead officially in 2059 but not interfere with the timelines.

My interpretation is this is the Doctor being an arrogant so-and-so. He could have done this, but he's the last Time Lord, he can do anything, timelines shake before him- so why not take them back to their families so they can live the lives they wanted? Anything less would be admitting he can't change the 'fixed point', admitting defeat, and we can't have that. :mad: Well, unless you remember that humans have minds of their own, and at least some can make the tough, brave decisions. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    No, they dealt with that when the two guys got up on the roof. The internal fusion or something meant that those infected didn't require life support.

that's the point.Life support isn't just a matter of air.... it also requires a sustainable temperature. The orbital view of the nuke showed that the base was fairly high up the northern hemisphere, so the temperature without artificial support would quickly drop below the freezing point of water, which would render the big bad inert.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's the point.Life support isn't just a matter of air.... it also requires a sustainable temperature. The orbital view of the nuke showed that the base was fairly high up the northern hemisphere, so the temperature without artificial support would quickly drop below the freezing point of water, which would render the big bad inert.

Its this kind of talk that made Trekkies so unpopular... Jeez, its a fun TV show. Do we have to analyse things to THIS detail?

It was also already pointed out by another poster that they didn't need a sustainable temperature due to "inner fission". They could keep themselves and presumably the water, warm.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He din't want to try and save them at first.

They would all die if they turned off the heating, becuase Mars is freezing.