Top Up TV on Freesat??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
Forum Member
Is there going to be a Top Up TV service or something like it on Freesat?

(sorry if this has already been covered) :rolleyes:

Bodatron :cool:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bodatron wrote: »
    Is there going to be a Top Up TV service or something like it on Freesat?

(sorry if this has already been covered) :rolleyes:

The clue is in the word Freesat
    Plus, why would you need a service like top_up as the Freesat boxes can already receive around another 400 free to air channels.
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

The Top-up Service is called Sky (and/or Setanta) and requires a different Box! :D
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    The clue is in the word Freesat

Whyever not its on FREEview :D
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »
    No, it's on DTT, not Freeview (which is a subset of DTT of course) ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    There cannot be a top-up tv service with Freesat. The Spec for FreeSat does not make provision for viewing card slots (although humax have included one on the HDR box) and these have not been built into the SD or HD boxes, so there would be no way it could work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Channels

Not all digital terrestrial TV is Freeview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    ............. the Freesat boxes can already receive around another 400 free to air channels.

I've got over 2,000 TV Channels stored on mine, plus over 1,000 Radio ....................

More to life than 28.2/28.5E !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Widget76 wrote: »
    There cannot be a top-up tv service with Freesat. The Spec for FreeSat does not make provision for viewing card slots (although humax have included one on the HDR box) and these have not been built into the SD or HD boxes, so there would be no way it could work.

That's the box I have, so I would have thourght Top Up will come to Freesat - or at least anohter service like it.

BTW - thanks for the sarcastic Freesat comment - Freeview is the same. Some of us don't want Sky - I'd be happy to pay for channels I'd watch, just not all the ones Sky want you to have - plus I want an HD service, without paying Sky's premium on top.

Bodatron:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Widget76 wrote: »

Freeview boxes started off the same- no viewing card slots, but now look - so I'm sure Freesat boxes will all change over time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    the topup tv model is a low cost on demand service (off peak hours used to download content) for just £2.50 a week.

it's up and running on terrestrial I can't see any benefit for going to satellite, as it's easier to get without dishes being involved.

why would they commit more outlay to expand thier service, when they already have much sought after terrestrial space?
    they aint competing with the big players, they are a niche outfit which offers additional programming
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview boxes started off the same- no viewing card slots, but now look - so I'm sure Freesat boxes will all change over time.

Freeview boxes started as OnDigital boxes and had cards and a slot my Dad had one of the first ones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the box I have, so I would have thourght Top Up will come to Freesat - or at least anohter service like it.

BTW - thanks for the sarcastic Freesat comment - Freeview is the same. Some of us don't want Sky - I'd be happy to pay for channels I'd watch, just not all the ones Sky want you to have - plus I want an HD service, without paying Sky's premium on top.

Bodatron:cool:

I was under the impression that Sky had some financial interest in top-up.

If channels are free of Sky, but still subscription, why should they be any cheaper?
  • IanLIanL Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Freeview boxes started as OnDigital boxes and had cards and a slot my Dad had one of the first ones

No, that was Digital Terrestrial Television.

Freeview and Top-up TV took over the bandwidth when OnDigital folded. So Freeview does not include Top-up TV, it sits alongside it - they are both DTT.

If someone markets a STB which includes Freesat and takes a viewing card for extra (encoded) channels which are transmitted for the benefit of those card holders, that does not mean that Top-up TV (or some other name) has come to Freesat.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not!

Its the thin end of the wedge. Once you get some channels becoming pay to view, all of sudden you find the best channels going pay to view.

Freesat should be free. The cam slot should remain for decoding other sats not top ups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote: »
    Indeed.

The Top-up Service is called Sky (and/or Setanta) and requires a different Box! :D

no it isn't - top-up being referred to is the ability to pay for extra channels to those on freeview.

There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat, however if the humax has no card slot a different box would be required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote: »
    no it isn't - top-up being referred to is the ability to pay for extra channels to those on freeview.

There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat, however if the humax has no card slot a different box would be required.

I suspect the irony, as indicated by a grinning smiley, has passed unnoticed.
  • IanLIanL Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    srhill wrote: »
    There is no reason why this shouldn't happen on freesat,.... .

If top-up were to come to Digital Satellite Broadcasting it would not be "on Freesat", just as Top-up TV is not "on Freeview".