Series 7 Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll get some celebrity fans of Doctor Who on the documentary if there is one.

That's all very well, but are celebrity fans any more important than non-celebrity fans? Are their opinions any more valid?
    Frequently celebs are chosen for these sorts of programmes, not because they have anything interesting or insightful to say, but just because of who they are. They are deemed by a tiny proportion of the population to be famous, usually for doing something utterly insignificant, and so that somehow confers on them Celebrity Status, and therefore we should all listen to their pearls of wisdom. No thanks.

I would much rather have informed, insightful comments from genuine fans, and from those involved in the programme who have something illuminating and relevant to say - not just someone from a boy band saying "Oh yeah, the Cybermen, like, they were right scary, innit." Or a comedian that no-one's heard of, going about how hilarious it is that "Daleks, you know Daleks, well they can't even climb the stairs, So you just, like, run up to your bedroom to get away from them, Brilliant!!"
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    That's all very well, but are celebrity fans any more important than non-celebrity fans? Are their opinions any more valid?
    Frequently celebs are chosen for these sorts of programmes, not because they have anything interesting or insightful to say, but just because of who they are. They are deemed by a tiny proportion of the population to be famous, usually for doing something utterly insignificant, and so that somehow confers on them Celebrity Status, and therefore we should all listen to their pearls of wisdom. No thanks.

I would much rather have informed, insightful comments from genuine fans, and from those involved in the programme who have something illuminating and relevant to say - not just someone from a boy band saying "Oh yeah, the Cybermen, like, they were right scary, innit." Or a comedian that no-one's heard of, going about how hilarious it is that "Daleks, you know Daleks, well they can't even climb the stairs, So you just, like, run up to your bedroom to get away from them, Brilliant!!"

Could depend on whether this is for radio or tv, if the latter then I doubt the producers will ignore the usual option of just trawling the bins behind The Comedy Store on Second XI nights, for radio with no anticipation of major ratings they might go for something less crowd pleasing.....Mark Ravenhill is a good start though, serious modern writer...
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Filming on Mark Gatiss’ 50th Anniversary biopic, An Adventure in Space and Time, is set to begin soon.

As previously reported, the 90-minute BBC2 special tells the story of the genesis of Doctor Who since its first broadcast on 23 November 1963.

Gatiss today tweeted:

The day has dawned! Read-through today of ‘An Adventure in Space & Time’. Bill always said that one day he’d come back…

Of course, Bill refers to a certain William Hartnell. There has been no casting revealed yet on who is playing the great man that brought the first Doctor to life. Hopefully we won’t have to wait much longer to find out.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/an-adventure-in-space-and-time-update-44945.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DoctorWhoTv+%28Doctor+Who+TV%29
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cory ‏@trackboy13
    @TomSpilsbury @Markgatiss I know of one of the cast, but when can we expect some announcements Tom?

Tom Spilsbury ‏@TomSpilsbury
    @trackboy13 Soon, I believe. Within the next week, I'd guess.

Cory ‏@trackboy13
    @TomSpilsbury Great News, its all terribly exciting. @Markgatiss must be beside himself with glee. #WhoWillBeHartnell
    Forum Member
    Cannot wait to find out who is going to be playing Hartnell.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it's worth its own thread, and don't really know where to post this but...

DAVID TENNANT IS IN MY OFFICE! :eek:

:o
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Don't think it's worth its own thread, and don't really know where to post this but...

DAVID TENNANT IS IN MY OFFICE! :eek:

:o

Cool, but unless he was filming for series 7 or the anniversary, you're best off posting stuff like that here:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1752421&page=28
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has an Eleven Doctors special been confirmed? I must have missed something!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »

No and Colin Baker has been denying such a thing exists vehemently on twitter.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    No and Colin Baker has been denying such a thing exists vehemently on twitter.

Oh! I'm sort of relieved because however exciting it may be, I think that packing 11 doctors into 60 minutes would mean it's not going to have a fantastic plot. I've seen so many tweets about it being confirmed so I wasn't sure.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

Celebrity fans would have grown up like us as ordinary viewers. And come on, you seriously wouldn't find it thrilling to have Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Bill Clinton (and that's off the top of my head) talking about the show? So yes their opinions are just as valid as yours or mine.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of the these high powered showbiz types sit in front of their telly and turn into a kid again when the show starts. :D

Or perhaps they just sit in front of it watching out for continuity errors and plot holes. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »

Nope, just a hoax seemingly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Nope, just a hoax seemingly.

Weirdly, someone I know popped around for a cup of tea and casually dropped this into the conversation, after admiring my Dalek:

"A friend of mine is working of the 'c-g-i' for the first three doctors for a special, whatever that means..."

E: Just to clarify, this was something he had been told, he isn't one for making stuff up, however, I'm not ruling out he's misunderstood or been told wrong. And if it is happening, doesn't mean it's for THE special. :)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something in the Radio Times.:D
    Moffat told the Radio Times.“We’ll be up in the air, we’re under the water, we’re on a fantastic alien planet, we’re back in time, we’re forward in time, and the Doctor’s greatest secret is in jeopardy.”
    I'm getting excited:D
  • DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Its sad to say but I wouldn't get excited about anything Moffat talks about nowadays.

As a script writer for an individual story he is one of the best.

As a showrunner he is crap.

As a publicist........well, don't give up your daytime job.....oh, on second thoughts.....:D
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davidus wrote: »
    Its sad to say but I wouldn't get excited about anything Moffat talks about nowadays.

As a script writer for an individual story he is one of the best.

As a publicist........well, don't give up your daytime job.....oh, on second thoughts.....:D

It's funny, but anyone saying this is 2010 would have been shot down in flames. I'm glad that more and more people are accepting what the few of us were saying then. As a Doctor Who fan I wish I had been proved wrong, but sadly I wasn't. Let's hope Moffat goes after the 50th and we get someone decent in his place.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly, such thoughts are subjective - and still have nothing to do with the topic at hand. There are plenty of 'Moffat is Crap' / 'We Were Right, You Were Wrong' threads to go around, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davidus wrote:

Hello Davidus, can you define showrunner please?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope Moffat goes after the 50th and we get someone decent in his place.
    not nice:o anyways when the time comes when Steven Moffat wants to move on, won't it take a while for someone to take on what could be called a mammoth task such as Doctor Who.:confused:
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it. Fans will expect a lot from this. Hope it will have some fab acting and writing. Might finally get some answers and tie up lose ends.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    So no one has seen David Bradley confirmed as playing Hartnell in An Adventure in Space and Time then?

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/An-Adventure-In-Time-And-Space-Casting-Announced.aspx
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Just seen Digital Sid's thread on it :o
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't have been Series 7 related, anyway :)
    Forum Member
    It's been talked about but it's not an episode, but a biopic on the origins of the show.

Still looking forward to it though.
This discussion has been closed.