How common are psychopaths?

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is very disturbing about psychopaths, besides their sense of special entitlement, is the complete lack of empathy for normal people, for "antisocials (psychopaths) seem to lack a conscience, feeling little or no empathy for the people whose lives they touch...the antisocial effortlessly resists all regulation, unable to see beyond his self-interest or to adopt standards of right versus wrong." [Black, XIII].

So bearing in mind that a psychopath need not necessarily be violent, do you think they are more common than we realise? Have you ever known one? And I suppose more importantly do you have any insights as to why they were this way?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I think I've known a few. That friend most of us have who causes chaos for others, is only concerned with themselves, who never shows empathy and who reacts terribly badly if in anyway criticised, is probably at the lower end of being a psychopath.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psychopaths are usually very refined. think hannibal lecter ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work with one. No friends. Routinely has confrontations with other people who are "in his way". Describes everyone in terms of their perceived class and how they don't react appropriately to his class. Mainly because he comes across as a nutter. Obsessive about everything he does.

We're just waiting for him to go over the edge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    1 in 25, it's estimated. Most psychopaths aren't criminals, and are no more likely to be 'refined' or intelligent than non-psychopaths (so no, *don't* think Hannibal Lecter).
  • goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I work with one. No friends. Routinely has confrontations with other people who are "in his way". Describes everyone in terms of their perceived class and how they don't react appropriately to his class. Mainly because he comes across as a nutter. Obsessive about everything he does.

We're just waiting for him to go over the edge.

narcissist more than psychopath perhaps?
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldielox wrote: »

Or just obsessive and angry. A psychopath isn't just someone who comes across as a nutter or a misfit - if anything it would seem that they're not always that immediately obvious at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    CEOs tend to have psychopathic tendencies, so quite common.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I have met several. Problem with them is unless you know what to look for, you're unlikely to know you're in the company of one.
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    1 in 25, it's estimated. Most psychopaths aren't criminals, and are no more likely to be 'refined' or intelligent than non-psychopaths (so no, *don't* think Hannibal Lecter).

That figure is way too high. Where did you get it?
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say they are a lot more common than is recognised, but because they don't all kill people in horrific ways they go under the radar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    What is very disturbing about psychopaths, besides their sense of special entitlement, is the complete lack of empathy for normal people, for "antisocials (psychopaths) seem to lack a conscience, feeling little or no empathy for the people whose lives they touch...the antisocial effortlessly resists all regulation, unable to see beyond his self-interest or to adopt standards of right versus wrong." [Black, XIII].

So bearing in mind that a psychopath need not necessarily be violent, do you think they are more common than we realise? Have you ever known one? And I suppose more importantly do you have any insights as to why they were this way?

I knew one guy like that. I've spoken about him on here before I think. He seemed 'normal' if a little non-conformist at first but as I got closer to him it was just like...his mind did not work like anyone else's. It was really jarring. The best I can explain it, it was like he didn't see other people as being as real as himself.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Figures are estimated about 1% of the population so I guess we all know or have known someone who is a psychopath. I can think of two people in my workplace that fit the profile
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much more common than most people think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    There's quite a few on the A4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldielox wrote: »
    Or just obsessive and angry. A psychopath isn't just someone who comes across as a nutter or a misfit - if anything it would seem that they're not always that immediately obvious at all.

Yes, maybe you're right in retrospect. The anger and the wound-upness(made up word alert) pour off the guy to the extent that you can feel it when he arrives.

It's widely accepted that the extreme levels of exercise he does is just about enough to stop him toppling into going postal in the office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    skazza wrote: »
    That figure is way too high. Where did you get it?

From 'Without Conscience' by Hare. I think Martha Stout has claimed it too.

*edit* just checked my sources - that's the figure claimed by Stout. According to Hare there are at least 2 million in North America.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    More common than psychotic people, thank God.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say they are a lot more common than is recognised, but because they don't all kill people in horrific ways they go under the radar.

Just popped in to make this point.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one every 4.35 sq miles in the UK. Look out for lorry drivers and middle aged builders wearing curly wigs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    There's one every 4.35 sq miles in the UK. Look out for lorry drivers and middle aged builders wearing curly wigs.

You've seen 'Duel' too many times.
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    i want to meet one
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some psychopaths are very common but you can get posh psychopaths too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some psychopaths are very common but you can get posh psychopaths too.

eg - Ted Bundy. Good-looking (not my taste but anyway), charismatic, educated and pursuing a successful legal and political career.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them are quite posh.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More common than you think:D:D:D:D