Roy 'Chubby' Brown

Comments

• Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    I saw him in my home town of Barnsley and he often appears there. Someone told me they could sell all the tickets 20 times over.

I live in Barnsley and have had piles that have made me laugh more than Brown ever has.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad thinks he's hilarious but my mum thinks he's disgusting, crude and offensive. He has some of his video's and DVD's and has to wait till after my mum's gone to bed to watch them because she refuses point blank to listen to him.

A few times dad's been watching them and I've walked in and he's told me to cover my ears.

I saw a documentary on him a few years back and they showed a snipit of his material and it is really gross. I'm not offended by swearing or even by stuff not now classed as "P.C" but the stuff he was coming out with was utterly vile, really explicit sexual stuff about his wife. Stomach churning beyond belief!
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think much of comediens who need to be offensive to be funny.

And deliberately trying to be un-pc just to prove a point isn't rebellious and cool, it's just tedious and cringeworthy.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rmpc77 wrote: »
    Exactly. It loses the shock value. In I'm Alan Partridge, the f-word was only used, I think, once in each series so it was that much funnier.

Smell my cheese! :D
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I don't think much of comediens who need to be offensive to be funny.

And deliberately trying to be un-pc just to prove a point isn't rebellious and cool, it's just tedious and cringeworthy.

Oh I dunno, I'm quite into Frankie Boyle at the minute. :D
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad thinks he's hilarious but my mum thinks he's disgusting, crude and offensive. He has some of his video's and DVD's and has to wait till after my mum's gone to bed to watch them because she refuses point blank to listen to him.

A few times dad's been watching them and I've walked in and he's told me to cover my ears.

I saw a documentary on him a few years back and they showed a snipit of his material and it is really gross. I'm not offended by swearing or even by stuff not now classed as "P.C" but the stuff he was coming out with was utterly vile, really explicit sexual stuff about his wife. Stomach churning beyond belief!

And I hate to be horrible, but such an ugly man coming out with all this sexual stuff? UGH, who wants to even think about him doing all that!!!!! :eek: *vomit smilie* :eek: I've seen plenty pictures of him without the 'Chubby' outfit and he's not much to look at, it has to be said :D
  • dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    Jeez that's unbelievable. He makes me want to drop kick the tv whenever I see him advertised.

**breathes

dont know who your thinking of but it cant be chubby cause he has never ever been on tv doing stand up....

fact !
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manning/Brown talking about racism, or Ben 'right on' Elton talking about periods.

No difference really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    dont know who your thinking of but it cant be chubby cause he has never ever been on tv doing stand up....

fact !

But there certainly are TV ads for his DVDs.
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Vine is about as funny as syphillis.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "My wife's got two c*nts. One between her legs...and me."

Now, gags like that aren't that funny written down but when Chubby says them in his set they are (and it's true, he is a c*nt!). It's all down the atmosphere and everything. I don't agree with the racism but that's just what his character is and everyone expects it. He's obviously not nasty like that in real life, it's just gags. I mean come on, he dresses in a stupid costume onstage! He knows if he didn't go out in the Chubby gear he couldn't do his set because that's his character.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a couple of others have said, Roy does have TERRIFIC comic timing. I mean, really world class. He's up there with the best.

Its unfortunate that the niche of his act has revolved around offensiveness and pathetic bigotry for so long. He does have a natural talent and presence.

Beyond the fact that he's staunchly refused to join the rest of us in the 21st century is the fact that both his energy and his material has diminished severely in recent years. I really do think that if he'd dropped the racism and overt homophobia he could have been looked on as a great comic.

As much as I despise the views he espouses, he is a working comic who can sell out any theatre in the country, and I respect that at least.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He belongs in the dark ages. God knows how anyone can still find that tw*t funny
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 366,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find his humour tedious there isn't a laugh to be got from him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

fact !

He's never done mainstream TV but he's been on other channels on SKY. Can't remember which one now but it's something like Bravo. Definitely been on though because I caught my hubby watching it! :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    He's never done mainstream TV

Channel Five showed excerpts from his stage show, during a recent documentary about him.
  • plymeverton1878plymeverton1878 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just compare him to the best standups around.

Dennis Leary, Eddie Izzard, Stewart Lee, Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Sara Silverman, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Hicks, Billy Connolly, Ross Noble, Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey...the list goes on.

He is a hack, a relic. Good riddance.
  • scotty1scotty1 Posts: 239
    Forum Member

Dennis Leary, Eddie Izzard, Stewart Lee, Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Sara Silverman, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Hicks, Billy Connolly, Ross Noble, Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey...the list goes on.

you've shot your argument in the foot with most of those smug w@nkers , horses for courses i say plus also he's probably richer than that majority bar the unfunny yanks,think he cares what a load of whingers on here think ;)
  • CHEE KYCHEE KY Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think most have forgot that humour is subjective, we all laugh at different things. What I like about American stand-ups is the fact they have a stand-up comedian for every occasion. Most up-and-coming American stand-ups will steer clear of swearing and smut, half the comedy clubs in America will not allow him or his set on if he does, which is in total opposite to the UK where being offensive gets you more doors opening.

Some people enjoy reminiscing their youth when words like shit, fanny, f**k and c**t were seen as shocking and a bit dirty. Chubby Brown relies on people who enjoy that, it's most of his act. He uses certain looks and a tone in his voice when he says the words to suggest he shouldn't really be saying such words and he's being really bad by doing so.

I note you mention Sarah Silverman in your list of greats. Now she actually tries to be as offensive as possible to hope people forget the fact she hasn't much material. She'll keep a joke going for a lot longer than it really should with pauses and sighs.

Which is in total contrast to someone like Eddie Murphy who shoots out joke after joke after joke, everyone bought his stand-up videos so they could hit pause between jokes and savour them.

Bill Hicks took you on a story that hit many topics and made you laugh AND think (he's my personal favourite). I see similarities with him and Eddie Izzard, Eddie enjoys making his audience think as well.

Dennis Leary rips-off Bill Hicks, everyone knows it, even Dennis.
  • lesnar01lesnar01 Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john bishop is pure class :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen him? Best comedian ever imo. So rude and un-pc but so funny.

When I went he started by saying "I have some F-ing bad news today. Due to new PC rules I can't say any racist or gay jokes" Then he said "F*** the rules I'm telling them anyway" :D

He's telling the same jokes he told 30 years ago in the clubs. Check out his early audio cassettes and then watch his latest DVD and compare. For the record, I think he's rather painful to watch. Crude comedians of his ilk are soooooooooooo last century (IMO of course)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    He's never done mainstream TV but he's been on other channels on SKY. Can't remember which one now but it's something like Bravo. Definitely been on though because I caught my hubby watching it! :D

Men and Motors showed some of his DVD performances. But IIRC, most were heavily edited. That was around 2004-ish.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chubby is hilarious:D
    you FAT """""""
    you FAT """""""
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel Five showed excerpts from his stage show, during a recent documentary about him.

I bet they were quite heavily edited excerpts! :D Didn't know that though :)
    Men and Motors showed some of his DVD performances. But IIRC, most were heavily edited. That was around 2004-ish.

That must be what I'm thinking about, is it really that long ago? I must be getting old :D
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    Chubby is hilarious:D
    you FAT """""""
    you FAT """""""

@ is Alice"

I remember being at a wedding and that came on, everyone went wild dancing to it :o