How much for this electrical job?

2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
Forum Member
How mucch approx would/should an electrician charge for these jobs.

A new consumer unit, placed in the same area as the old, and a seperate shower switch combined into it.
5 old light switches swapped for new ones.( the switches are already purchased.
An earth wire connected to an immersion tank.

Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    1 days work , £250 plus materials , depending on where you are in the country ....
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thankyou for that , someone quoted more than twice that plus VAT.thought it sounded a little steep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought around £350/£400 + VAT.

I personally wouldnt do it for any less.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Look here for comparative figures depending on your location.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/prices.html

For replacing a CU, using a decent make (not some cheap chinese sh!t at £50!!), 6-10 circuits, full test & certification I would be looking at £325-350 (here in Yorkshire), PLUS any remedial works such as upgrading meter tails and main earth bonding (gas, water) to meet current regs.

Your quote at ~£500 for all the work listed is not that far off IMO. Remember paulyoung666 said ~£250 PLUS materials which could easily run into another £125-150+ for decent quality stuff.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It was £550 plus VAT, it just sounded a little steep.Thankyou all for the input, its been a great help.

I think what they need to do is get a couple more quotes.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was £550 plus VAT, it just sounded a little steep.Thankyou all for the input, its been a great help.

I think what they need to do is get a couple more quotes.

It is a bit steep, but depends a bit on location, how many circuits, ease of access, state of existing installation etc. Too many variables to quote without seeing the job. Get at least 3 quotes.

It's notifiable work under Part P of the building regs so make sure your electrician is registered with a Part P scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI, CORGI) otherwise there will a local authority fee to pay in addition.
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 days work , £250 plus materials , depending on where you are in the country ....

More like 4 hours work, 2 1/2 hours for the consumer unit, 1 hour for the earth bonding, and 5-10 mins for each switch.

You don't need a separate unit for the shower if you are changing the consumer unit for a new one.

That's how long it would take me, but some tradesmen have delusions of ££££'s

When does a workman get £500 for a days work that's £2,500 a week. Nice money if you can get it for working half days.

Try my builder for a quote, and let them bid for the work

http://www.mybuilder.com/
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I'll do the light switches for £20! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    More like 4 hours work, 2 1/2 hours for the consumer unit, 1 hour for the earth bonding, and 5-10 mins for each switch.

You don't need a separate unit for the shower if you are changing the consumer unit for a new one.

When does a workman get £500 for a days work that's £2,500 a week. Nice money if you can get it for working half days.

I take it he gets to the job thru the use of a transporter, star trek style then.
    And i'm sure he'll find plenty of quality(desparate cowboys) on my builder,or maybe he knows someone down the pub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missille wrote: »
    I take it he gets to the job thru the use of a transporter, star trek style then.
    And i'm sure he'll find plenty of quality(desparate cowboys) on my builder,or maybe he knows someone down the pub.

Agreed, there are a number of these "work men" sites, the traders that actually DO the work are generally one man band part timers. No one else would work for such stupid money.

A qualified electrician has invested heavily in training (including time at apprentice money), tools, assosiation membership (to enable him to actually do the work and sign it off). Vehicle, insurances etc etc. Why should he then do the job for peanuts?
    Forum Member

And yet you missed the most important bit - which a DIYer cannot deal with;

"full test & certification.... " which, of course, takes absolutely no training, knowledge, skill or anytime at all and thus costs nothing :rolleyes:

Maybe you should stick to ripping people off with your cheap tat jewellry and leave us tradespeople to what we know best - our jobs!
    Forum Member
    graham001 wrote: »
    A qualified electrician has invested heavily in training (including time at apprentice money), tools, association membership (to enable him to actually do the work and sign it off). Vehicle, insurances etc etc. Why should he then do the job for peanuts?

THIS ^^^
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missille wrote: »

Yep he'll find honest builders as well as rip off merchants. The honest ones have feedback and give fair prices. No one gets paid to travel to work why should you. You've had it far too cushy for too long. You won't be able to charge those ridiculous prices now recession is here. No wonder Europeans are in so much demand. Most British tradesmen just rip you off.
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    And yet you missed the most important bit - which a DIYer cannot deal with;

"full test & certification.... " which, of course, takes absolutely no training, knowledge, skill or anytime at all and thus costs nothing :rolleyes:

Maybe you should stick to ripping people off with your cheap tat jewellry and leave us tradespeople to what we know best - our jobs!

Yep you're best at ripping people off £550 for 4 hours work. Since when is £137 an hour fair.

lets be honest, its connecting a LNE cables. It's a manual job. That's all, It's not surgery. A quick test with an insulation tester.
    THIS ^^^[
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graham001 View Post
    A qualified electrician has invested heavily in training (including time at apprentice money), tools, association membership (to enable him to actually do the work and sign it off). Vehicle, insurances etc etc. Why should he then do the job for peanuts?

THIS ^^^

Peanuts,
    £550 for half a days work. It cannot be justified so don't even try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep he'll find honest builders as well as rip off merchants. The honest ones have feedback and give fair prices. No one gets paid to travel to work why should you. You've had it far too cushy for too long. You won't be able to charge those ridiculous prices now recession is here. No wonder Europeans are in so much demand. Most British tradesmen just rip you off.

Yep you're best at ripping people off £550 for 4 hours work. Since when is £137 an hour fair.

lets be honest, its connecting a LNE cables. It's a manual job. That's all, It's not surgery. A quick test with an insulation tester.

Peanuts,
    £550 for half a days work. It cannot be justified so don't even try.

Chuckle ,i think its called choice ,no one forces customers to pay anything..
    Are you encouraging people to break the law by using unqualified tradesmen..:D
    No one use those sites apart from the desparate...
    And i put my prices up during this recession just like all other sensible businesses...:eek:
    Forum Member

You can't just do that sum - you've forgetten to deduct the cost of the materials (at least half the total!) and all my fixed costs. £137/hour is so VERY not real you d!ckhead. My time is billed at £25-35 per hour, if I'm lucky that equates to around £7-8 per hour take home after everything else is taken into consideration - it's called running a BUSINESS. Anyway I said my typical cost for the job is around £350 - not £550, so try quoting the right poster in future....

Then come do the job, and let's see if NICEIC agree with you?

Testing (before AND after the job) and certification is at least half the job - there's so much more to it than "A quick test with an insulation tester." Not heard of R1+R2, Ix5 RCD trip tests, Zs, Ze et al? - no I thought not.

90% of the time, adding a new CU with RCDs throws up a whole load of dodgy DIY wiring that more tolerant fuses can handle - that all takes time to sort at EXTRA cost. Unless you want me to certify it as unsafe, turn your electricity off and walk away from your dodgy DIY installation??? :eek:

And before you ask, business is BOOMING thanks - recession or no recession. Doing a lot of putting sh!t jobs right - done by your untrained, and frankly dangerous, (but cheap) Eastern European "electricians". Keep em coming, they're paying for all my holidays.

You really don't have clue do you?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, wiring is so simple we get people on here with posts like "I have taken down my light fittings and have to spare wires and the switches do not work" or can I fit a 13 amp plug in my bathroom". Just ask on DS to get the correct answer ;)

The daft questions that people ask on here about electrical wiring make one wonder why there are not more killed and replies on here like "a quick test with an insulation tester" will sort it even more so

It is not surprising that so many efforts by amateur electricians and cowboy electricians and usually ends in disaster with the professional having to sort it out.

Any qualified electrician will tell you horror stories of cowboy work and amateur bodge-ups they frequently encounter by those who think they know and obviously don't.

I can see the day not too far away when insurance companies will require electrical safety testing to be done on all residential properties regularly and certificates issued before they will cover the property for fire of accident.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't just do that sum - you've forgetten to deduct the cost of the materials (at least half the total!) and all my fixed costs. £137/hour is so VERY not real you d!ckhead. My time is billed at £25-35 per hour, if I'm lucky that equates to around £7-8 per hour take home after everything else is taken into consideration - it's called running a BUSINESS. Anyway I said my typical cost for the job is around £350 - not £550, so try quoting the right poster in future....

Then come do the job, and let's see if NICEIC agree with you?

Testing (before AND after the job) and certification is at least
    half the job - there's so much more to it than "A quick test with an insulation tester." Not heard of R1+R2, Ix5 RCD trip tests, Zs, Ze et al? - no I thought not.

90% of the time, adding a new CU with RCDs throws up a whole load of dodgy DIY wiring that more tolerant fuses can handle - that all takes time to sort at EXTRA cost. Unless you want me to certify it as unsafe, turn your electricity off and walk away from your dodgy DIY installation??? :eek:

And before you ask, business is BOOMING thanks - recession or no recession. Doing a lot of putting sh!t jobs right - done by your untrained, and frankly dangerous, (but cheap) Eastern European "electricians". Keep em coming, they're paying for all my holidays.

You really don't have clue do you?

Friend of mine moved house and was required to have an electrical check done, 1 x new CS required, Earth bonding for kitchen required, and one or two other minor jobs, me being classed as a competent person (Not Part P) would not do the work, (I won't do work where Part P disqualifies me) she received quotes of up to £650.00, just as an aside I looked into applying for Part P, the cost in test gear was something like £2000.00, Public liability insurance (difficult to get for electrical work when you don't do it for a living)plus the cost of the course, all that test gear having to be calibrated as and when necessary...but of course the cowboys come along and just do it, no insurance, no comeback, no nothing.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two things I always get professionals in for are electrical & gas works - I wouldn't risk anyone else doing the job
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I installed new ceiling lights, switches and refitted a new electric shower in my parents house about 5 years ago. They are all still going strong and no problems have arised, infact I reckon my workmanship is identical to that of an electrican whos spent half his life in college. I wouldn't do any major work such are re-wiring or replacing consumer units as I have no clue to them, but one would be able to find the relevent information online.

Moral of my post is, if you are competent to do the work, then do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    I installed new ceiling lights, switches and refitted a new electric shower in my parents house about 5 years ago. They are all still going strong and no problems have arised, infact I reckon my workmanship is identical to that of an electrican whos spent half his life in college. I wouldn't do any major work such are re-wiring or replacing consumer units as I have no clue to them, but one would be able to find the relevent information online.

Moral of my post is, if you are competent to do the work, then do it.

It's great when it goes right ..... very dangerous when it doesn't. Ask Rod Hulls widow.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great when it goes right ..... very dangerous when it doesn't. Ask Rod Hulls widow.
    I thought Rod Hull fell off his roof fixing his TV aerial?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    How mucch approx would/should an electrician charge for these jobs.

A new consumer unit, placed in the same area as the old, and a seperate shower switch combined into it.
    5 old light switches swapped for new ones.( the switches are already purchased.
    An earth wire connected to an immersion tank.

Thankyou in advance.
    5-6 hours work including material/certificate I/we would charge £435 all in.

Jobs not difficult but wiring horrors can unfold as LCD says.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    I thought Rod Hull fell off his roof fixing his TV aerial?

He did, I was responding to Gage who said "Moral of my post is . If you are competent to do the work, then do it!.

I have no doubt Rod Hull felt he was competent, after all It's just an aerial :rolleyes:
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the main price adjuster is what actually is infront of the the poor sparkie when he actually see's the job so that replacing a board and a few light switches has turned into the job from hell since its an 15th century listed building so even the drill bits he uses have to be approved by english heritage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did, I was responding to Gage who said "Moral of my post is . If you are competent to do the work, then do it!.

I have no doubt Rod Hull felt he was competent, after all It's just an aerial :rolleyes:
    Oh! I see, sorry. :)
This discussion has been closed.