Dolby Digital Problem with Sky HD

2»

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Rob Manson wrote: »
    Guys,

Thanks for all your help but I still cannot seem to get the amp to like the optical1 input. The PS3 is fine but the amp won't show the DD icon that it does when I use the PS3. I can get DTS but not DD. I have now managed to break the little door off the opt1 input!!!!

DTS will have to do!

Sky does not carry the DTS format so something is not right.

Definitely sounds like an assignment issue.

I'd disconnect the HDMI cable, double check DD has been enabled in the sound settings on the Sky box and run through the audio settings (HDMI assign and digital input assign) and auto format setting/s, just concentrate on getting audio via optical first, then look at getting the HDMI connected and assigned correctly.

Note: you should be able to locate a HD broadcast that's transmitting DD 5.1 which will help checking the amps outputting the correct format.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would very much doubt you are getting DTS from Sky. Much more likely is that DTS is the default multichannel format for that input. So it's displaying the DTS symbol only because it's not seeing anything else. Once it does see something it should detect the format and display the appropriate symbol.

Which tends to suggest either a fault in some part of the chain or a fault in the configuration. Not helped by breaking off the dust cap on the optical input! The dust cap also acts as part of the retention system holding the plug in place in the socket. Without it it would be very easy for the plug to pull out so breaking the connection. And of course if the dust cap has gone down inside the socket that could be blocking the sensor as well. A bit of folded card might help hold the plug in place as a substitute for the dust cap.

Have you tried configuring Optical 1 to a button on it's own with no HDMI selection to see if that works? Or have you tried swapping the PS3 and Sky box round to see if the PS3 works on both optical inputs or only on 2 and similarly for the Sky box? Always possible optical 1 is faulty. Which swapping them over would show.

It is also possible the optical lead you are using is faulty so if the PS3 works on both but the Sky box works on neither try swapping the cables round between the two. If the PS3 now stops working and the Sky box does then you have a faulty cable. If however the PS3 still works but the Sky box doesn't then the Sky box is faulty.

So baring faulty kit the only option left is faulty configuration. As I posted earlier to set up the Onkyo properly requires diving into two separate menus. So double check all of those for any mistakes. And also the Sky box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Chris, Deacon 9172 mentions autoformat settings. Do I need to do something here? I am going to switch everything round tonight to see what happens. Driving me mad.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Chris, Deacon 9172 mentions autoformat settings. Do I need to do something here? I am going to switch everything round tonight to see what happens. Driving me mad.

Format settings are covered on p36, Onkyo call this Digital Input Signal Formats - so for the Optical input you have assigned for Sky HD the amps display needs to read "Auto".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have to worry about any Audio Format settings. The Onkyo should detect the format of the stream and switch to the appropriate decoder. Not entirely sure it's possible to turn off format detection and fix it to one or other format to the exclusion of all others. Can't recall seeing any such option on my Onkyo 507 (which admittedly is a previous generation to yours)

You can set a default format for an input however. So if you configure an input as a CD player, for example, that will only ever see stereo you could set Stereo as the default format for that input to save a few microseconds as it tries to workout the audio format. But that doesn't stop it switching to some other format as necessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Format settings are covered on p36, Onkyo call this Digital Input Signal Formats - so for the Optical input you have assigned for Sky HD the amps display needs to read "Auto".
    Posts crossed in the ether...

Hadn't spotted that one. I think this must be a feature my 507 doesn't have. The button it refers to is labelled differently on my remote and does different things.
    Forum Member
    I think that's it you know. Sorry if I have been extremely thick here. Here's hoping !!!
    Forum Member
    Guys,

I did a lot of digging last night on problems associated with my actual Onkyo 380 model and apparently there is a glitch in in the design that means that if the SkyHD box is HDMI'ed to the amp - it is impossible to designate the optical sound delivery as the HDMI will always "win". The only way to do this would be to link the HD box straight to the TV and use the optical cable from the HD box to the Onkyo. I did try this but then found myself having to switch between inputs on the TV and still couldn't get the optical sound to work. I have decided to leave well enough alone since I now know there is a glitch in the unit overall and I am not on my own (i.e. I'm not going mad). Thanks for your help and if you come up with anything else just let me know. Cheers.