Options

Jersey milk?

FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm wanting to put on a few lbs of weight and being told by the doctor to drink milk now the problem is I hate the taste of drinking milk yet I love anything milk based yogurt, ice cream, cream etc and I've heard jersey milk taste like cream instead of standard milk is this true?

Comments

• Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is creamy, strong tasting as well, you only need a little amount in a mug of tea. Personally i would not like to drink a lot of it but i do not really like the taste of milk on its own either.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why don't you drink cocoa? Add cocoa to milk and a little bit of vanilla, and what you get is a nice chocolaty drink that tastes nothing like milk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Yes it is creamy, strong tasting as well, you only need a little amount in a mug of tea. Personally i would not like to drink a lot of it but i do not really like the taste of milk on its own either.

That's what I was worried about as I would have to drink about a liter a day as I really don't have time in my day to eat all the calories I need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Why don't you drink cocoa? Add cocoa to milk and a little bit of vanilla, and what you get is a nice chocolaty drink that tastes nothing like milk.

That's a great idea! Do you know any good ones? I was just going to get chocolate milk for its high protein and fat content but then saw the high sugar and was put off.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    That's a great idea! Do you know any good ones? I was just going to get chocolate milk for its high protein and fat content but then saw the high sugar and was put off.

Cocoa doesn't contain any sugar, so you can add your own until it's just sweet enough to drink but isn't anywhere near as full of sugar as drinking chocolate. Tesco's own brand cocoa is £2 for 250g, and unlike some own brands it doesn't have unnecessary additives. Like custard, you need to work it into a paste with a splash of milk and then dilute it with the rest of the milk to avoid it going lumpy.

You can also try things like Horlicks, which are quite low in sugar because you're also expected to add your own. But you only need to add as much as you want.

There are also milkshake powders and syrups, but these are typically powdered/liquid sugar with a little bit of flavouring and colour added.

Another idea is milk coffee, which tastes very different from coffee made from water. You just boil some milk and add the coffee and sugar to that. I've known people who aren't fond of coffee but like milk coffee.

Custard powder doesn't contain sugar (again, you add your own to taste), so you can try having lots of custard with your deserts. And when you don't do that, you could whip some double cream and have that with a sponge cake instead.

But I don't think milk on its own is going to help you put on much weight. You need a diet with more fat and other nutrients in it. If you like rice, try cooking it in coconut milk rather than water. This isn't best with hot curries, but things like kormas, Mediterranean sauces or even served as a bed for a bit of fish can taste lovely - and the coconut milk contains fat. You can even serve it with vegetables, salads and omelettes.

And talking of salads, you can do things like spray the leaves with extra olive oil to add flavour and fat.

Oh, and for the drinks you add your own sugar to, you can always use honey instead. It's still full of sugar but it's a bit healthier than spooning refined sugar in. I'm not sure whether the suspiciously cheap supermarket honeys are worthwhile though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Try milkshakes or flavoured milk. ADLI do a nice chocolate milk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those are some good ideas thank you :) I already cook everything in butter or lard as I love animal fats and find they add more taste than oils I don't know if that's healthy or not but meh, I'm not really a big fan of rice I find it boring. The reason why i would prefer to drink my calories is I'm pretty busy every day and quite lazy so cooking up more than 3 meals a day is something I just don't have time for hence my need to put on the pounds, I sadly do not have a aldi near me :( it's a land of great bounty Ive heard that one day I will need to venture into.