Options

How is everyone feeling about Eastenders at the moment?

Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, I was just wondering everyone's opinions on Eastenders?

Personally I'm bored and think it's getting stale. For me at the moment, Zainab is the only watching point for her comedy. Loving the Bianca/Kat friendship but thats about it. The Brannings are on overload.

Whats your opinion on Eastenders at the moment? 188 votes

At it's best
1% 2 votes
It's good
13% 25 votes
It's ok, only just watchable
27% 52 votes
Completely stale & boring
57% 109 votes

Comments

• Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I'm bored and think it's getting stale. For me at the moment, Zainab is the only watching point for her comedy. Loving the Bianca/Kat friendship but thats about it. The Brannings are on overload.

Which characters do you like and which storylines are you looking forward to
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not in a great state and I dont really know of any future stories to make it better.

The new family arriving might be a viewing puller.
  • Options
    axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atm I just watch EE out of habit. I don't actually look forward to it or particularly enjoy it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 voted and only 4 comments . I dont think it`s brilliant at the moment but am still watching all this week has been quite poor .
  • Options
    Natalie22Natalie22 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I clicked it was good by accident i meant to vote that it is absolute shit
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie22 wrote: »
    I clicked it was good by accident i meant to vote that it is absolute shit

lol :D
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Voted the same. Last night, I chose to watch Suits on Dave:D. Now there's a drama EE can learn a few things from. The last straw for me as far as EE is concerned is Zainab's exit story. So bad, so unfair, so wrong. After 5 years of loyal service, Nina gets lumbered with this! She's far too polite in her interviews about it. Ayesha's role in the whole affair irritates the hell out of me.

The thing is, once I switch off like I did prior to 2007/2008, it's going to take an original, fresh and compelling storyline to get me to tune in again. The Masoods did that for me, unlike the Brannings and the Moons. Nothing on EE is worth watching. Once Zainab leaves next week, my EE viewing will be severely curtailed to glancing at spoilers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    I think it's alright; I still love it though! Many people obviously still like it if it gets 8 million viewers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Voted the same. Last night, I chose to watch Suits on Dave:D. Now there's a drama EE can learn a few things from. The last straw for me as far as EE is concerned is Zainab's exit story. So bad, so unfair, so wrong. After 5 years of loyal service, Nina gets lumbered with this! She's far too polite in her interviews about it. Ayesha's role in the whole affair irritates the hell out of me.

The thing is, once I switch off like I did prior to 2007/2008, it's going to take an original, fresh and compelling storyline to get me to tune in again. The Masoods did that for me, unlike the Brannings and the Moons. Nothing on EE is worth watching. Once Zainab leaves next week, my EE viewing will be severely curtailed to glancing at spoilers.

Well won't you watch to see the characters that are good like Ian, Lucy, Patrick, Denise, Carol, Abi and Dot and to see the acting? If David Wicks ever comes back again will you watch it then?
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Its not in a great state and I dont really know of any future stories to make it better.

The new family arriving might be a viewing puller.

If they make a massive entrance,
    I did love the Miller ice cream van entrance,
    that is memorable to me, as well as the original Branning Entrance,
    All they need is trailers to get people to watch,
    and make them come in with a bang,
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely stale and boring.

There are only so many excuses that can be made for the poor quality. I'm tired of hanging on waiting for something to change and EastEnders to get its mojo back. I don't think it's been at the top of its game in almost a decade. Every so often things will improve a bit but the consistency is not there. A healthy tv show should not be having so many ups and downs. It's as if the production team can't get a handle on it and don't understand what it is or where to take it.

Newman's era so far can only be described as desperately dull. Her idea of warmth and friendship might sound good on paper but its not working out on screen. Nothing exciting is happening and nothing interesting is on the horizon. It appears the show has completely run out of steam and has nothing more to give. It's Julia Smith and Tony Holland I feel sorry for. They put everything into this series and it's a shame the last decade (primarily the 2006 to present period) has undone everything they achieved. Gone is the gritty reality and fleshed out character to be replaced by hum drum affair storylines and comedy characters.

Do the BBC care about the quality? I was under the impression they were obligated to provide a certain degree of quality to justify the continued existence of EastEnders. It now seems they're happy with anything the scriptwriters churn out no matter how below par just as long as the ratings are fine. A problem like EastEnders starts at the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely stale and boring.

There are only so many excuses that can be made for the poor quality. I'm tired of hanging on waiting for something to change and EastEnders to get its mojo back. I don't think it's been at the top of its game in almost a decade. Every so often things will improve a bit but the consistency is not there. A healthy tv show should not be having so many ups and downs. It's as if the production team can't get a handle on it and don't understand what it is or where to take it.

Newman's era so far can only be described as desperately dull. Her idea of warmth and friendship might sound good on paper but its not working out on screen. Nothing exciting is happening and nothing interesting is on the horizon. It appears the show has completely run out of steam and has nothing more to give. It's Julia Smith and Tony Holland I feel sorry for. They put everything into this series and it's a shame the last decade (primarily the 2006 to present period) has undone everything they achieved. Gone is the gritty reality and fleshed out character to be replaced by hum drum affair storylines and comedy characters.

Do the BBC care about the quality? I was under the impression they were obligated to provide a certain degree of quality to justify the continued existence of EastEnders. It now seems they're happy with anything the scriptwriters churn out no matter how below par just as long as the ratings are fine. A problem like EastEnders starts at the top.

Which storylines are you looking forward to? And which characters do you like?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been watching around once a week for the last year or so, (which is perfectly adequate to keep me informed of what's going on, since each ep is largely a repeat of the one before :rolleyes:), but having seen how the Zainab exit is being handled, (ie totally unrealistically and ridiculously), I don't plan to watch at all once she has gone.

It infuriates me that all of a sudden, Masood realises that he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life with Zee, presumably because some silly bimbo bats her eyelashes at him.:rolleyes:

Zee is as she always has been. She nags him to death, but always backs down when he eventually puts his foot down. The REAL Masood loves her to death and this is the most pathetic exit sl I have ever seen. It would have been better to kill her off than give us this utter tripe. :mad::mad:
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Well won't you watch to see the characters that are good like Ian, Lucy, Patrick, Denise, Carol, Abi and Dot and to see the acting? If David Wicks ever comes back again will you watch it then?

Sometimes not even good acting can save a bad story. For example the story between Carol and that Connor a couple of years ago. Lindsay Coulson is a fantastic actress but not even she could save such an awful story.

It's a similar situation just now. I think Jake Wood is a great actor but his current story is dreadful.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I hate to be 'that guy' but there are already two fairly lengthy threads on the first couple of pages that could answer this question for you. In fact, probably half of the threads started in the last er... god knows how long. :)

I would post something constructive to balance out the nit-picking, but I care that little about the show at the moment to really do so. There, I guess that's my answer, my constructive contribution to the thread.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I'm afraid I won't watch characters like Ian, Lucy, Patrick, Denise, Carol, Abi and Dot.

It's not the acting I have a problem with. It's not even the characters I have a problem with. What I have a problem with are the stories the TPTB gives them. They bore me. I just don't find them interesting because I've seen the same stories done before.

Take Lucy's probable cancer storyline that's coming up as an example. This will be the 3rd cancer-based storyline I've seen on EE in the last two years: previously, there was Pat's and Tanya's. I don't want to see yet another cancer-based storyline done badly. Why don't they do something new, fresh and different like testicular or prostate cancer for say a character like Max or Jack or Phil, even Jay? With Jay, such a cancer will be rare but it happens. But more importantly, it is the kind of issue EE should be doing because male cancers ever get a look in. It would be good to see how a male character deals with such a situation. Why does it have to be a female character plagued with this evil disease?

As I said, I won't watching EE after next week, but I'll check out the spoilers. If there is anything new, fresh and different - and not the same old storylines being churned out over and over again - then I might consider watching again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flbkab wrote: »
    Sometimes not even good acting can save a bad story. For example the story between Carol and that Connor a couple of years ago. Lindsay Coulson is a fantastic actress but not even she could save such an awful story.

It's a similar situation just now. I think Jake Wood is a great actor but his current story is dreadful.

Yeah but its just a storyline its not the end of the world if the storylines are bad all of you call yourself fans of Eastenders and yet your saying the show is in a bad place and your going to stop watching only true fans keep watching Eastenders and don't complain about the show and won't give Lorraine Newman a hard time none of you can do a better job if any of you were EP of Eastenders I doubt very much any of you will do a better job than Lorraine none of you have experience and Lorraine does have experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    No, I'm afraid I won't watch characters like Ian, Lucy, Patrick, Denise, Carol, Abi and Dot.

It's not the acting I have a problem with. It's not even the characters I have a problem with. What I have a problem with are the stories the TPTB gives them. They bore me. I just don't find them interesting because I've seen the same stories done before.

Take Lucy's probable cancer storyline that's coming up as an example. This will be the 3rd cancer-based storyline I've seen on EE in the last two years: previously, there was Pat's and Tanya's. I don't want to see yet another cancer-based storyline done badly. Why don't they do something new, fresh and different like testicular or prostate cancer for say a character like Max or Jack or Phil, even Jay? With Jay, such a cancer will be rare but it happens. But more importantly, it is the kind of issue EE should be doing because male cancers ever get a look in. It would be good to see how a male character deals with such a situation. Why does it have to be a female character plagued with this evil disease?

As I said, I won't watching EE after next week, but I'll check out the spoilers. If there is anything new, fresh and different - and not the same old storylines being churned out over and over again - then I might consider watching again.

Don't you like Patrick, Ian.Lucy, Abi, Carol and Dot? Actually Lucy's storyline could be interesting because a young character in Eastenders like Lucy hasn't had Cancer before
  • Options
    bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's utterly dire at the moment. There are simply NO interesting storylines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    It's utterly dire at the moment. There are simply NO interesting storylines.

Well Patrick is getting a storyline soon and so is Lucy and Liam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I'm sad to admit that it is completely stale & boring, I grew up watching EastEnders and I think I might stop watching it soon :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    I record it, i have a weeks worth to watch but cant be bothered as it just bores me thesedays!
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axl rose wrote: »
    Atm I just watch EE out of habit. I don't actually look forward to it or particularly enjoy it.

This really sums it up for me.
    Well Patrick is getting a storyline soon and so is Lucy and Liam.

Oh yes Liams gangster story line. I really do have no idea why all soaps seem to have the need for a gangster-type character. There not interesting in the slightest...well maybe HO Brendan but that's it.

And to the poster who said that Lorraine has experience, imo that's a con not a pro. We need someone innovative and fresh not some veteran.

Thanks for all the replies guys & gals! They really all have made for an interesting read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really sums it up for me.

Oh yes Liams gangster story line. I really do have no idea why all soaps seem to have the need for a gangster-type character. There not interesting in the slightest...well maybe HO Brendan but that's it.

And to the poster who said that Lorraine has experience, imo that's a con not a pro. We need someone innovative and fresh not some veteran.

Thanks for all the replies guys & gals! They really all have made for an interesting read.

What do you think about the Patrick storyline and the Lucy storyline? You think you can do a better job do you?
  • Options
    dannysaysdannysays Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Many people obviously still like it if it gets 8 million viewers

Don't under estimate how many people or households watch the soaps out of habit though. They are on same time every week and it becomes automatic to turn them on during the evenings. I watch EE and Corrie regularly. But I still always put Emmerdale on in the background just because I know its on but I don't particulary care for it that much. EE may still be pulling in 7-8 million viewers but it doesnt mean people are happy with it or particulary enjoying it as much as others. I am a fan and think its dire right now but I still find it hard to turn it off completely. It becomes hard when you have watched it for years on end, you keep longing for it to improve and sort itself out and hope by the next episode it will do....

My main gripe is with pacing and the quality of the writing. And the fact there is not one single storyline going on at present that is remotely gripping or interesting. And from what I know from future spoilers nothing is grabbing my attention there either. It just feels like there is nothing happening and its just plodding along....