Options

Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone has tweeted this:

Seriously @scotttaunton & @liamdfisher,having sport all day & night is like having beans on toast for every meal, no variety. #justsaying

Scott has replied:

@videotechNOW @liamdfisher I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Colin Murray's new show. Entertainment will be the number one priority.

Hmm
  • Options
    shaunysaurusshaunysaurus Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that. I guess at the time it first aired, Darren Gough's interview with Kevin Pietersen was KP's only media interview since returning to the England set-up, but he's since agreed to do one with another of his ex-team mates in Andrew Flintoff for 5 Live in order to smooth things over with the BBC. Sounds fair and reasonable to me.

It would sound fair and reasonable if that is how it went down. 5 Live had been trailing the Flintoff interview for weeks and I remember hearing an excerpt from it in the previous Flintoff show *two weeks* before the Pietersen broadcast, so over three weeks ago. TS claiming to have the only media interview was disingenuous at best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I was wondering the self same thing.
    Does anyone know why he is no longer on with Quinn?
    Danny did say that they would be on all summer so where
    has he gone?
    I'm answering my own questions but i noticed that over at
    the other place the general view is that Danny is on holiday.
    That is what I heard DK say. Hey, stormy, saw you online there, you should post. ;)
    Seriously @scotttaunton & @liamdfisher,having sport all day & night is like having beans on toast for every meal, no variety. #justsaying
    Scott has replied:
    @videotechNOW @liamdfisher I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Colin Murray's new show. Entertainment will be the number one priority.
    Hmm
    Hmm indeed and I'll quote my post from over there on Monday:
    Carlos J wrote:
    [...] I can see his show starting as sports and morphing soon into sports entertainment with his z-list celeb pals on regularly. Still the good news is he's off 5Live now and MOTD2 as well. Hurrah. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Carlos J
    No he is not. As per the 5Live thread, he is an awful presenter and a smug ****. I'd rather have shits and giggles any day of the week. I can see his show starting as sports and morphing soon into sports entertainment with his z-list celeb pals on regularly. Still the good news is he's off 5Live now and MOTD2 as well. Hurrah.

l couldn't believe it when he was given MOTD2.
    I knew it wouldn't be long before the BBC realised their
    mistake ( although unfortunately it took long enough).
    I'm thrilled he off MOTD2 and 5 Live as during the football season 5 Live is my station of choice for matches,football debate etc so good news for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carlos j wrote: »
    That is what I heard DK say. Hey, stormy, saw you online there, you should post. ;)

I pop over there now and again but post erm no not for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, stormy, indeed. Can listen to 5Live on a Friday now as well

Apologies if editing my quote cocked yours up. Asterisks and 'shits' upset some sensibilities. ;)

Boo. You should post. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, stormy, indeed. Can listen to 5Live on a Friday now as well

Yes it used be to one to avoid for me ( well mostly)
    There is a god after all.

Apologies if editing my quote cocked yours up. Asterisks and 'shits' upset some sensibilities. ;)

No need to apologise for it all going a bit Pete Tong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Boo. You should post. ;)

No i really really shouldn't that way madness lies
    ha ha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nay worries. Keep reading then :) never knew you were a member.

And that's enough TF plugging tonight before the prefects wake up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't been a member for long.
    I noticed that some members on here refered to the 'other place' and i was curious as it sounded rather exciting and mysterious.
    I didn't want to join but unlike DS you can't look at the posts unless you do,so that's why i joined .
    I then discovered that it wasn't exciting or mysterious ( say it ain't so) but something erm else .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And that's enough TF plugging tonight before the prefects wake up.

Yes naughty naughty behave yourself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I then discovered that it wasn't exciting or mysterious ( say it ain't so) but something erm else .
    Ha, it can be. Durham wouuld ask is it all that though. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha, it can be. Durham wouuld ask is it all that though. :o

Can it ? i'll have to take your word for it.
    Well Durham didn't think Colin Murray was all that
    erm until he joined Talksport and suddenly he's the best signing of the season ( i'm actually embarassed for him)
    he needs to get some new sound bites:

His latest article opens with these ridiculous headlines

'Wenger's been sitting on a fortune but still missed out on Neymar, Tevez and Falcao.'

Dear oh dear words fail me that's a real heads gone right there.
    It's all part of this silly shock jock persona that he has created.

I wonder if his new book will be all that
    (i'll never know as i shan't be buying it ) but i'll take a guess
    that it won't be.
    I hope people aren't going to encourage him by buying it
    ( please don't)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Bloody Dominic Cork again with Alan Brazil AGAIN. :mad:

So that means more boring cricket talk again. How long does this cricket go on for?
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Bloody Dominic Cork again with Alan Brazil AGAIN. :mad:

So that means more boring cricket talk again. How long does this cricket go on for?

Hopefully Cork is just covering the "presently unoccupied" seat of a cricket "pundit". They obviously need to have a cricket pundit on board for the summer but there is SO much better out there. Cricket will be going on for a while Homesdale, not your favourite then?:D
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming that you have read all the articles/comments
    and are aware of all the issues on both sides in relation
    to Charles Sale /Brian Moore .
    If you haven't your comments are ill informed as they are
    not coming from someone that has knowledge of all the issues.
    I note that you mention not wanting' to speculate about presenter's pay coming from a position of absolutely no concrete knowledge'.
    As you have made such a definitive statement i can only assume that your comments about Sale were come from an informed position.
    I wouldn't like to think that you are making comments and assumptions about Sale from a point of complete ignorance.

Out of interest Stormy - why so hostile? Have I posted something that has upset you? Genuinely miffed at the nature of your response.

All I can add on my response to Brian's post on the issues between himself and Charles Sale is that I have replied in good faith by stating my thoughts in respect of what has been put out there in the public domain. I write this as a regular reader of Sale's Sports Agenda column. Sale is often critical of Moore in his column, but aside from his dislike of how Moore lacks formal journalistic qualifications I don't remember anything specific that he has taken issue with beyond things like Brian's on-air row with Mark Saggers during the England v France RWC QF. If there is an issue between them that I have missed that you feel I should be aware of, feel free to put it out there.

As for me not wanting to speculate about presenter's wages because I don't have a concrete knowledge of radio pay structures - in retrospect I was doing myself down unduly here, as like most others on here I have seen Alan Brazil's reported salary according to Sale's newspaper as well as George Galloway's declared earnings from his former Friday night show on talkSPORT. I simply posted that line in my previous post because I didn't want to pluck a figure out of thin air as others have done in the past when discussing presenters' pay.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    Hopefully Cork is just covering the "presently unoccupied" seat of a cricket "pundit". They obviously need to have a cricket pundit on board for the summer but there is SO much better out there. Cricket will be going on for a while Homesdale, not your favourite then?:D

Rather watch paint dry to tell you the truth. I know there are other sports about apart from football, but god Cricket bores me to death!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the plan is for using Danny Kelly next season? He won't be doing mid-mornings & Friday nights have gone to Keys and Gray. I hope talkSPORT has something else lined up for him as he's probably the best presenter on the station.

I agree. As someone who works Friday nights occasionally I will really miss his Friday night Kick Off preview programme, which I thought was one of the best shows on the radio. I really enjoyed the structure of it, including the lengthy football preview with Sam Matterface, the Championship preview slot with Geoff Peters, the rugby union round-up with Russell Hargreaves and Mark Wilson's live reports from top Super League games. You also knew with Danny that you'd likely get to hear an interesting interview with a sports fan from the world of music or film and perhaps a potentially obscure but always interesting item from a smaller sporting event or league.

I hope Keys & Gray do a good job with the Friday night preview, they have big shoes to fill and Danny will be a miss. You can't really blame talkSPORT for taking Danny out of the slot though, I believe BT Sport made their decision to sign him up to do a Friday night show with Danny Baker before K&G were given Fridays, although this move did give them a perfect opportunity to find something new for them upon their move to Qatar.
    I was wondering the self same thing.
    Does anyone know why he is no longer on with Quinn?
    Danny did say that they would be on all summer so where
    has he gone?
    I'm answering my own questions but i noticed that over at
    the other place the general view is that Danny is on holiday.

I remember in previous years that Danny has often taken a few weeks off in July. I believe he has family in the Republic of Ireland (I'm fairly sure his brother lives there and maybe a few other family members do too) and thus he heads over there at this time of year.
    It would sound fair and reasonable if that is how it went down. 5 Live had been trailing the Flintoff interview for weeks and I remember hearing an excerpt from it in the previous Flintoff show *two weeks* before the Pietersen broadcast, so over three weeks ago. TS claiming to have the only media interview was disingenuous at best.

Welcome to the thread Shaun. Thanks for the information, being someone who rarely listens to 5 Live these days I only had talkSPORT's interpretation of the situation to go on, the details about Pietersen's interview with Flintoff on 5 Live as posted on here the other day was news to me.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a nice personal return email last night from the program director of talksport Liam Fisher (not one of those automatically generated types so often sent out by their acting press officer Alice Furse) but one that you could tell had actually been thought-out properly and it just shows to me that Mr Fisher has time for his listeners and takes an interest in their thoughts and comments and if you are reading this Liam (I sent him a direct link to this thread just in case he didn't read it already) I would like to thank you here for taking up your valuable time to personally reply back to me. :)
    In my email I mentioned one or two things to him I wanted to say, one was personally thank him for getting shut of the previous 6 year occupant of the breakfast show co-presenter chair, the rest I will keep to myself. I will not disrespect Liam by going into details of what he told me in the replied email except to tell you one thing, the breakfast show will not be running using different presenters as it is now for too much longer they're just doing it while they find the right person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big boxing fan as anyone who has seen TFs Boxing thread knows, but I'm slightly going to put the kibosh on your idea.

I've listened to Fight Club and like it and also listen to the Boxing/MMA sections on Extra Time and also like that, despite not being a big Gareth Davies fan, nor MMA for that matter.

But the reason your idea wouldn't work is that boxing also has a slight close season over the summer, especially August. There are no really big fights then so it would be a hell of a lot of filler.

Having it as a monthly show would be my idea, similar to 5Live Boxing, which is great, well I don't mind old Bunce.

Start it maybe late September so you've got the hopeful farce of Haye proving Fury is hopeless and a preview of a far better fight with Tim Bradley and JM Marquez, plus others not arranged yet. That would be my best bet, where in the schedules is another matter.

Thanks for replying to my thoughts on the Fight Club Carlos, good to see you posting on here again.

Your post is quite timely seeing as talkSPORT have only very recently confirmed their post-Lions, pre-start of the new football season weekend schedule for the next four weeks.

Rather than give Fight Club the Sunday 8-10pm slot that Full Contact will be vacating during northern hemisphere rugby union's off-season as I had been hoping, they have decided to shift Ronnie Irani's Howzat! from the Sunday 4-6pm slot it started the summer in to 8-10pm, with a second edition of The Transfer Tavern getting its old slot. I can see the sense in this, as not only will Howzat! not clash with any of the Ashes Test matches while they are in-play, but by my reckoning it will be able to keep that timeslot for the duration of the series up until and including the final day of the Fifth Test (should it last five days) on Sunday 25th August. The weekend after that is the first week of the new club rugby union season, so there should be quite a smooth transition between the end of Howzat's run and the return of Full Contact. Meanwhile, The Transfer Tavern can easily be bumped from the schedule from Sunday 11th August (Community Shield day) onwards.

I think your idea of having a monthly Fight Club is a good one but it might be difficult to implement satisfactorily, at least if you are hoping for it to be given a weekend timeslot and you want it to air on a consistent basis. When Full Contact began, it was given a Saturday evening timeslot on nights when there wasn't any live Premier League football - therefore, FA Cup and international football weekends aside, you never knew that far in advance when it would air. You could go months without hearing Full Contact and then you'd get two editions of the show in as many weeks. I could see something similar happening with Fight Club, although with talkSPORT now holding full FA Cup rights and with - going by the consensus view of the people who closely follow the scheduling of Premier League games in threads on the Broadcasting section of DS - there likely to be more Saturday 5.30pm games on a more regular basis this season due to the television rights to PL games in this timeslot returning to Sky Sports, there may be even less opportunities to broadcast Fight Club on Saturday nights irregularly than there was when they did this with Full Contact a few years ago.

Of course, an alternative to that could be giving Fight Club the 8-10pm section of a weeknight edition of Kick Off (probably on a Thursday) - that could work - or bumping either Football First (Saturdays) or My Sporting Life (Sundays) from the schedule once in a while, but both of those shows are well ingrained in the schedule and I'm not sure if talkSPORT management would want to tinker with their timeslots that much.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I caught the interview with Ray Houghton on the breakfast show this morning at 7.40 if I hadn't heard it I would never have known the following no way Jose,.........
    Luis Suarez is a great player but bites people.
    David Moyes should do a great job for Manchester United this season.
    Jose Mourinho should do a great job at Chelsea this season.

Insightful stuff eh?, ... could only come from a guy who really knows the game from the inside, a guy whose actually played it unlike the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Jesus wept. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    this is terrible this morning in worse than irani terrible

as Billy says quite how Ray "you have never played the game" Houghton still gets asked for his views on football is beyond me must be missing something

Cork is just sitting there laughing at Brazil taking the piss out of The Moose (more fat jokes from an obese man how ironic)

Like going back four years but just a little bit worse
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then maybe that person shouldnt listen to a sports radio station all day and night....
This discussion has been closed.