Options

How is Stacey walking the streets again?

Kestrel1992Kestrel1992 Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a few things with this story that I am confused about. Sorry if they have been discussed before but bear with me...

1. Stacey has been released on appeal due to her bi polar, is that right?
2. I thought appeals took months? (I know this is soap land)
3. Wasn't Stacey meant to be lucid at the time of killing Archie. I am sure I remember reading that was an intended part of the storyline - the twist was that she knew what she was doing.
4. Archie did rape her but this was about three months before she murdered him and she was in no immediate danger at the time. How can she be released due to her bi polar if she was sane at the time of committing an act? Does the law have to consider the fact that she was raped by her victim and did have a mental illness that was under control at the time?
5. She did lie and was happy for others to take the blame for what she did and even fled the country and assumed a new identity. Does this not also need to be considered?
6. Finally, surely if it is determined that her bi polar was the cause behind her actions, then surely she would be in a secure unit for people with mental health problems?

Comments

• Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    There'll be a lot of these type threads in the coming months.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    1. Yes.
    2. They can take anytime.
    3. She was off her pills when she killed Archie.
    4. She wasn't sane.
    5. It was never mentioned so it wasn't considered.
    6. She's on her pills now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise that a person who kills someone isn't probably too stable to start with but I definitely remember reading she was lucid even if they are now saying she was off her medication. Continuity mix up? It just doesn't make sense to me that she should be wandering the streets. I realise it's soap and obviously because it's Stacey the writers/viewers don't mind her getting away with it? I don't condone Archie raping her-but she did kill him and if it is due to her bi polar as everyone keeps saying then shouldn't she be locked away in a secure unit? Maybe I am overanalysing but it just doesn't seem right that she should be out wandering the streets.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    And why would she return to a square where she faced such anguish
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All perfectly valid points but basically Eastenders really wanted and needed Stacey to be back so all plausibility goes out the window.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic example of desire for a dramatic story putting a character into a cul-de-sac. Producers need to think more about long term to avoid ridiculous storylines like this one having to be drawn up.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    The conversation today between her and Roxy made me laugh.

Stacey "So, err, sorry about killing your dad and that"
    Roxy "Oh well, never mind, lets just try to get along, want to come to a party tonight?"

Only in EastEnders...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    1. Yes.
    2. They can take anytime.
    3. She was off her pills when she killed Archie.
    4. She wasn't sane.
    5. It was never mentioned so it wasn't considered.
    6. She's on her pills now.

7. Licenced to kill
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise that a person who kills someone isn't probably too stable to start with but I definitely remember reading she was lucid even if they are now saying she was off her medication. Continuity mix up? It just doesn't make sense to me that she should be wandering the streets. I realise it's soap and obviously because it's Stacey the writers/viewers don't mind her getting away with it? I don't condone Archie raping her-but she did kill him and if it is due to her bi polar as everyone keeps saying then shouldn't she be locked away in a secure unit? Maybe I am overanalysing but it just doesn't seem right that she should be out wandering the streets.

Your making her sound like she's Michael Myers like shes a danger to everyone lol Archie had it coming to him in the long run she did everyone a favour and in general Stacey is a good person.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's honestly better to just forget about it and move on. It wouldn't happen in real life but EE isn't real life. Remember, it's a work of fiction!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also found the Stacey and Roxy meeting bizarre. Roxy was close to her dad even after everything he did. As someone else stated, only in EastEnders!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your making her sound like she's Michael Myers like shes a danger to everyone lol Archie had it coming to him in the long run she did everyone a favour and in general Stacey is a good person.

Killing someone perceived as bad doesn't make you good.

He raped, she murdered. No good guy here.

Even then the rape was a very unconvincing 11th hour reveal. Hopefully DTC has learned from that terrible plot for the conclusion to Lucy's murder.
  • Options
    superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    A lot of people have been saying this and I don't understand. Stacey wasn't ill when she killed Archie, She just used that as an excuse. That was why she was reluctant to appeal because it would've meant lying.

Jean, Kat and Alfie persuaded her by saying how Jean wasn't coping and of course how Lily needed her and this and that, so she appealed and got out. Injustice yes but EE never changed anything.
  • Options
    theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who the hell cares, its a fictional charecter, you lot do take the program far too serously.
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few things with this story that I am confused about. Sorry if they have been discussed before but bear with me...

1. Stacey has been released on appeal due to her bi polar, is that right?
    2. I thought appeals took months? (I know this is soap land)
    3. Wasn't Stacey meant to be lucid at the time of killing Archie. I am sure I remember reading that was an intended part of the storyline - the twist was that she knew what she was doing.
    4. Archie did rape her but this was about three months before she murdered him and she was in no immediate danger at the time. How can she be released due to her bi polar if she was sane at the time of committing an act? Does the law have to consider the fact that she was raped by her victim and did have a mental illness that was under control at the time?
    5. She did lie and was happy for others to take the blame for what she did and even fled the country and assumed a new identity. Does this not also need to be considered?
    6. Finally, surely if it is determined that her bi polar was the cause behind her actions, then surely she would be in a secure unit for people with mental health problems?

Can i just say the title of this tread screams of someone whos very overdramatic
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although Stacey was sane at the time she murdered Archie only Max, Kat, Alfie and Jean know this. She basically lied and blamed the murder on her bipolar and they couldn't prove that she was sane at the time of the killing so she was acquitted.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Stacey was sane at the time she murdered Archie only Max, Kat, Alfie and Jean know this. She basically lied and blamed the murder on her bipolar and they couldn't prove that she was sane at the time of the killing so she was acquitted.

Which means she would be moved to a psychiatric prison/unit....

I'm fed off how stupid they are treating us with how Stacey is back and Alfie going broke without resorting to benefits/getting a job off the square/asking for help.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey was sane when she killed Archie, but Jean encouraged her to lie and say that she wasn't.

The appeal took just over 2 weeks. It was ridiculous, as the lawyer didn't even say there was a chance she'd go to a secure unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all this is mind, why did they ever make Stacey the killer? Couldn't they of kept Peggy as the murderer and made it her exit storyline and keep the secret between the Mitchells, saying she did it for the family and all that. I don't think they would turn Peggy in and the character will probably not return now, if only for guest appearances.
    Stacey is still young and has a lot of life left in her as a character and this storyline has completely messed her up in terms of direction. If they really had to make her the killer, they could of planned it better and made her exit in 2010 a prison sentence and have her serve time and then look into whether she was sane or not at the time of the killing. Stacey was always going to return as she is such a popular character but unfortunately this ridiculous storyline has ruined it a bit for me. She should really be in a secure unit if she has a mental illness and has killed as she could pose a threat again, regardless or not if Archie was evil and raped her and she is really a good person. :confused:
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is Phil allowed to walk around the streets, he's an arsonist, a Kidnapper, and hasn't fully paid his time.

And Veronica Mitchell. Kiddy Snatcher, ok she has done her tine, BT to make her pregnant is wrong, ooh yes and a murderer.

Stacey has every right
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One foot after the other presumably. A hot murderess.
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Even then the rape was a very unconvincing 11th hour reveal. Hopefully DTC has learned from that terrible plot for the conclusion to Lucy's murder.

I disagree.

Stacey and Archie had a confrontation in the laundrette and the scene cut just as he'd grabbed her. The next time we see Stacey she's jumpy, nervous and clearly paranoid. She told Jean how Archie attacked her but the word rape was never actually mentioned. Plus, the other characters just assumed she was spouting erratic, paranoid nonsense again - she had also believed Ryan and Bradley's girlfriend were plotting to kill her, she gatecrashed Trina's funeral and thought they were burying her alive etc.

The whole thing was ambiguous as the scene in the laundrette cut away. Probably a calculated move by the writers to plant the seed or a motive for Stacey but overshadow the moment with big, hard-hitting, memorable scenes where she was sectioned immediately after it - so that moment is all you remember from the time.

That explains why a lot of viewers probably felt blindsided when Stacey revealed in the Christmas episode that Archie had raped her. Of course, the focus immediately went to Bradley's anger so we were led to believe he was more capable of the murder because he had a strong reaction.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The conversation today between her and Roxy made me laugh.

Stacey "So, err, sorry about killing your dad and that"
    Roxy "Oh well, never mind, lets just try to get along, want to come to a party tonight?"

Only in EastEnders...

I couldn't believe that!:o

We've already jumped through enough hoops to excuse Stacey being freed. The writers are really taking the piss expecting us to believe Roxy is fine enough with her dad's murderer to invite her to a party!:o

Do Roxy and Stacey even need to occupy the same orbit? Surely it would be just as easy to have Roxy tell Stacey she'll never forgive her and then never give them dialogue together again. It's not like Roxy is some huge character who appears constantly. She's hardly in it these days. EastEnders writers always go that extra step to take the piss:D
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also found the Stacey and Roxy meeting bizarre. Roxy was close to her dad even after everything he did. As someone else stated, only in EastEnders!

I don't think Roxy ever truly believed Archie raped Stacey or Ronnie. The scene was completely absurd and was a case of plot leading characer. Similarly I found the scene of her comforting Alfie a bit strange since he ruined her life less than a year ago.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree.

Stacey and Archie had a confrontation in the laundrette and the scene cut just as he'd grabbed her. The next time we see Stacey she's jumpy, nervous and clearly paranoid. She told Jean how Archie attacked her but the word rape was never actually mentioned. Plus, the other characters just assumed she was spouting erratic, paranoid nonsense again - she had also believed Ryan and Bradley's girlfriend were plotting to kill her, she gatecrashed Trina's funeral and thought they were burying her alive etc.

The whole thing was ambiguous as the scene in the laundrette cut away. Probably a calculated move by the writers to plant the seed or a motive for Stacey but overshadow the moment with big, hard-hitting, memorable scenes where she was sectioned immediately after it - so that moment is all you remember from the time.

That explains why a lot of viewers probably felt blindsided when Stacey revealed in the Christmas episode that Archie had raped her. Of course, the focus immediately went to Bradley's anger so we were led to believe he was more capable of the murder because he had a strong reaction.

We only have the murderers word that she was raped.