Comments

• The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    And we couldn't forget your successful contribution to reality programming:
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_01/vstruants_468x373.jpg
    :D;)

I nearly spilt my tea laughing over my lappy, @ that link chinnie !

:D
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    BTW I support your argument that the line up is in no way representative of Londoners and LBC would do well to have more of a racial mix. Are they deliberately racist?

.....and while we're at it, how about more left-handed presenters and more who are asthma sufferers or non-drivers or vegetarians? Let's not stop at more asians or africans. :D
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I still haven't seen anyone name any possible black or Asian presenters. Who are all these people who are willing, able and of sufficient calibre to do the job?

Strikes me that the talent pool for talk radio is quite small.

Lets face it if someone like nick margerrison can get a gig there can't be a lot of choice!

In a city where 40% of the population are black, Asian or minority ethnic, I don't think it would be too difficult to find at least one presenter that was at least as good as Julia Hartley-Brewer, who sets the bar pretty low.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    .....and while we're at it, how about more left-handed presenters and more who are asthma sufferers or non-drivers or vegetarians? Let's not stop at more asians or africans. :D

Yeah, because all of those groups have suffered from years of discrimination and terrible abuse... erm.... :rolleyes:

This really just shows up a massive gap in your understanding of the issues.
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with that? It worked. Is there anybody who's been on any kind of reality show who has done it for any reason other than raising their public profile?

Personally, I think the world would be better place without this surfeit of reality shows, which end up rewarding anything except actual talent and hard work. I think it's fair enough to be critical of the whole culture shift it's induced.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

You totally missed out disabled, VQ. ;)

Good morning to my fellow LBC 97.3 listeners. I hope you're all enjoying this glorious weather (if you like it, that is - me? I don't.)

Poor Nick and his Bell's Palsy, I feared for my face last night as I lay in my bed, listening to the Yummy One, with the window wide open and the breeze hitting my left cheek. Thankfully, when I woke up this morning, I could still smile. :)
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would bet money that each of those groups that you mention have a greater representation in the LBC presenting team than minority ethnic people even though most of those groups are a smaller percentage of London's population.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    In a city where 40% of the population are black, Asian or minority ethnic, I don't think it would be too difficult to find at least one presenter that was at least as good as Julia Hartley-Brewer, who sets the bar pretty low.

Yes, we keep hearing that. But I've yet to see any names offered. So.....?
    Forum Member
    Yes, we keep hearing that. But I've yet to see any names offered. So.....?

I think your question is a red herring, BB, and while it might make for some interesting side discussions, it's not really relevant to Jonnie's main point.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I think your question is a red herring, BB, and while it might make for some interesting side discussions, it's not really relevant to Jonnie's main point.

Sorry but I think it's the absolute crux of jonnies point. We have several people bemoaning the absence of black or Asian presenters on LBC but collectively the bunch of radio "experts" on this thread have yet to suggest anyone who might fit the bill.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the first hour of the Ken 'n Dave show but there's far more exciting things happening on Five Live! :)
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I think it's the absolute crux of jonnies point. We have several people bemoaning the absence of black or Asian presenters on LBC but collectively the bunch of radio "experts" on this thread have yet to suggest anyone who might fit the bill.

We'll have to disagree on this. You don't need to have solutions to recognise a problem, IMO. To be fair, your attitude would invalidate 99% of the comments on this thread!
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the first hour of the Ken 'n Dave show but there's far more exciting things happening on Five Live! :)

I m on a train, can't hear any AM stations (nor LBC :( ). What is happening on 5 Live?
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that popular with us maybe, but really, no-one gets a free ride in the media. If anyone isn't performing up to whatever standard they use to measure popularity/revenue they will be let go. That's Showbiz etc etc
    That's why SA pushes the competitions and podcasting so hard. He's crap, but he makes money for them.

I agree a massive shake-up is well overdue but it's just too risky. We'll only be given crumbs. Larry Lamb must be the riskiest thing they've done in years. One try out show then launched?

Good post, BB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have to agree with you on this. I wish somebody could say: 'why is LBC ignoring (insert name of black/Asian presenter) who is far better than (take your choice)? ' I'd listen; there's always a place for quality broadcasters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I m on a train, can't hear any AM stations (nor LBC :( ). What is happening on 5 Live?

It's only on digital. TMS. Fred Trueman gloating over the collapsing Aussies. Radio gold! :D
    Forum Member
    I wish somebody could say: 'why is LBC ignoring (insert name of black/Asian presenter) who is far better than (take your choice)? ' I'd listen; there's always a place for quality broadcasters.

I repeat: We'll have to disagree on this. You don't need to have solutions to recognise a problem, IMO. To be fair, your attitude would invalidate 99% of the comments on this thread!
    Forum Member
    It's only on digital. TMS. Fred Trueman gloating over the collapsing Aussies. Radio gold! :D

Fred Trueman? Are they having a seance?
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:yawn: how can anyone get excited over a game of cricket ?;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Trueman? Are they having a seance?

BiB - I wish, then we could have Johnners and CMJ as well. I meant that other great Yorkshireman, Geoffrey Boycott! :o That's what over-excitement does to you! :D
    Forum Member
    BiB - I wish, then we could have Johnners and CMJ as well. I meant that other great Yorkshireman, Geoffrey Boycott! :o That's what over-excitement does to you! :D

Did you hear the Voices of Summer programme that they ran a few times, including all those old names? It was wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you hear the Voices of Summer programme that they ran a few times, including all those old names? It was wonderful.

No, I didn't. Perhaps I can find it on iPlayer. I believe that quite a few people who aren't especially interested in cricket listen to TMS for the entertainment value.
    Forum Member
    No, I didn't. Perhaps I can find it on iPlayer. I believe that quite a few people who aren't especially interested in cricket listen to TMS for the entertainment value.

I have a horrible feeling that they said it wasn't made available on iPlayer for some reason. But if you can find it, you'd love it.

I love TMS not just for the cricket, but for the gentle, witty banter. To bring it back to LBC and other radio, I enjoy it in the same way that I enjoyed old-style Clive, or Steve Allen, or Danny Baker. Gentle fun, light-hearted, but still themed.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :yawn: how can anyone get excited over a game of cricket ?;)

:yawn: Z zzz
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, because all of those groups have suffered from years of discrimination and terrible abuse... erm.... :rolleyes:

This really just shows up a massive gap in your understanding of the issues.
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I would bet money that each of those groups that you mention have a greater representation in the LBC presenting team than minority ethnic people even though most of those groups are a smaller percentage of London's population.

Thanks Makeba and clitheroe. Your eloquent answers have summed up my feelings better than I could! :) I will also make a mention here of the under or non-representation of the disabled.
This discussion has been closed.