Forums on your mobile: a call for testers!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Is there any way to Put the next page/previous page arrows at the top of the page as well as the bottom? It's a pain to repeatedly scroll down a page, especially when it's been a very wordy page, when I want to continue where I was reading from. For example I might be reading through a 12 page thread but I want to read from page 5 because I read some earlier.

This seems to be quite a popular request, we'll look into it for a future version.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The keyboard on my tablet completely covers the text input box on the mobile version. So back to the desktop one.

Which tablet do you use? Although the skin is not really intended for tablets we have tested it on iPad and android tablets with no issues.
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    *cough* tapatalk *cough*

We're not interested in integrating tapatalk at this time, sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing its been mentioned already? But the ability to jump to the bottom/back to the top would be brilliant.
    Also, if the arrows to move through the pages could be replicated at the top that would also be super.
    And to somehow enable an ability to let us enter which page we want to go to would be excellent :-)

Overall, I like the mobile site. It's just a bit of a pain navigating through threads/posts on the forums.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Out of curiosity, apart from choice of smilies (which you can still do with the applicable codes) and perhaps search, what other features would you use that are missing?

Didn't really like the black & white layout, not functionality I know but I don't really like change:p;)
    Clicking on a user then being able to see previous posts by them (apologies if this is there, I didn't hang around long enough before changing back).

As you've stated this is presumably for mobile phones and I was reading this on a tablet, so probably this doesn't apply.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Not sure if its broken or not but the main site looks all over the shop on my nexus 7!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having trouble editing a post I made on my mobile, I can't do it on my mobile and i'm unable to do it on my PC.

My post, logged in as me, the option just isn't there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    I love AV Forums app.

so easy to post a picture with your mobile
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Probably brought up before but editing a message is a nightmare
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A choice of colour scheme would be most welcome. For example white text on black for reading in low light.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I have just tried to click on mobile version on DS main page on my phone (at the bottom of page) and it comes up with error. Has done for a while. But now I can't even log into my account on the phone on a regular version of the website. Can you provide a link that I can use since I can't log in from the forum that I can type manually in the address bar?
    Forum Member
    Nevermind. Finally got it through a convaluded way!
    Forum Member
    Suggestion. Please add a subscribe button to be able to follow threads without posting nonsense :)
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adding the option for page numbers
    making it known if you have a pm
    i like the white text on black idea too

overall really good though and easy to use
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64301818
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I cannot use the forum search function on either of my tablets (Xoom and Nexus 7).

If I 'click' on the Search Forum box, the keyboard comes up then as soon as I type the first character, the keyboard goes away and the box disappears.

Isn't it time Digital Spy had a tablet-friendly setting?

to with my reply:
    flagpole wrote: »
    the search box is shit. it's shit on the desktop too. i often click it type my search and then notice the cable on my mouse has moved out of the search box.

i can get it to work on my N7 but it's not straight forward.

they've mixed two forms of behaviour, for hover and click. they are using hover behaviour but after a click.

so you click the search function and that activates hover behaviour on 'search' and on 'forum tools'. it's daft because of someone had wanted forum tools they wouldn't have clicked search.

it's really stupid.

on my tablet, my phone and every tablet i've ever used you click search, the search box comes up and the screen is resized to make the search box fill the screen, which causes it to lose focus and disappear, so you have to click it again.

i find it hard to believe this is part of vbulletin.
    Forum Member
    adding the option for page numbers
    making it known if you have a pm
    i like the white text on black idea too

overall really good though and easy to use

Thank you for the info about pm alert! I didnt realise this didnt happen.

I think i am beginning to miss old version :-(
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep getting an issue where the Virgin Media ad isn't loading properly and so the x button to close it won't function, I have to use browser Navigation to go back and load the page again.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to disable the adverts on mobiles? (ESP iPhone) the Skyfall ad especially doesn't have a cancel option so you have to navigate back and refresh pages to get rid of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Is there a way to disable the adverts on mobiles? (ESP iPhone) the Skyfall ad especially doesn't have a cancel option so you have to navigate back and refresh pages to get rid of it.

Haha - I came on here to say exactly the same - the Skyfall ad. This is a real problem.

I could be in the middle of typing something and it pops up, goodnight Vienna. These ads are generally too frequent and invasive.
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    Having trouble editing a post I made on my mobile, I can't do it on my mobile and i'm unable to do it on my PC.

My post, logged in as me, the option just isn't there.

If I recall correctly, we have a time limit in place for post editing to stop people going back after some time has passed to completely change the meaning of their post. This would happen across desktop and mobile versions of the forum.
    8801 wrote: »
    Probably brought up before but editing a message is a nightmare
    Could you explain further?

flagpole wrote: »
    Probably something to do with the default vbulletin javascript used on the desktop skin. The mobile skin doesn't have a search option, yet...
    Minnimo wrote: »
    Thank you for the info about pm alert! I didnt realise this didnt happen.

I think i am beginning to miss old version :-(
    R410 wrote: »
    I keep getting an issue where the Virgin Media ad isn't loading properly and so the x button to close it won't function, I have to use browser Navigation to go back and load the page again.
    macsmurray wrote: »
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Haha - I came on here to say exactly the same - the Skyfall ad. This is a real problem.

I could be in the middle of typing something and it pops up, goodnight Vienna. These ads are generally too frequent and invasive.

Apologies, our ad team control these ads so we will need to report this to them. I'll ask them to investigate now.
    Forum Member
    If I recall correctly, we have a time limit in place for post editing to stop people going back after some time has passed to completely change the meaning of their post. This would happen across desktop and mobile versions of the forum.

Could you explain further?

Probably something to do with the default vbulletin javascript used on the desktop skin. The mobile skin doesn't have a search option, yet...

Apologies, our ad team control these ads so we will need to report this to them. I'll ask them to investigate now.

I'm not sure why I was quoted in this context...I was saying I misses the pm notification from the old version.
    Forum Member
    Minnimo wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I was quoted in this context...I was saying I misses the pm notification from the old version.

Apologies, meant to say that it'd been noted for any future updates :)
    Forum Member
    Apologies, meant to say that it'd been noted for any future updates :)

Well thank you for taking the time to reply as always :)

One thing to note. I have been reading a few threads this morning and when I move from page to page 3/5 I have to refresh the page to bring up the thread content. Don't know if thats related to new forum or mess up with ads though.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its annoying for some unknown reason i cant not post when i am in "mobile" version of this site comes up with a error message.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
    Administrator
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    Its annoying for some unknown reason i cant not post when i am in "mobile" version of this site comes up with a error message.

Sorry, was a momentary error. Should work now?
This discussion has been closed.