Bus Service's what are they like in your area?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are the Buses in you Town/ City or Village Frequent or have the Local Council cut the services so you struggle to get the place you i.e home and work or to the local shops

Here in North Cambridgeshire the Bus timetables depending on the Bus Company, certain times have been missed out as well as some stops at a certain time of day and if you miss the connecting bus from another town I might have to wait depending on the time day either 1 Hour or even 2 hours for the next bus:o:confused:

I and I friend of mine who live in Village on the border with Norfolk told the other day that they have cut the school bus out where she lives so now the Children in the Village including hers now have to walk to nearest town to catch the Bus in another county to get school and the Parents are not happy with what the local Council have told them:o:confused:

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap.

The biggest thing with all of them, everywhere, is that they are fundamentally over-priced.

In some situations a taxi would be cheaper, which is odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not too bad in one direction.

Every 15 minutes from around 6am to the nearest large town/city, until around 7pm, then half hourly after that, with the last bus at 10.30pm.

However at around 3.30pm there's a large gap, as some of the buses start/stop from the nearest high school in the next village over, and don't come near this village for about 45 minutes which is weird. The two buses prior to that make a small detour into the school though, still come through the village but are always absolutely crammed with annoying and usually very, very loud and often badly behaved kids :(

Three buses an hour in the other direction to the nearest small town, but with a half hour gap each hour bizarrely.

One bus an hour to the other nearest large town.

No buses at all to any other town/village round about though which means a journey that takes 15/20 minutes by car can take an hour and a half to two hours by bus. :(

Bus fares are expensive though that even just a fairly short return journey means it's usually cheaper to buy a day ticket, which is currently £4.60.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a ticket for the week it's OK but if you just buy a ticket for a day it's rubbish.

There's plenty of buses though which is good.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big drama in our latest village newsletter - the bus company have threatened to terminate the furthest stop because of haphazard parking by locals, meaning the buses can't turn around! Bit of a kerfuffle about it, all being told. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At peak time, there's a bus going into the city every 7 to 10 minutes from where I live. Have not travelled all over the city, but most other routes seem to have similar regularity. Don't use buses to travel outside the city, so can't comment on that.

At £2 for a single, it seems expensive, but I don't know how that compares to other cities. I'm currently unemployed and pay half price (£2.10) for an all day ticket on buses and trams, which is pretty good value.

Don't know if this is common, but we have electronic signs at our bus stops which show when the next few buses are due.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Not too bad here, although perhaps a bit overpriced (£1.90 for a single an £2.90 for a return, for a 3 mile journey) and no buses after 6pm anymore.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very frequent and most of the routes very well connected with one another where I live. :) My only slight bedbug is the certain types of people I sometimes have to contend with whilst on the bus....
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 miles away, the best bus company in the UK (as voted by the industry) - Lothian Bus, whose oldest bus is an "02" reg. Unfortunately, we have to make do with Worst Bus,whose newest buses just delivered are "02" reg. Their oldest is an "F" reg.

Lothian Bus - you can track their service online and its displayed at the bus stops. Worst Bus - it's a hit or a miss of the bus turns up at all - one day it might be a double decker, next day a single and passengers are left behind for the next bus an hour later. Any wonder why people drive to the next village, leave their car there and use the other bus company?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very frequent, every 15 minutes or so. Bloody expensive though for what is a very short journey.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant.

I live on Stagecoach Manchester's 192 route & is the busiest bus route in the country (according to Wiki).

You never have to wait more than 1 minute for one & it's run with hybrid Wi-fi enabled buses too.

The TP, run by High Peak also runs along the route which is one of the best bus routes in the UK, but it is a limited stop, so doesn't stop where I live.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One bus every hour and it costs £6 and takes just over an hour to travel 12 miles to the next town.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    One bus every hour into town and it's only a 5-minute journey. Used to be every 20 minutes when Arriva was running services here, although that wasn't very reliable!

No service in the evenings or on Sundays.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost non-existent. One bus a hour during the day then none after 7pm and no service at all on a Sunday.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Almost non-existent. One bus a hour during the day then none after 7pm and no service at all on a Sunday.
    You're lucky. After Nottinghamshire County Council's cuts, our buses don't run at all after 6pm, and that's for popular urban routes. Most of the cuts have been applied before half past nine when the free bus passes for pensioners (ie. voters) takes effect and after mid-afternoon when workers use the buses to get home. For less popular and rural routes have been axed or replaced with a dial-a-bus service which requires calling up to 24 hours in advance and missing a bus three times gets you a ban from using public transport.

A local councillor resigned his membership of the Labour party over it. There have been many complaints about the cuts and I know of someone who has lost their job over it.

Less than two weeks later, the same subsidy cuts were announced for the trains, meaning if you caught the train to escape the bus cuts, you're out of luck there too.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in London. I must admit, the bus service is extremely efficient.

The Bus Checker App is spot on!
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bad but then again I live near the interchange and can walk it. The only bad side is my local bus route. Terrible just terrible. NEVER on time. I make the bus stop early to make sure I get a bus even if it's late - it turns up early and I may as well have walked. I make the bus stop on time - the bus is late and I may as well have walked. I make the bus stop late, the latest bus I need never shows and I may as well have walked fast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

It always amazes me when Londoners complain about public transport. They should try living anywhere else in the country. If I lived there I wouldn't own a car because you don't need one. Out in the sticks it is essential.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 24 hour buses every 7 mins where I live in Ealing. I'm very fortunate but I can't help but bitch and moan when one takes 10 to turn up.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    It always amazes me when Londoners complain about public transport. They should try living anywhere else in the country. If I lived there I wouldn't own a car because you don't need one. Out in the sticks it is essential.

I think most Londoners complaints about transport is do with the Underground network.

As for buses we are well served.

If I wished to travel to the next town I have a choice of 5 buses from my town centre.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bus stops both directions within 100yds of my house.
    20 mins into the city centre.
    Every 30 minutes.
    And a bus pass :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If people in London used their cars the way people outside London use their cars the entire city would grind to a halt, 24/7. People have been complaining that with the Hogarth flyover closed for repairs there are traffic jams in the surrounding area in the middle of the night!
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be much better than the 'text Travelline' crap we have where I live. :(
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, 35 mins to get to central London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Citymapper app is also excellent. Before getting it I never used buses when in London as the routes were so confusing but now I take them all of the time. Often quicker the the Tube, cheaper and you get a better view from the windows.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    stagecoach here - most of the drivers are downright bloody rude and the three buses we`re supposed to get in an hour are two if lucky. i`m just on my way back from reading via oxford where the drivers so far have been lovely, helpful, friendly and smiley, what a difference.

edit: that`s cambridge.