Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I take it that the people who are complaining about it have donated themselves?

Yea I'm not getting this throwing ice on the ice bucket challenge.

I think some people spun off from a negative article in Slate but those critics turned out to be wrong.

People are acting as if celebrities wouldn't figure out on their own that they would do the challenge and donate.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

No I haven't
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I donated £10, all I can afford until the end of the month.

I'm not doing the "challenge". It's not even being done as was originally intended, nor are most people on my FB doing it for the originally intended charity. I don't want to sound mean, but this was about ALS/MND.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    No I wouldn't for several reasons

I'm not a sheep
    Its a complete waste of water.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member

No.

I donate to the charities I want to donate to, not being forced to do so because of some stupid challenge.
  • Options
    storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would donate not do the challenge, don't want a cold. And many people have misinterpreted the challenge and don't think it's for charity when it is. That's the whole point.
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's much the same as the ''makeup free selfie'' craze which was basically an excuse for narcissistic idiots to get attention for themselves. How many of these ice bucket videos or posts even mention anything about ALS? I haven't seen a single one on my news feed which mentions anything to do with it, or even gives a link so people can donate. I'm glad the charity has made some much needed money, but I think it's a shame that we live in a society where most people only give money to a worthwhile cause if it gets them attention and if it's part of a craze where they can basically scream ''LOOK AT ME DOING SOMETHING FOR CHARITY!'' It's completely self indulgent and irritating, and I can't stand people saying ''Oh no, I've been nominated to tip water over my head! This is the worst thing which has ever happened to me! But I shall be brave and do it anyway, because I'm an amazing person!''
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    No I wouldn't for several reasons

I'm not a sheep
    Its a complete waste of water.

I just watched someone with ceberal palsy do it because he wanted to donate and do the challenge like his other 'normal' family members.

The old sheep tripe is so boring and cliche almost like well like a sheep I guess.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    This one made me laugh......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kjhmIM9JM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I donated £10, all I can afford until the end of the month.

I'm not doing the "challenge". It's not even being done as was originally intended, nor are most people on my FB doing it for the originally intended charity. I don't want to sound mean, but this was about ALS/MND.

Not doing the challenge is fine, you have donated but I cab guarantee there are people on here bitching and moaning about what other people are doing for charity and not doing a thing themselves.

I guess I have a better quality on my Facebook as most of the videos I've seen have been captioned with the donation details as well.

I did see a funny video of someone taking the piss out of the attention seekers but that person had donated themselves.

It's raised awareness and raised money. I really don't see what there is to moan about. But then again this is DS so it shouldn't really surprise me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »

Ha! Ha! What the hell... :D
  • Options
    Carbon ProductsCarbon Products Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    My friend has been pestering me to do it. He done it himself but for some reason is refusing to donate. :S

I dont really see the point of it, why cant people just donate and share it on social media and in real life instead of doing daft videos?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not doing the challenge is fine, you have donated but I cab guarantee there are people on here bitching and moaning about what other people are doing for charity and not doing a thing themselves.

You can't guarantee a thing. You have no idea who on here has donated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    It's much the same as the ''makeup free selfie'' craze which was basically an excuse for narcissistic idiots to get attention for themselves. How many of these ice bucket videos or posts even mention anything about ALS? I haven't seen a single one on my news feed which mentions anything to do with it, or even gives a link so people can donate. I'm glad the charity has made some much needed money, but I think it's a shame that we live in a society where most people only give money to a worthwhile cause if it gets them attention and if it's part of a craze where they can basically scream ''LOOK AT ME DOING SOMETHING FOR CHARITY!'' It's completely self indulgent and irritating, and I can't stand people saying ''Oh no, I've been nominated to tip water over my head! This is the worst thing which has ever happened to me! But I shall be brave and do it anyway, because I'm an amazing person!''

Pretty much sums up my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    You can't guarantee a thing. You have no idea who on here has donated.

Which is why I asked the question. Strangely silent don't you think ....
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

You have no guarantee of the sort, you have no idea what people on here do for charities

I help charities that I CHOOSE to help, this charity isn't the only charity out there and tbh I prefer helping animal charities as animals don't have a voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is why I asked the question. Strangely silent don't you think ....

I wouldn't say so. You've had some people replying that they haven't.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the idiots on my Facebook don't even know it's for charity & you're supposed to donate money. They're only doing it to be able to post the stupid videos on Facebook so they can 'big each other up'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess I have a better quality on my Facebook as most of the videos I've seen have been captioned with the donation details as well.

I did see a funny video of someone taking the piss out of the attention seekers but that person had donated themselves.

It's raised awareness and raised money. I really don't see what there is to moan about. But then again this is DS so it shouldn't really surprise me.
    Ah, but it hasn't raised awareness for many of the people I've seen doing it as they've all done it for cancer charities! Some of them didn't even know what I was talking about when I mentioned the challenges original intention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has been pestering me to do it. He done it himself but for some reason is refusing to donate. :S

I dont really see the point of it, why cant people just donate and share it on social media and in real life instead of doing daft videos?

I think it's daft. It doesn't annoy me, I just refuse to do the latest craze because loads of others are. If they want to do it though, that's up to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. You've had some people replying that they haven't.

So they proved my point then didn't they.

I'm not saying people have to donate or whatever but why be rude about other who have when you have done nothing yourself.

* I mean you generally.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't done the challenge & haven't donated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, but it hasn't raised awareness for many of the people I've seen doing it as they've all done it for cancer charities! Some of them didn't even know what I was talking about when I mentioned the challenges original intention.

I know, I saw a post by Macmillan cancer trust to say that the challenge is for them! I was shocked.

I don't know like I said all the people who have done it on my Facebook have had donation details on the posts, most have done the challenge and donated. They are doing something I can't really moan about then for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Most on my Facebook have hijacked it to be about breast cancer or just for a laugh. I honestly feel like brain cells must just drool out of their ears on a nightly basis.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It raised awareness for enough people to find the donation site and give upwards of $41 million.

In less than one month!