The event

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
Forum Member
Has this been scrapped, it hasn't been on for a few weeks?

Comments

• tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    No more new episodes until the end of February in the US, so I'd expect C4 to show them soon after.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pretty much expect it to be axed, I expect that they will be very little in the way of promotion after the over extended mid seanon break in the US, viewers will not know it has returned and ratings will colapse, same as Flash Forward Last year.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pretty much expect it to be axed, I expect that they will be very little in the way of promotion after the over extended mid seanon break in the US, viewers will not know it has returned and ratings will colapse, same as Flash Forward Last year.

Yes, same as Flash Forward (and Jericho previously), a show with a good concept at the heart of it but with some big problems in scripts, actors and production. The Event isn't beyond rescue but the mid season break will lose all but the hardcore of viewers.

Since Lost, writers and producers have been trying to come up with the next "Big Concept" show and keep failing. It's one thing having a great idea but you have to follow it up with quality writing, casting and production.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They hype these concept shows, like FF and The Event in pre series promotion then fail to deliver, the problem with a lot of these type of shows is that the concept in most cases only lends itself to a 10 week mini series but the Networks want full multi season shows, so they end up being over padded viewers get bored and they end up getting axed without resolution. I think the net works shoud try to go with tighter plotted shorter runs and they would not end up with problems like this.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    No more new episodes until the end of February in the US, so I'd expect C4 to show them soon after.

It returns March 7th in the U.S.

I'm loving it so far, people are so nitpicky after Lost...not that this compares in any way. You know a show is good if everything trying to emulate it fails horribly!

I get goosebumps thinking about Lost still, god that was good. We'll probably never have anything like it ever again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »

I get goosebumps thinking about Lost still, god that was good. We'll probably never have anything like it ever again.

We should all pray to god we are never subjected to anything like Lost ever again:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    It returns March 7th in the U.S.

I'm loving it so far, people are so nitpicky after Lost...not that this compares in any way. You know a show is good if everything trying to emulate it fails horribly!

Lost good!!!! it was the most dire piece of cack ever seen on TV. Emulating that would be a travesty. Sorry dont mean to be rude but really lost and good in the same sentence is just not right.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    anielled wrote: »
    Lost good!!!! it was the most dire piece of cack ever seen on TV. Emulating that would be a travesty. Sorry dont mean to be rude but really lost and good in the same sentence is just not right.

No, it was outstanding, and nothing said by people incapable of appreciating it will change that.:)
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the first show, but its all because of the mystery - once you sort of find out whats going on it was a bit crap. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the show - reminds me a bit of The 4400.

Anyway I think the problem these days is that we get a new show too soon after it has started in the US and are therefore governed by their strange timetable :mad:. Back in the day when we had to wait a year or more to get a show or new season thereof, when it started it ran continuously to the end of the series as any mid-season/Xmas/Easter hiatus was absorbed.

I guess it's one of those 'unexpected consequences' moments :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No, it was outstanding, and nothing said by people incapable of appreciating it will change that.:)

lol fair enough, I didnt mind the actual concept to begin with but it was blatantly clear the writers behind lost didnt have a clue what their own plot was. It had so many holes in it was embarrassing.:eek:Pity, it could of been a good show.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An entire episode devoted to finding some bandages and sutures. Nothing else happened, literally nothing. :rolleyes:

This series sucks ass worse than FF. Can you say CANCELLATION?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Loved the first show, but its all because of the mystery - once you sort of find out whats going on it was a bit crap. :cool:

I still think there is a huge twist awaiting soon (assuming it hasn't been cancelled by then). Everyone is assuming they are aliens but it has never been explicitly stated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    So can somebody tell me where Channel 4 was up to with The Event before it stopped before Christmas? I'm sure the Radio Times stated it had 22 episodes or something around that figure...are we up to episode 10...or 11...or 12?! :confused:

I like it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    So can somebody tell me where Channel 4 was up to with The Event before it stopped before Christmas? I'm sure the Radio Times stated it had 22 episodes or something around that figure...are we up to episode 10...or 11...or 12?! :confused:

I like it!

As previously mentioned in this thread, the show is on an extended hiatus in the US. Shows in the US don't air all their episodes continuosuly without interruption like in the UK. Over there they frequently have breaks in order to make sure that a 22 episode series stretches to 32-34 weeks that makes up American TV year.

Most US shows normally break off end November and return during January and February.

In The Event's case, the show is on extended hiatus (returns end Feb with a recap show and new episodes March) due to the show going in for retooling / repairs. The programme has suffered a great ratings decline and in order to salvage it, the network has ordered a number of changes.

The show resumes March and will possibly follow shortly after in the UK as the next batch of US episodes will air almost with no interruption due to there not being enough weeks left (util end May) for the show to take many breaks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Thanks spaintv,

nicely explained!

MB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Given recent events in Japan, the reference to Chernobyl and nuclear fuel rods in last night's episode is a remarkable coincidence.