Thom and Frankie

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
They are the two nicest most likable personalities,. which can go a long way towards winning the glitterball. Could they both be in the final ?

Comments

• Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Quite possibly, if people act defiant to the papers, tweets and trying to please the BBC then yeah a potential chance. :D
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie possibly but Thom bores the life out of me and I don't think he will improve that much to be considered as good as Jake, Frankie Caroline and Pixie.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both I think stand a good chance of making it to final three.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie definitely, Thom - well maybe!
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thom will need a personality first. (Though, I suppose Louis Smith did win...)
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie's great and Thom seems nice, but his dancing is nowhere near her standard and he can seem a bit bland to me.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Frankie is 99% certain to be in the final because, unless she has a complete meltdown which is I'd say very unlikely, there isn't anyone who would beat her in the dance-off, including Pixie and Caroline.

Thom - when he was paired with Iveta in the launch show, I thought WINNER. Then he was rubbish in the first show and I changed my mind. Now, I think it's a possibility - he's a sportsman on a journey, handsome, polite, fantastic partner, the nice sort of dull; if you were to take qualities from all the previous male winners, you'd probably end up with Thom. People call Thom dull but it didn't do Harry or Tom any harm, did it?

But he is totally under the shadow of Jake at the moment - I think all the other men are under the shadow of Jake - and he'll need to get a lot better and he needs Jake to fade for him to have a serious chance of winning. But if Mark and Simon don't improve, their vote could go to Thom when they go, giving him a good chance of getting to the final. I think there will be more than one man in the final, and at the moment Thom looks like a reasonable bet.

I'd agree that Thom and Frankie are nice and likeable. I'd completely disagree with you that they have so far shown themselves to be more likeable or nicer than the others, if that was possible to measure. If they do well, it will be more to do with them being the most beautiful than them coming across as nicer, imo. Lots and lots of nice people this year.

eta: I'm worried this will sound like some sort of passive swipe at Frankie and Thom. It isn't meant like that - I like them both, I think they're good and they've got good chances, both of them. I just got a bit peeved at the idea that the others weren't nice or likeable! :)
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nice and then there is boring. I think both are as boring as they could be, specially Frankie who as beautiful as she is and as good dancer as she is leaves me completely uninterested and utterly engage in her performances. She lacks what in flamenco is called angel.
    But they obviously appeal to the majority so I am pretty sure they both will get far, with Frankie as my choice as the likely winner right now as I can objectively see that has everything going for her. I rather someone else won though.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how Jake appears even more reserved than Thom especially on Itt ( imo ) BuT no one labels him as boring.......
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    Funny how Jake appears even more reserved than Thom especially on Itt ( imo ) BuT no one labels him as boring.......

Totally agree re this - I suppose people are percieved in different ways - I find Pixie and Simon a tad boring yet friends think opposite at the end of the day it should be just down to who dances best - but that rarely counts
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    Totally agree re this - I suppose people are percieved in different ways - I find Pixie and Simon a tad boring yet friends think opposite at the end of the day it should be just down to who dances best - but that rarely counts

I guess we all see things differently BUT I can't help to think that they are some double standards here when it comes to a few contestants...
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie will be in the final, but not Thom. I've got it right almost every year who's going to end up in the final just from how good they were in week one and two. I'm pretty sure who's going to win it too, and it's not who I want :(
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Going on the training footage, I think it will be a very good night for Thom and Iveta with the CCC, and lots of the men have got dances that won't necessarily suit them tonight, which going on top of a good week for them last week, I think will get them growing support. There was definitely massively more support for him on Sunday, after his foxtrot, you could feel it, than there had been the week before, and that gives him something to build on. Plus, I think I'm right in saying that, unlike Jake and others, he hasn't got that much other work on at the same time, so he is much less likely to get exhausted. If Mark and Simon haven't that much support - depends what can be read into their being the b2 - I can't see any reason that Thom won't be really liked and get to the final. I just think he was unlucky week one because he was being hyped as 'all the women want to dance with Thom' and then nerves made his waltz not great. But he's over the nerves now.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reserved is not the same as boring. The fact is some people like what others will label boring, and some what others will say its reserved. I find reserved people intriguing and hence not boring. Reserved is about not putting all of your character/personality/life on show.
    bendymixer wrote: »

BIB Of course!

regarding the second bit, for many it is not who dances best, but simply who makes a better performance and makes you enjoy it more.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

Well, there is a difference between being cool and being boring ;-)
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the opening post of this thread would be an accusation of bottishness.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,399
    Forum Member
    I can't warm to either. I loved Kevin last year with Susannah but not feeling him this year with Franky.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Nice or bland and inoffensive? Thom isn't a good dancer.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thom is dull but eager to please. To compensate, Iveta spends more time with her legs in the air than Mary Magdalene.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member

Yes its funny isn't it? Cognitive dissonance perhaps? Thom has pretty packaging so perhaps we have an expectation that isn't fulfilled and we judge harshly in response. With Jake perhaps the expectation wasn't there so much to start with, although he seems to be gaining sex appeal.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Interesting.

The few rare times I watched EE (dull) I found Jake's character (Max?) equally dull/contrived/trite. Rather like rest of show. But he's an eye-opener (for me, at least) as a dancer. And I like what seems his genuine modesty and reserve.

So, for me (maybe others) definitely not boring (in the snake hips stakes).

Thom and Steve have similar potential, but have yet to catch up with him in dance terms :).
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom is too pre occupied with playing the gentleman and it comes across as dull/needy. He needs to forget about trying to please everyone and start to let out everything he's got, be it good or bad. People might pay more attention to him then.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie seems very calm and relaxed, considering her new presumably retired footballing husband Wayne Bridge, has some pretty punitive monthly financial obligations, regarding the upkeep of his son by French model Vanessa Perroncel which according to Wiki, he must honour until 2024.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie is sweet and endearing. Thom bores me, unfortunately.