Options

Could any housemate who'd had the pass to the final be favourite to win?

spiralstaticspiralstatic Posts: 2,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's the first (and last for sure!) time Big Brother have done this. We all know Helen has given reasons enough for people to resent her, this aside. However, imagine some of the other housemates were given the pass to the final at the very start. Do you think they would still be perceived the same way they are now? I have a feeling it may not be the case. Obviously this is mere speculation and nothing definitive can be said about it, but I think the pass in itself affects public perception.

Thinking around this topic lead me to think for the first time that perhaps it was a good thing Pauline was voted as the first power housemate. Had she not been, someone else would have been voted power housemate, someone else would have had to choose who got the pass to the final... and I feel as though a fair few people may well have chosen Pauline back on day 2! Just imagine! I've just about kept watching the show as is this year even though there's never been any housemate I loved, but had Pauline remained in there I know for certain I wouldn't have made it past a couple of weeks! :o:o:o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the kiss of death. John Loughton got an opening night pass to the final in Big Brother Celebrity Hijack and went on to win. It was still a terribly unpopular decision on digitalspy though. And people (illogically, since he was one of six finalists) always bleated that he only won because of the pass to the final.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the first (and last for sure!) time Big Brother have done this. We all know Helen has given reasons enough for people to resent her, this aside. However, imagine some of the other housemates were given the pass to the final at the very start. Do you think they would still be perceived the same way they are now? I have a feeling it may not be the case. Obviously this is mere speculation and nothing definitive can be said about it, but I think the pass in itself affects public perception.

Thinking around this topic lead me to think for the first time that perhaps it was a good thing Pauline was voted as the first power housemate. Had she not been, someone else would have been voted power housemate, someone else would have had to choose who got the pass to the final... and I feel as though a fair few people may well have chosen Pauline back on day 2! Just imagine! I've just about kept watching the show as is this year even though there's never been any housemate I loved, but had Pauline remained in there I know for certain I wouldn't have made it past a couple of weeks! :o:o:o

That is an excellent point and one I had not considered before. The series would have been a disaster with Pauline remaining for the whole run. I'm no fan of Helen but find her interesting, Pauline was not interesting in the slightest and after only a week she was making my blood boil (I usually take BB with a hefty pinch of salt). If Pauline had been given the golden ticket I am pretty sure BB would have found a way to remove her, they would have lost countless viewers otherwise.

If BB continues I don't think they will be awarding a golden ticket again, with the rider that if they do it will certainly be one that can be removed in certain circumstances by the other HMs and the public.

Finally to answer the original question, no matter how nice a HM awarded the golden ticket was the public wouldn't vote to make them the winner, I think with the way BB now manipulate the show we would only want someone to win who has experienced everything BB can throw at them.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it could happen, it allows the person to have a bad week and not face eviction and if the bad week is early enough it allows everyone to get over it and forget it. I am not entirely against these golden tickets I just don't think they should be awarded on first week when we don't know who they all are and we the public should do the choosing.
  • Options
    EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pauline with the pass :eek:, you're right it could well have happened.
    This is a very interesting point which I will reply to in more detail later as right now I have a date with a woolly mammoth at The Natural History Museum.
  • Options
    BabelBrookBabelBrook Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the kiss of death. John Loughton got an opening night pass to the final in Big Brother Celebrity Hijack and went on to win. It was still a terribly unpopular decision on digitalspy though. And people (illogically, since he was one of six finalists) always bleated that he only won because of the pass to the final.

Surely it must come down to the personality of the individual. Helen is not a very likeable person and would almost certainly have stood a good chance of eviction if ever up for the vote.
  • Options
    KabiraKabira Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think they could but I hope it never gets used again.

I didn't like Josie Gibson having a pass and that was only one week.

This years pass has been the worst mistake that BB made, horrible decision.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kabira wrote: »

I agree they made a mistake but biggest mistake was the voters giving Pauline the power, I can't blame them too much as I would on first viewing have done the same, never has a book been so unlike it's cover IMO
  • Options
    Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too hope they never use it again,i would have liked to have seen how the other housemates acted without that tyrant helen ruling the roost...
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kabira wrote: »

I don't like Helen or her golden ticket, but I think BB's decision to evict a housemate with no public vote, is the worst decision in BB history. I was certainly no fan of Marlon, but his eviction was an utter disgrace.
  • Options
    KabiraKabira Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I don't like Helen or her golden ticket, but I think BB's decision to evict a housemate with no public vote, is the worst decision in BB history. I was certainly no fan of Marlon, but his eviction was an utter disgrace.

Yes that was an awful decision too.

I hated that .I hope that never happens again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    That is an excellent point and one I had not considered before. The series would have been a disaster with Pauline remaining for the whole run. I'm no fan of Helen but find her interesting, Pauline was not interesting in the slightest and after only a week she was making my blood boil (I usually take BB with a hefty pinch of salt). If Pauline had been given the golden ticket I am pretty sure BB would have found a way to remove her, they would have lost countless viewers otherwise.

If BB continues I don't think they will be awarding a golden ticket again, with the rider that if they do it will certainly be one that can be removed in certain circumstances by the other HMs and the public.

Finally to answer the original question, no matter how nice a HM awarded the golden ticket was the public wouldn't vote to make them the winner, I think with the way BB now manipulate the show we would only want someone to win who has experienced everything BB can throw at them.

Yes, very good point indeed. Helen is awful but Pauline definitely was even worse, if Pauline had lasted the entire series with no one able to get rid of her it would have been even more of a disaster than it's been. Pauline and Helen both made me switch off, but at least with Helen it took several weeks, not just one!

I guess whether the person could win or not really depends on the person, though it's got to be a bit of a curse. I'd have given the free pass to Winston (yes yes, I know, I was young and foolish) and if he'd made the final week he possibly could have won. Also, it might have been interesting to see him if he'd not felt he'd had to keep his act up so much, though after seeing him on BOTS I'm massively unimpressed. I think the killer nomination was a bit of a charm, Jale only went because of the eviction meddling twist when Marlon saved himself. In a fair eviction she'd not have gone.

I hope they never do the golden ticket again, I hope they've learned their lesson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »

Yes, completely agree.
  • Options
    JillyAJillyA Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been worse bearing in mind who Pauline's little lap dog was - it could have been Steven.

Truly I think even the nicest of people would have struggled with the poison chalice of having the pass because it would always be thrown at them by HMs and viewers alike.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It's already happened. Celebrity Hijack foreshadowed the C5 era in some ways with some of the most nonsensical contrivances (e.g. Joan Rivers doing the nominations WTF).

Fortunately it was a great cast which made it an excellent series...unlike this one.
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seemingly |BB planned this and it seems to have .............them in th face so to speak ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I guess it would depend on how the pass to the final influenced their behaviour. Helen could have maybe been a bit more tamer if she hadn't but if someone else had it they may have become a nightmare as well.