Google Nexus 7 32GB - £199

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that tech stands still once you have made their purchase is fooling themselves.....

Junp on the tech train when you find a gadget and price that you feel is good for you - but always remember that in a very short space of time things will be better and they will be cheaper

I'm not saying that I am not expecting technology to move on quickly - but if Google are releasing a 32GB version 3 months after the original launch of the 16GB version at the same price then they are not giving the first customers a good deal at all.

I do feel that if Apple were to do the same the comments on here would be very different.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that I am not expecting technology to move on quickly - but if Google are releasing a 32GB version 3 months after the original launch of the 16GB version at the same price then they are not giving the first customers a good deal at all.

I do feel that if Apple were to do the same the comments on here would be very different.

so what do you feel is an acceptable time limit before progress is allowed ? :confused:

i bought my unit in August. Im guessing the upgrade will be out in time for Christmas.

My Nexus 7 is not now suddenly worse than it was when i bought it .....
    Forum Member
    so what do you feel is an acceptable time limit before progress is allowed ? :confused:

i bought my unit in August. Im guessing the upgrade will be out in time for Christmas.

My Nexus 7 is not now suddenly worse than it was when i bought it .....

6 months.

Why would it be worse than when you bought it?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be an early adopter and have my Nexus to play with than worry what might be available in the future. There's usually a price drop for electronics, Apple is different and not the norm of course so there's no use using them as an example. It's not even been announced yet never mind available anyway.
    Forum Member
    6 months.

Why would it be worse than when you bought it?

ahhhh. so you think 6 months is OK.

Is that from when its announced ?
    or released ?
    or from when someone buys it ?

it shouldnt be worse than when i bought it. Exactly. so why should i now be horrified that a better version has come along ? should tech not progress ? I paid my money at a point in time and got the product was available, for that money, at that time. I was always aware that if i waited something better and/or cheaper would come along. I dodnt want to wait. Its now got to the point where a new model is allegedly coming out. Why should i be disappointed ? it hasnt made my existing product any worse.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the "Google Play" credit (basically a rebate / discount on the price) that was included with the existing versions won't be included with the 32gb version.

Nothing confirmed though, just like the product ;)
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I'd rather be an early adopter and have my Nexus to play with than worry what might be available in the future. There's usually a price drop for electronics, Apple is different and not the norm of course so there's no use using them as an example. It's not even been announced yet never mind available anyway.

In what way are Apple different?
    Forum Member
    ahhhh. so you think 6 months is OK.

Is that from when its announced ?
    or released ?
    or from when someone buys it ?

it shouldnt be worse than when i bought it. Exactly. so why should i now be horrified that a better version has come along ? should tech not progress ? I paid my money at a point in time and got the product was available, for that money, at that time. I was always aware that if i waited something better and/or cheaper would come along. I dodnt want to wait. Its now got to the point where a new model is allegedly coming out. Why should i be disappointed ? it hasnt made my existing product any worse.

From release – kind of obviously…if it was from announcement it may not come out within 6 months and if it’s from when someone buys it a company would have to stop selling them for 6 months which would be ridiculous.

I’ve not said tech should not progress – of course it should – but tech has not progressed in 3 months to make a 16GB the same price as a 32GB – Google will be doing it to increase sales not because something has progressed.

It’s up to you if you want to be horrified, disappointed etc etc but in my opinion it shows a lack of respect for the customer coming out so soon after the initial release.

It’s not made your Nexus any worse but if you had waited you could have doubled your storage for no extra outlay.
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From release – kind of obviously…if it was from announcement it may not come out within 6 months and if it’s from when someone buys it a company would have to stop selling them for 6 months which would be ridiculous.

I’ve not said tech should not progress – of course it should – but tech has not progressed in 3 months to make a 16GB the same price as a 32GB – Google will be doing it to increase sales not because something has progressed.

It’s up to you if you want to be horrified, disappointed etc etc but in my opinion it shows a lack of respect for the customer coming out so soon after the initial release.

It’s not made your Nexus any worse but if you had waited you could have doubled your storage for no extra outlay.
    Frankly it's piss poor! To sell at the same price for double the storage within 3 months is taking the piss. I really can't see why others are defending this nonsense!
    Yes i have a 16GB and i will continue to use it for a while anyway. It's good but not good enough to stop me buying an ipad. I had hoped to find another way other than apple but it seems i can't. No way i will spend another 200 quid on the 32GB version so 64GB ipad beckons. A pity...
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I got a Nexus 7 16GB from PC World yesterday with free Norton Protection for £189.99. Just read about the 32GB version coming soon at £199.99 and it did slightly annoy me, but I suppose with Apple and Kindle threatening to enter the 7 inch market soon, Google need to do something to ensure that Apple don't ruin their Christmas. It's a shame that Google don't offer customers who have registered 16GB devices up to the date the 32GB is available to order a bit of Google Play credit.
    Forum Member
    Gosh I bet some of you hate unannounced "buy one get one free" offers at tesco or half price sales at comet .....:rolleyes:

Its a few extra gig....enable usb otg, add a HD and get hundreds of GB.
    Forum Member
    Gosh I bet some of you hate unannounced "buy one get one free" offers at tesco or half price sales at comet .....:rolleyes:

Its a few extra gig....enable usb otg, add a HD and get hundreds of GB.

Buy One Get One Free Offers at Tesco on food are a mile away from a £200 Android Tablet purchase - unless you are fabously wealthy :D

It doubles capacity - surely more than a few
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't see the big deal, I have the 16GB model and an extra 16GB really isn't a big deal, it's what £8 worth of memory, Google gave me £15 Play store credit so I'm still up.

Plus what would you do with 16GB extra space? still not enough space to carry around your whole music, video collection is it?
    Forum Member
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    Really don't see the big deal, I have the 16GB model and an extra 16GB really isn't a big deal, it's what £8 worth of memory, Google gave me £15 Play store credit so I'm still up.

Plus what would you do with 16GB extra space? still not enough space to carry around your whole music, video collection is it?

exactly.

I got 10% off using a tesco voucher and the a £15 play store voucher. It therefore 'cost' me about £165 (in theory). compared to other tablets that is still, a couple of months later, a great deal. Would I have preferred an extra 16GB .... obviously I would. Does the new version detract from what I purchased ? no.

there are worse things to be 'disgusted/horrified/shocked' by than a company releasing a newer, and slightly better, version of its product......
    Forum Member
    Alcdrew wrote: »

It is, yes
    Forum Member
    there are worse things to be 'disgusted/horrified/shocked' by than a company releasing a newer, and slightly better, version of its product......

There certainly are – but not sure who on here was disgusted/horrified or shocked other than when you try and make out people are.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really can't see the issue.
    As has been said, people buy a product at a price for which they decide it is of reasonable value. Just because something comes out later doesn't stop that product from working or being of any less value.
    It just means that the new product is of even better worth.

Such is the world of tech. I remember buying a 4x DVD writer for £315 when they first came out, look at them now... Thank God the wife never knew :D
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SonyJunkie wrote: »

A brilliant app, makes the storage issue pretty well redundant.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the newer version might come with a rear camera?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the newer version might come with a rear camera?

hope not. Taking phones on tablets is the stupidest idea since letting Jeremy Kyle guests go on Facebook.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    hope not. Taking phones on tablets is the stupidest idea since letting Jeremy Kyle guests go on Facebook.

Yes indeed, I think I've used my ipad camera about three times, once when I was taking pictures of my iPhone to sell the other times when I first got it. Absolutely useless.

The front camera I understand for video chatting, but I don't do that very often.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were you using an iPad 1/2 or 3, because the camera on iPad 3 is supposed to be pretty good.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ipad 3 camera is better sure, but still no better than that offered on most phones. The entire form of the tablet makes it a poor way to take photographs.