Options

From Leading Lady to A Bit Part Player- The Rise and Fall of Sharon...

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Genuine question. Unless I've read this wrong/taken it the wrong way it sounds like in your opinion the leading lady should be young. Why? Why should older women be consigned to being supporting players for the 'hot' females? EE never used to be like this when it started and probably why it was a damn sight better show in those days.

Don't get me wrong, IMO no character should be the 'lead'. EE is supposed to be an ensemble piece in which all ages find something of interest.

I can see where the poster is coming from. Many of the best s/ls in the early years involved the younger cast. Michelle's pregnancy, Punk Mary, the death of Kathy's daughter Donna, Simon's parentage, Ian and Cindy and of course Sharongate.

I agree with you that there should not be a lead character, particularly when we have so many good actors in the show.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jacqueline Jossa is overated if you ask me...
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

The bid to make Lauren the show's ''It Girl'' is forced and contrived. When Sharon, Tiffany, Stacey, etc. were the breakout stars it felt natural. I don't get that with Lauren and frankly they picked the wrong character and actress because Lola is effortlessly taking on the role they want Lauren to occupy. Give it up already, Ashdown.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The bid to make Lauren the show's ''It Girl'' is forced and contrived. When Sharon, Tiffany, Stacey, etc. were the breakout stars it felt natural. I don't get that with Lauren and frankly they picked the wrong character and actress because Lola is effortlessly taking on the role they want Lauren to occupy. Give it up already, Ashdown.

Have to agree. A few years ago I thought it was Whitney that was going to be the no 1 teen but then they dropped her for Lauren. Lola is naturally impressive and I don't think they foresaw that happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Have to agree. A few years ago I thought it was Whitney that was going to be the no 1 teen but then they dropped her for Lauren. Lola is naturally impressive and I don't think they foresaw that happening.

It doesn't seem like they're willing to acknowledge it either as they're still forcing Lauren down our throats. Bloody Brannings!:mad:
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked Sharon in her last stint, maybe it because Den/Dennis were around or the show was better (IMO). This time, I can't stand her. The actress can't act, her facial expressions are awful, the character doesn't seem to be working and she comes across as if she's better than everyone else. b*tch please! Get over yourself
    BIB I agree with this. Her facial expressions, i.e. the thing she dos with her mouth and the bobbing up and down are annoying. I agree that Letitia Dean's acting is bad.
    We know you hate Sharon or Letitia Cuddly Cat...you say it all the time!
    "...you say it all the time". You have made numerous Sharon threads. I just disagree with you about the character and the actress.

Jacqueline Jossa is a great actress. She's better than Letitia Dean and much easier on the eye. Jossa'a portrayal of an addict has been well acted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really don't like Letitia do you!
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Sharon's character has been pretty dragged out but yeah, I wouldn't call her dated. I do think she's past all the love affairs and marriages now though. I think we should see her hit rock bottom and go in to something like prostitution. Throughout all of Sharon's life, she had been frequently let down so I think she's at the point where she's so depressed that she'd grab any love or attention from anyone. From there, I think we should see her repair her life and get back on track.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anybody needs saving its Sharon. I just hope DTC can do this because we want to see the real Sharon again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the real leading lady of Albert Square at the moment?
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    Jacqueline Jossa is a great actress. She's better than Letitia Dean and much easier on the eye. Jossa'a portrayal of an addict has been well acted.

I'm sorry but :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Screeching, gurning and flinging your limbs around is not good acting...

Her "acting" was absolutely awful during that storyline. As it has been since.
  • Options
    soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think Sharon completely pissing off everyone in the Square maybe a good thing, and here's why...

Sharon pisses off all and sundry and no one wants anything to do with her, this send her to breaking point and she turns to the bottle (or Gin) to drown her sorrows in the Vic one night, and starts having a go at all the people who have turned their back on her and she starts an argument with someone (Dot/ Shirley/ Kat/ Carol/) this leads to her walking out when she is told a few home truths. Feeling bad, whoever has a go at her, goes after her to find her back at the B&B opening another bottle of Gin (a la Angie) this leads to a 2 hand episode where her back story is explored, Sharon realises she's been a complete and utter bitch to everyone, but we find out it's because it's a defense mechanism (like how Janine has become). She then realises that Denny is an misbehaved child who needs some discipline and she sends him off to a strict boarding school, and then goes around the square trying to make amends to everyone. As much as I'm loath to suggest it, I do believe she needs to get into a relationship with Phil, get to the point when they are going to get married and then discover that he had a hand in Dennis' death, get married to him and then take him for everything he has! :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who knows what DTC has planned but the rumour mill is that Sharon will have a big year next year.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    billio wrote: »
    Sharon's character has irritated me from the very beginning, such a soppy girlie to start with, then always codependent with various men. Doesn't see to have any interests other than cashing up tills and getting involved with unsuitable men, too quickly.

Same here I don't understand her appeal at all and I have watched the show on and off since it started. The only interesting thing that ever happened to Sharon was Phil and Grunt and they both surpassed her very quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Sharon actually going to be on screen again this year?

The last time she appeared was when she clashed with Carol in The Vic...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will DTC resurrect Sharon like he said he plans to do?

What does everybody think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will DTC resurrect Sharon like he said he plans to do?

What does everybody think?

I'll tell you one thing. If he plans to put her in a relationship with Max Branning you can start saying your goodbyes to Sharon now. He has ruined every woman he's ever been in a relationship with. The second I hear this is what's on the horizon for Sharon is the second her ruination is complete.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I dont think Sharon should be in a relationship at all. She has always presented herself as an independent woman but the character is known for her high profile relationships (Sharongate, Shannis) so would be nice to see her as a strong woman without a man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tell you one thing. If he plans to put her in a relationship with Max Branning you can start saying your goodbyes to Sharon now. He has ruined every woman he's ever been in a relationship with. The second I hear this is what's on the horizon for Sharon is the second her ruination is complete.

Max will end up with Roxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanMandy wrote: »
    To be honest, I dont think Sharon should be in a relationship at all. She has always presented herself as an independent woman but the character is known for her high profile relationships (Sharongate, Shannis) so would be nice to see her as a strong woman without a man.

I agree - she needs to rebuild her life without a man until the right one comes along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max will end up with Roxy.

Bye Bye Roxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bye Bye Roxy.

Roxy is a DTC favourite- I can't see her being axed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxy is a DTC favourite- I can't see her being axed.

I didn't say DTC would axe her. He won't be EP forever and her future prospects under the next EP won't look promising if we take Tanya, Vanessa and Kirsty as examples.
  • Options
    soapfan2005soapfan2005 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for character resolution she needs to be in a relationship with Phil for if/when she finds out that Phil had a hand in Dennis' death, other than that, I think she should be a strong single woman for a while and her next relationship should be with someone not on the Square, like her relationship with the fireman, or the priest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Friday's episode showed signs that Sharon could still be one of the shows leading ladies again.