Android up, Windows up, Big screens up, iphone down

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
"phablets" now accounting for 21% of all smartphones shipped in Q3 2013, up from 3% same time last year, so a little over 1 in 5 already.

Windows Phone shipments are up 156%

Android remains at the top increasing its share is up to 81% from 74% this time last year.

iphone down again its market share is down to 12.9% from 14.4%, phone sales failing to keep pace with market growth.

IDC reckons Apple’s failure to release a phablet-style device has had a negative impact on its market share.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24442013

I am sure someone with a maths degree can calculate, at this rate of growth and decline for windows and apple, how long before windows is 2nd place ;)

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    "phablets" now accounting for 21% of all smartphones shipped in Q3 2013, up from 3% same time last year, so a little over 1 in 5 already.

Android remains at the top increasing its share is up to 81% from 74% this time last year.

iphone down again its market share is down to 12.9% from 14.4%, phone sales failing to keep pace with market growth.

IDC reckons Apple’s failure to release a phablet-style device has had a negative impact on its market share.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24442013

I am sure someone with a maths degree can calculate, at this rate of growth and decline for windows and apple, how long before windows is 2nd place ;)

I would need to know whether you are talking market share of units sold or market share of profit made :)

This is the old chestnut of course. Apple's market share of units is bound to decrease as the number of competing manufacturers increases, even though Apple's overall sales rise. All I can say is I'd still rather be a shareholder of Apple than any other single phone manufacturer.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    As a point of interest: at what screen size does a phone become a phablet?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    As a point of interest: at what screen size does a phone become a phablet?

It doesn't. A phone is a phone. It doesn't matter what size it is.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Id say from the wording of the article that they are classing these phablets between 5 and 7 inches
    "Almost all successful Android vendors have added one or more 5-7-inch phablets to their product portfolios," said Ryan Reith, Program Director with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker. "And Nokia’s recent announcement of the Lumia 1320 and 1520 put them in the category as well. In 3Q13, phablet shipments accounted for 21% of the smartphone market, up from just 3% a year ago. We believe the absence of a large-screen device may have contributed to Apple's inability to grow share in the third quarter."
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what seems to be the commonly accepted range, yes.

Never seen a phone below 5 inches described as a phablet, never seen a phone above 5 inches not described as a phablet.
    Forum Member
    So getting on for double the amount of iPhone sales just in phablets very interesting. This obviously doesn't include the HTC one, s3, nexus, minis etc that fall below 5inches.

Certainly seems to put into perspective some peoples claim that android is made up of budget handsets. Also clearly shows that people are moving to bigger screens in drives and apple remains playing catch up.

Such a pity TC dismissed big screens for their customers as they know best.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Percentages without also including the actual number of units is fairly meaningless. It's easy to get big increases in % if the volume is small, and there is no way to see if the total market size is growing so that a negative market share is actually still an increase in units sold.

Lies, Damm Lies and Statistics
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link in the OP gives exact breakdowns in numbers and percentages and tells you exactly whether or not the market is growing.
    Forum Member
    Percentages without also including the actual number of units is fairly meaningless. It's easy to get big increases in % if the volume is small, and there is no way to see if the total market size is growing so that a negative market share is actually still an increase in units sold.

Lies, Damm Lies and Statistics

I was talking actual numbers if you read my post not percentages and as already pointed out all the info you need is in the link.

Look before you leap ;)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well, I don't believe it will happen like that, but at the current rates of windows growth (which I think is unsustainable) and Apple slower growth in units (probably not unsustainable) the figures for

Q3 2015 would be 62million MS phones, 53 million apple phones.
    Forum Member
    You say that but stranger things, if windows can gain some traction who knows, roll on 2015 :D
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that but stranger things, if windows can gain some traction who knows, roll on 2015 :D

I think Windows phone sales will continue. Especially once more people get them there will be more apps and also more people talking about their Windows phone instead of people with Android and the iPhone.

I believe Windows phones are more in competition with the iPhone due to the ease of use and "restrictions".
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    "1 in 5 already.

WIndows phone were starting from such a small base that even 156% may not be that good - after all if I sold two phones and now sell four that's 200%!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,240
    Forum Member
    Next iPhone will be 4.75 to 5 inches high resolution and sales will pick up again. iPhone users will 'upgrade' and new buyers will like it too.
    Forum Member
    Not judging by the apple fans on here who require one handed use and pocketability. Also stretching that screen to 4.7 inches and remaining under the HD threshold will be very hard.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple fans who require one handed use? You're so funny sometimes.

Preferring to be able to more comfortably use a phone with one hand is a perfectly valid preference, and has precisely nothing to do with being a "fan" of Apple.

If you're so interested in numbers you may or may not be interested to know these two titbits:

1. Last year, 16% of people buying the new iPhone were switching from Android. This year the figure was 20%.

2. 66% of Android phones are low(er) end devices selling for $225 or less.

So it depends whether or not you ant to limit your analysis to that one single figure, i.e. market share.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,240
    Forum Member
    Manufacturers are still not giving us what we want. Two steps forward, one step back.

People are just trying to make the best of a fairly average set of phones from all makers. Seeing how things like phone cameras and flashes have actually got worse in some newer phone beggars belief.

The choice of OS is the least of the problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    1. Last year, 16% of people buying the new iPhone were switching from Android. This year the figure was 20%.

So existing Apple owners upgrading has dropped from 84% to 80%? tsk tsk..
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Preferring to be able to more comfortably use a phone with one hand is a perfectly valid preference, and has precisely nothing to do with being a "fan" of Apple.

If you're so interested in numbers you may or may not be interested to know these two titbits:

So it depends whether or not you ant to limit your analysis to that one single figure, i.e. market share.

Its all just still statistics and can always be manipulated to a particular train of thought. Out of the 100 (for maths purposes) who moved to Apple last year 16 had Android phones whereas this year 20 did. Factor into that the total percentage of people who had smartphones this year compared to last year ?? you arent stating that more people swithced to Apple (necessarily) just that a higher percentage had come from a smartphone - of which the most popular brand (currently) is Android.

And have we proved yet whether the 5s has sold more or less than the 5 did (in actual sales to people terms ?) ? 20% this year might actually be fewer than the 16% last year ....

ALL statistics can be worded to lean in which ever direction you wish to be fair ....

Id guess that as a percentage the number switching from iOS to Android would look much smaller (based on total number of Android sales compared to the smaller number of Apple users). As an actual 'number' the figure might be significantly higher.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    So existing Apple owners upgrading has dropped from 84% to 80%? tsk tsk..

lol .... touche .... :cool:
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Close but no cigar - the figure you really want is the proportion of iPhone owners switching from the iPhone to something else, as that figure doesn't take into account iPhone owners who just still with the iPhone they already have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Close but no cigar - the figure you really want is the proportion of iPhone owners switching from the iPhone to something else, as that figure doesn't take into account iPhone owners who just still with the iPhone they already have.

Ah well, we probably also want the proportion of Android owners switching to something else, which isn't what the numbers you quoted show...
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not judging by the apple fans on here who require one handed use and pocketability. Also stretching that screen to 4.7 inches and remaining under the HD threshold will be very hard.

I guess that they will have to invent the iThumb - an extra long prosthetic thumb that fits over your own thumb so you can reach all corners of that MASSIVE display. :D
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    are iPhone sales actually down year on year? Apple has made no secret of the fact it regards market share as insignificant to its future plans. It doesn't reflect the reality, in terms of devices shipped and bought which matters more than martket share, Apple has increased this year on year. They remain the most profitable based on margins. They have as good as conceded they will never be able to keep up with market share purely due to having a smaller product portfolio comparative to that of say Samsung or Sony. The point is moot frankly, as it doesn't bare any relfection on the ability to make money. Obviously its different for Google as Android's gatekeeper, as the more marketshare it has, the more they get in advertising revenue.

Sooner or later market share is going to become an insignificant statistic and the finance industry will look to margins and profitability as a more important measure of success.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

RE:- bit in bold....2 things.

1) Where was this.

2) How do they know this? When i bought my iphone i was never asked what platform i was moving from.

I smell BS.