Options

Anyone Else Sick Of London Focused TV?

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    What waffle! London is the capital of England thats it, remember Scotland, Wales & NI are their own constituent countries. We are bound by a union not a sharing of the English capital. Even government wouldn't dare say otherwise. Sometimes I do wonder if all the people in the south east actually want Scotland to go it alone? :confused:

Do your research:

London is the capital city of England and the United Kingdom. It is the most populous city in the United Kingdom,
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What waffle! London is the capital of England thats it, remember Scotland, Wales & NI are their own constituent countries. We are bound by a union not a sharing of the English capital. Even government wouldn't dare say otherwise. Sometimes I do wonder if all the people in the south east actually want Scotland to go it alone? :confused:

You couldn't have illustrated my point more perfectly.
    steveh31 wrote: »
    London is the capital city of England and the United Kingdom. It is the most populous city in the United Kingdom,

It has also been classified by almost all "city power" studies as the second most important city in the world behind New York City.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Rutland Weekend Television.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And... More people live outside of it than inside and even though it is capital I dont think fog over it deserves to bump sectarian politicians amongst other news stories

Wake up to NI tribal politics. I don't think so! Life is depressing enough
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get annoyed with the Manchester bias shown by many broadcasters, Birmingham is the Second City of this country, something I feel broadcasters forget. The BBC's presence in Birmingham is a joke, and ITV not much better.

Tell me about it. It is a joke, it's because the people in power and the media seem desperate for a Northern City to be like a mini London. For this Country to work properly, all our big cities need to be able to get on with things. It seems these days only Greater London and Greater Manchester matter these days, despite Birmingham and the West Midlands being roughly the same size/population as it's Northern rival!

For a city with a proud Media history, Birmingham's current situation is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    London is the capital of England and the sole capital of the United Kingdom as a whole.
    But seriously all major world cities get priory coverage in the media.

Maybe it's time for city based local stations for Birmingham and Manchester?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just payback for inflicting Coronation Street on us Londoners! :D
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    London is the capital of England and the sole capital of the United Kingdom as a whole.

Live! TV tried that - major fail!:cool:
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand London should get the priority, it is after all the Capital City of England and the United Kingdom. However I feel there is a need for the Outside London quotas to have be scrapped in exchange for Regional quotas (such as 3% for the English Midlands). These Regional quotas would actually mean slightly less networked TV being made Outside London but what is made would be more Regionally focused. This would apply to BBC, Channel 3, Channel 4 with a smaller quota for Channel 5.

The TV Production 3% quota would focus on each of the following - South and South East, South West, The Midlands, Eastern England, North West, Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, North East and Border, SCOTLAND, WALES and NORTHERN IRELAND.

As for Local stations, I believe they could work but not with the current set up. Hence my strong support for keeping the BBC/ITV's Regional News services (though believe the other programming could be merged within this programming - rather one strong programme than several weak shows.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I am from Hertfordshire but live in Hull so I can see both sides.

However the FA Cup final commentary by ITV was beyond the pale.
    You would have thought that Arsenal were playing a team from another country instead of from Yorkshire
    Commentators willing Arsenal to win might be acceptable in a European tie, but not on for the FA Cup.

I also used to hate it when TV or Radio chefs would talk about new products or gadgets that were only available in London stores or even Waitrose - when Waitrose had no stores North of Grantham until just over 10 years ago.

Channel 4 banging on about outdoor films at Somerset house - in Central London.
    No attempt ever made to expand the showings to other cities.
    The BBC does Proms in the Park in many cities.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Live! TV tried that - major fail!:cool:

Well, they are trying London Live, and that's an Ofcom local licensed channel. I don't know how viable it is right now, or whether it would spread to other cities.

To be honest, I don't think this channel does the city any justice, but it might be a good idea elsewhere.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I am from Hertfordshire but live in Hull so I can see both sides.

However the FA Cup final commentary by ITV was beyond the pale.
    You would have thought that Arsenal were playing a team from another country instead of from Yorkshire
    Commentators willing Arsenal to win might be acceptable in a European tie, but not on for the FA Cup.

Yet Arsenal fans were complaining of a pro-Yorkshire bias in the coverage...
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beer Girl wrote: »
    This country is very London focused. The wrest of us should get something every now ans then. Norwich, Plymouth, and New Castle all have potential.

Norwich? I live in Bedfordshire, Norwich is the home of our regional news.

London bias? Sick of Norwich and Norwich City FC!
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Do your research:

My mistake my apologies
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get annoyed with the Manchester bias shown by many broadcasters, Birmingham is the Second City of this country, something I feel broadcasters forget. The BBC's presence in Birmingham is a joke, and ITV not much better.

What do you expect when Granada are now basically the whole of ITV? It's no co-incidence all their local news (what's left of it) all lost their names, apart from Granada & Yorkshire. If only the tired, dull, boring Granada had been axed in 1991!

Granada never seemed to like the vastly superior ATV or Central so no surprise they push their blessed 'Granadaland' on the rest of us at every opportunity.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    What do you expect when Granada are now basically the whole of ITV? It's no co-incidence all their local news (what's left of it) all lost their names, apart from Granada & Yorkshire. If only the tired, dull, boring Granada had been axed in 1991!

Granada never seemed to like the vastly superior ATV or Central so no surprise they push their blessed 'Granadaland' on the rest of us at every opportunity.

Calendar kept it's name because there is no alternative name for Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, North Derbyshire, North Nottinghamshire and North Norfolk News.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Of the main news programmes I can think of, any that have window shots are of nothing other than their own newsrooms, with the exception of Channel 4, whose window overlooks the atrium of the building the studio is housed in (the newsroom being to the left).

You are obviously not aware the C4 Newsroom uses a green screen then :p
    Jump to 5minutes & 5seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPLUw5cFDl4#t=326
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You made the biggest waffle here with your posting.
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norwich? I live in Bedfordshire, Norwich is the home of our regional news.

London bias? Sick of Norwich and Norwich City FC!

It's the same everywhere - people in North Wales complain of a bias towards South Wales, viewers in the South complain of a bias towards Cardiff :D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same everywhere - people in North Wales complain of a bias towards South Wales, viewers in the South complain of a bias towards Cardiff :D

And if there was a North Wales news bulletin from Bangor or Caernarfon then Wrexham, Mold, Denbigh would be complaining.

Even local newspapers get complaints of too much bias towards the main town.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    But GMTV and GMB ones aren't real windows they are screens. They could show backgrounds of London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast as well as other cities alsmost like a very slow slideshow

Great idea. Live HD backdrops from around the UK could be a point of interest in themselves and add variety to the set.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Great idea. Live HD backdrops from around the UK could be a point of interest in themselves and add variety to the set.

Or more likely would attract accusations of fakery.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Or more likely would attract accusations of fakery.

Or if it is the BBC then someone will be posting that they have no need to send their reporters out of the studio / office because they can just use a 'live HD backdrop'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I think this is a problem with most national broadcasters around the world. Like someone said TV and Radio in Scotland tends to be Glasgow centric while in other countries like Canada many people complain about the CBC being Toronto focused. The only difference I see is with the United States that tends to have more local broadcasters and no really national public service (not sure if you could call PBS/NPR a national service). When it comes to local affairs we all may as well go back 100 years and just start reading local newspapers :o
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they are trying London Live, and that's an Ofcom local licensed channel.

London Live, now that IS London centric :D