Options

My dog keeps retching/choking

JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have a gorgeous rescue spaniel who seems fine in every other way except that she makes this awful choking noise every so often. It is mainly associated with drinking water (it never seems to happen after eating solid food). She will lap up water quite quickly and after a few seconds she will make this retching noise as if she is about to be sick. She does it once or twice and that is it.

However over the past week or so she has been doing this more often, even when she is scratching herself with her back leg. Her collar is one of those adjustable ones that is quite loose when she is not on the lead and then gently pulls together when she is on the lead so she is not being choked by this.

The other day she retched so violently that she was sick.

She had a full check up only a few months ago by the rescue's vet and everything was normal. She has had all vaccs (including Kennel Cough). She has been doing the retching after drinking her water since we first got her so I am thinking if it was something serious (to do with heart or lungs) the vet would have picked it up.

Anybody elses dog do this? At first we thought it was amusing as it sounds quite human but now I am getting a bit worried! :(

Comments

• Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    My dog does it do to. I tend to find he eats the grass from in the back garden and rushes his water down and makes a retching noise. I'd guess it is the grass that does it to my dog not sure about yours though.

Worth having a look to see what happens if your dog does happen to eat grass.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    We have a gorgeous rescue spaniel who seems fine in every other way except that she makes this awful choking noise every so often. It is mainly associated with drinking water (it never seems to happen after eating solid food). She will lap up water quite quickly and after a few seconds she will make this retching noise as if she is about to be sick. She does it once or twice and that is it.

However over the past week or so she has been doing this more often, even when she is scratching herself with her back leg. Her collar is one of those adjustable ones that is quite loose when she is not on the lead and then gently pulls together when she is on the lead so she is not being choked by this.

The other day she retched so violently that she was sick.

She had a full check up only a few months ago by the rescue's vet and everything was normal. She has had all vaccs (including Kennel Cough). She has been doing the retching after drinking her water since we first got her so I am thinking if it was something serious (to do with heart or lungs) the vet would have picked it up.

Anybody elses dog do this? At first we thought it was amusing as it sounds quite human but now I am getting a bit worried! :(

It sounds like kennel cough. The vaccine doesn't guarantee they won't get a cough.

Take her to the vet. If she has got a cough, her temperature will be raised.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, sounds like it could be kennel cough. My dog has the spray up the nose by the vet every year for it but it doesn't mean they're totally immune. My dog caught kennel cough a few weeks' ago. If she's not distressed with it and is eating just monitor her. That's what my vet told me to do with my dog. If it's a mild strain it'll go out of her system eventually (took my dog 3 weeks to stop altogether). But if she seems like she's becoming distressed or feels hot to touch call your vet.

Also, have you treated your dog for lungworm? That's doing the rounds and can be fatal for a dog. I don't know the symptoms but my vet gave me a flea treatment with a lungworm treatment incorporated and I just had to squeeze the drops onto the back of his neck. Better safe than sorry.

Hope your dog is feeling better soon
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPUX8mnFE4

My dog does it, she has done since we got her (10 years), she does it after drinking water too fast or eating too quickly. The vet said its something to do with the soft palate at the back of her throat. we just shout her name and usually she stops!

Though, she did nearly choke to death last week. She was doing this thing, then coughed something up, but because she was still breathing in she breathed in whatever she coughed up! She ended up with her legs collapsing under her while she was trying to breathe, and us panicking trying to pat her back / call the emergency vet. She managed to cough up whatever it was and breathe again.