Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Coric recently made some comments which seemed to annoy some of my fellow Muzz fans. He said when he plays his best tennis he is like Djoker and when he doesn't he is like Andy. Personally I don't think he was trying to say Andy isn't a good player, but it got people's backs up.

Obviously no one objects to Novak being used as the superior example, unless very biased towards Andy, but it does seem a tad dismissive. Also I think people think it is too early for Coric to be comparing himself to either player! :p

Anyway, pleased Andy got through :)

You'd need the maturity levels of a 5 year old to actually get upset by something like that
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    For sure

I wouldn't give a flying f&&k about anyone else if it meant a) experience v top guys, b) more payday :) and c) more ranking points

Grand he may not get to play but who knows 2 pulling out isn't out of question tbh think it happened in 2011

Obviously Maria is that irresistible. :D
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    You'd need the maturity levels of a 5 year old to actually get upset by something like that

Yes, I honestly don't see why people took it as an insult, it clearly wasn't mean that way. A lot of fans are very sensitive to anything they see as a possible criticism though!

Considering the thrashing Coric recieved at the hands of Andy in the Davis Cup, I think it would be foolish for him to actually criticise the Muzz :p
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pains me to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if Andy beats Djoko tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time in a very long while where I have thought Andy actually has a chance to beat Nole. There is a question mark over how present Novak will be considering he just became a father, and Andy looks like a man on a mission. We shall see. Tired of seeing them meet so early in tournaments!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time in a very long while where I have thought Andy actually has a chance to beat Nole. There is a question mark over how present Novak will be considering he just became a father, and Andy looks like a man on a mission. We shall see. Tired of seeing them meet so early in tournaments!

Well hopefully that will happen less and less in 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Pains me to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if Andy beats Djoko tomorrow.

The smart money is still on a Novak win but if Murray from yesterday turns up it could go really down to the wire

I've always felt Murray at his peak was always a massively tricky match up for Novak, but along with that I've always felt Novak needs to be slightly subpar for Murray to ever beat him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    They must have discussed it. Maybe what he means is that if he hasn't earned it by right he will feel that he's not playing well enough to be competitive and he wouldn't want to turn up just to make up the numbers.

Yes but he should take the reserve place if it's offered to him cause you never know what will happen on match day and one of his opponents could be having an off day. It worked well for him at Queens over the years when Chris Kermode offered him wild cards when he was a virtual unknown. And he is running the ATP finals event now.

He's the type of player who seems to rise to the occasion at the big events and enjoys the attention he gets on the big stage.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coric recently made some comments which seemed to annoy some of my fellow Muzz fans. He said when he plays his best tennis he is like Djoker and when he doesn't he is like Andy. Personally I don't think he was trying to say Andy isn't a good player, but it got people's backs up.

Obviously no one objects to Novak being used as the superior example, unless very biased towards Andy, but it does seem a tad dismissive. Also I think people think it is too early for Coric to be comparing himself to either player! :p

Anyway, pleased Andy got through :)

I like Coric and I am guessing he means he plays more defensively when playing poorly? But I can't see how that could possibly come across as neutral or a compliment in anyway?? It seems pretty insulting to me and he shouldn't compare himself to Djokovic.. I mean can you imagine if Dimitrov said he plays like Federer in good form and Nadal when in bad form? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is Li Na still showing in the rankings, given that she has retired?

She still has points for the tournaments she played this year. Andy Roddick was the same. He was in the top 50 for ages after he retired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh Roger!!

At least we avoid a slamless number 1
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why aren't they removed straight away? What's the point in keeping them in the list?

Just the way it's always been. They've still got the points in the time period. Comebacks do happen too.

Wasn't Henman top 10 Brit years ages he retired? Yet it's much quicker to go now.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See now, I rarely support Fed but today I was expecting and hoping he'd beat Milos so that my warrior Daveed would qualify for London before his match tonight to give me someone to support in Rafa's absence. And what does Fed do?:(

Wouldn't be surprised if he lost on purpose to continue his torture of poor Daveed.>:(:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna laugh if Raonic goes on to win the whole thing after everyone saying there's no way (not that I think he will).

Please David win tonight!!!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I'm off out tonight, but I'm hoping Andy can reverse his recent bad run against Novak,

If he comes through I fancy his chances of winning a first MS event since Miami now Roger (surprisingly) lost.
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny start to the Murray vs Djokovic match

Murray calls tails umpire flicks coin and it lands on the floor umpire says head. Andy looks down "it's tail". Umpire looks again "oh yeah it's tails"

I thought hawkeye was going to be used:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awful start here

Murray clutching back now though it has the "drama queen" air to it
  • Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray is looking tired but still making some amazing shots, this is hopefully good signs when we go to the O2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pretty boring first set, full of rallies and one-sided service games bar the last one

Both players doing fine in fairness, nothing really between them

Can't really see Murray winning from here but he has nothing to lose and if he goes out at least he gets a fine rest for london
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dammit Andy. He was holding his own til that last game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meh expected result I guess

Didn't even bother watching after set 1 Murray isn't coming from behind to beat Novak nowadays

Good bit of rest now for o2

I wouldn't panic at all, Novak is simply a better player than Murray so no complaints.

Looking forward to London now, Andy surely a solid bet to make semis tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the match might be closer based on their form. Well done Djoko anyway. Even though Djoko is my joint fave with Rogi, I would like Andy to beat him again soon. He's my number 2 favourite and I would like Nadal to be the only big 4 player to get owned 7 times in a row by Nole thank you very much :D;)

Onwards and upwards for Andy, we will see how he does in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    See now, I rarely support Fed but today I was expecting and hoping he'd beat Milos so that my warrior Daveed would qualify for London before his match tonight to give me someone to support in Rafa's absence. And what does Fed do?:(

Wouldn't be surprised if he lost on purpose to continue his torture of poor Daveed.>:(:p

I'm the opposite - I always suppport Fed except when he's threatening Djoko's no.1. ;-)
    Ashamed to say I was quite relieved when Raonic beat him.
    Raonic is my least favourite player on tour though - even more so now as I keep thinking about the toilet seat problem :D and I hope Berdy beats him tomorrow.
    Would like Ferrer to win this one and make it to London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the match might be closer based on their form. Well done Djoko anyway. Even though Djoko is my joint fave with Rogi, I would like Andy to beat him again soon. He's my number 2 favourite and I would like Nadal to be the only big 4 player to get owned 7 times in a row by Nole thank you very much :D;)

Onwards and upwards for Andy, we will see how he does in London.

I thought it would have been closer too - Andy had played too many matches and Djoko hadn't played enough - but it ended up being a comfortable win for Djoko.
    Oh and I would like them all to get owned 7 times in a row by him. :D
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To anyone here from outside the UK, Wimbledon ticket applications open tomorrow morning at 9am. Don't forget!

Anyway, great to see Muguruza go 3-0 in Sofia so far. I know not many really care about the tournament, but the field is decent enough this year. Would be great if she could end 2014 with a title.
This discussion has been closed.