BT Fibre optic BB

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Strange.

There was a couple of BT open reach vans up by the cabinet as I go to work, they was putting some yellow tubing under the ground. According to the engineer it was for the fibre to go down, so it looks like Bt is starting to do something here. there is a bridge there and all pipes and cables go along the side of the bridge on a platform type of thing, gas, water, electric, phone, it is scary really so many cables and pipes close to each other.

i still can't see it happening until another 12 months, even if they say we will have it in June., putting tubing down means nothing.

Lad at work was pretty interested as he is waiting for Fibre since he can only get 2 megabits if he is lucky and he said with a family of teenagers that is not fast enough.

no doubt some people will find the extra speed useful if they want to pay for it.

The fibre could be for anything: mobile phone transmitters, extra fibre between exchanges etc. Does your area have a go live date for FTTC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Ah, but do you download anything heavy at peak times? Anyone just surfing websites on their old ADSL connection would have had maximum speed all the way through peak time.

Yes, I'm talking downloads. It just never slows down, honestly.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    The fibre could be for anything: mobile phone transmitters, extra fibre between exchanges etc. Does your area have a go live date for FTTC?

yes, end of June, it is certainly for FTTC fibre. the end is sticking up a few feet away from the cabinet i noticed today
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, end of June, it is certainly for FTTC fibre. the end is sticking up a few feet away from the cabinet i noticed today

Oh right, well then yes that's what it is for then. I'm not sure why you were so sceptical then if you have a date of June and have seen Openreach laying fibre.

My exchange had a live date of 31st March and a day later I could order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, well then yes that's what it is for then. I'm not sure why you were so sceptical then if you have a date of June and have seen Openreach laying fibre.

My exchange had a live date of 31st March and a day later I could order.

They was not laying fibre they was laying tubing for fibre to go into. BT bloke said it was for fibre. Sceptical? Because it is Bt and this is Hereford, we are normally 15 years behind everybody else. Not that it really bothers me.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    End of June is not long Noise, you'll be on FTTC and at last getting a good speed :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    They was not laying fibre they was laying tubing for fibre to go into. BT bloke said it was for fibre. Sceptical? Because it is Bt and this is Hereford, we are normally 15 years behind everybody else. Not that it really bothers me.

The work is done in stages...Ducting first...then a new FTTC cab will be installed near to the existing one and then the connection to the new cab will be made. once this is done you will be able to order. The exchange work will already have been done, however, cab installs take longer as it requires council planning agreements and power installation etc...Keep an eye on your Cab and as soon as you see a new one next to it you should be able to order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, but do you download anything heavy at peak times? Anyone just surfing websites on their old ADSL connection would have had maximum speed all the way through peak time.

Here's how Infinity performs at peak time:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebarry/6970221424/in/photostream/
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am from hereford to noise and they have been putting yellow tubes/pipes near me
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're on Infinity but only getting 21meg on the Desktop, wired with Ethernet cable but 50meg on the laptop!! Same Speedtester :confused: . Any idea why that is? He says it may be our PC as it's fairly old, well 6 years and it may fluctuate anyway for a few days. I thought wireless would be slower like it was before we went on this. Wired was always a bit faster but opposite now.:confused: He got 50meg on his tester too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well according to the BT spedtest we're getting 47.79meg on this desktop so must be the other speedtester then!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're on Infinity but only getting 21meg on the Desktop, wired with Ethernet cable but 50meg on the laptop!! Same Speedtester :confused: . Any idea why that is? He says it may be our PC as it's fairly old, well 6 years and it may fluctuate anyway for a few days. I thought wireless would be slower like it was before we went on this. Wired was always a bit faster but opposite now.:confused: He got 50meg on his tester too.

If your computer came with Vista I'm not sure how he could have indicated that your computer wasn't fast enough. Computers, Vista onwards (that have hardware from 2006 onwards), should be quite adequate for the Internet/router. Can't understand that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    End of June is not long Noise, you'll be on FTTC and at last getting a good speed :)
    The work is done in stages...Ducting first...then a new FTTC cab will be installed near to the existing one and then the connection to the new cab will be made. once this is done you will be able to order. The exchange work will already have been done, however, cab installs take longer as it requires council planning agreements and power installation etc...Keep an eye on your Cab and as soon as you see a new one next to it you should be able to order.

I know how it is done, or have a good idea anyway, there was someone at the cabinet this afternoon when i was coming home from work, but i think that was just normal and nothing to do with fibre.

i still don't know where they going to put the cabinet, where the tubing comes out, if they put a cabinet there than it will be in the way of a street name sign, as the other one is on the other side of it.

Who said I am going to order? at the moment i don';t see the need for that speed, certainly don't see the need to pay out extra for it.

no doubt I will have Talk Talk at the door again, or leaflets from Bt and Talk Talk, trying to get me to sign up with them. not going to happen even if I did go for fibre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooltv wrote: »
    I am from hereford to noise and they have been putting yellow tubes/pipes near me

and no doubt that is how it will stay for months, this is Hereford after all and that is BT.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how it is done, or have a good idea anyway, there was someone at the cabinet this afternoon when i was coming home from work, but i think that was just normal and nothing to do with fibre.

i still don't know where they going to put the cabinet, where the tubing comes out, if they put a cabinet there than it will be in the way of a street name sign, as the other one is on the other side of it.

Who said I am going to order? at the moment i don';t see the need for that speed, certainly don't see the need to pay out extra for it.

no doubt I will have Talk Talk at the door again, or leaflets from Bt and Talk Talk, trying to get me to sign up with them. not going to happen even if I did go for fibre.

You'll order it asap its available, its in your nature, you need it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your computer came with Vista I'm not sure how he could have indicated that your computer wasn't fast enough. Computers, Vista onwards (that have hardware from 2006 onwards), should be quite adequate for the Internet/router. Can't understand that.

It doesn't have Vista though!
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member

It's not that they are unable to get the download speed it's that they could be too slow in the cpu department to run the speed test sites at full speed. This pc (6 years old) cant show the full line speed on speedtest anymore since the infinity upgrade but can download at full speed from steam etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You'll order it asap its available, its in your nature, you need it:)

No I won't and I don't really need it, like I don't really need the internet full stop, it is just useful.

I will also tell you why I will not order it as soon as it is available.

(1) I don't want to pay £100 activation, I can find better things to spend that on.

(2) i don't want to spend more per month and get less, which is what I would be doing if I went to fibre, I may get faster speed, but less data usage.

(3) With the hassle I had with BT ADSL infrastructure over the years, I am not sure if I want to go back on a Bt system
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,453
    Forum Member
    That must have only took about 9 minutes according to Google's calculations. This is for a single layer DVD.

Yes, 8 minutes in fact as the DVD was filled to slightly less than capacity.

Did some speed tests at 8pm this evening, which is pretty well THE peak time IIRC. Unusually, I couldn't get much more than 60 Mbps download speed out of any speedtest.net server, though I still had 16Mbps upload. The BT speedtest servers were completely up the creek without a paddle and are best forgotten. VMspeed has now blocked access from BT (unsurprisingly) but bbmax was still close to maxing out, at 68 Mbps down.

So I suspect that if anything, general net congestion is the problem at peak times, not BT Infinity. There has been no deterioration in the usability or responsiveness of the service at peak times but I can obviously only speak for myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I won't and I don't really need it, like I don't really need the internet full stop, it is just useful.

I will also tell you why I will not order it as soon as it is available.

(1) I don't want to pay £100 activation, I can find better things to spend that on.

Says in your services that you already have ADSL so why would you need to pay for activation?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says in your services that you already have ADSL so why would you need to pay for activation?

I've never seen anyone on this forum mentioning anything about a £100 activation fee for their fibre optic broadband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen anyone on this forum mentioning anything about a £100 activation fee for their fibre optic broadband.

No they just charged us £6.95 for new Home Hub 3. Tried to get out of paying that but he wouldn't listen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ISP i use have a £99 connection fee for fibre, I know they area small company and they can't really offer it for free like BT and sky. Saying that Talk Talk charges £30 activation and a mate of mine said vivaciti is about £60, so ADSL24 is charging a bit much for activation.

Saying that, I still don't want to pay £60 activation at the moment for something that is to be honest not important.

It also costs more per month for more speed but less data. the service i am on is unlimited, if I went fibre it would not be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they just charged us £6.95 for new Home Hub 3. Tried to get out of paying that but he wouldn't listen.

But you are on about Bt, don't forget Bt are not the only isp that offer fibre service, even if they do have to use Bt equipment.

the home hub 3 is not even worth £6.95, it is a hybrid and not made for one thing or the other and it over heat.