Options

I am so upset but am I being too sensitive?

13»

Comments

• Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your lovely post.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like the kids haven't been brought up properly. Manners matter, tact is important, being aware of other peoples feelings is to be civilised and humane.

Look at their parents, who don't seem to have instilled a good moral code or parented well at all.
    Then look at your son - he shows human emotion and concern and I'll bet he wouldn't throw away comments about his friends parents. Sounds like he's a decent lad, who cares about his mum. I think it was great how he confided in you, nice relationship between you both.
    Personally I'd hope he'd give these kids a wide berth.

One lesson in life is to find out that not all people are nice - or deserving of our friendship.

I brought up 2 sons, both of which at times got friendly with dubious friends, however they worked out for themselves which people are worth bothering with and which weren't.
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As my old mum used to say "If you cant think of anything nice to say about someone then say nothing at all"

Kid would've got a smack if he had said that about my mum and I would've expected one if I said it about a mates mum as well.
  • Options
    ricky77ricky77 Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore it...kids 'cuss' each other's Mums on a regular basis...normally on the 'you're mum's so ugly/fat/loose' etc etc vibe....

It's human to take this personally, but believe me, it's just the way young boys are!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your son needs better friends! I'd be bloody furious if either of my kids were rude about their friends parents. I've brought them up better than that I hope.
    I've been on an exercise and diet regime this year and I've lost 5stone, I casually asked my teen daughter if she was ever embarrassed at having her friends over and seeing that she had a fat mum and whether they'd ever said anything to her. She said "nah they all think you're cool for a mum and if they'd ever said anything nasty about you, I'd have slapped them!".
    I must admit it did worry me at times that one of her friends would be nasty about my weight, not because I was over sensitive about it, people can think what they like about me but I didn't want her to feel embarrassed to have me as a mother.
    It seems like her friends have been raised well enough not to make personal comments about their friends parents just as mine have been raised not to be nasty about appearances.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ricky77 wrote: »
    Ignore it...kids 'cuss' each other's Mums on a regular basis...normally on the 'you're mum's so ugly/fat/loose' etc etc vibe....

It's human to take this personally, but believe me, it's just the way young boys are!

No it's not. It's the way boys with rubbish parenting are.
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your son needs better friends! I'd be bloody furious if either of my kids were rude about their friends parents. I've brought them up better than that I hope.

Whilst I am unlikely to ever meet the parents of the boy who said awful things to my older son about me, the girls who were involved in the incident with my other son are members of our local Scout group and I know their mother pretty well through that. Obviously not the kind of kids who take their Scout Promise or the ethos of the Scouts particularly seriously....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    No it's not. It's the way boys with rubbish parenting are.

Parents have little idea how their kids talk about them when they can't be overheard - and a lot go along with this sort of thing to fit in with peers so it's got little to do with the quality of parenting.