Suitable wedding present?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Going to my sister's wedding in 2 weeks. I've no idea what to buy as a gift for the happy couple but would like it to be tasteful and something that will be a lasting memento of the occasion. Budget is £250 (flexible). I'm going to Jenners on Saturday for a browse but need some ideas. Thanks :)

Comments

• HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they not done a list, that's a large amount of money to spend on something random.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i ever have a wedding, your invited
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get them some legal drugs
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of a Lladro figurine, or a Swarovski crystal of two lovebirds? :)

Stuff like that aren't cheap... I thought my budget was quite modest... :o
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to John Lewis website, they have some ideas for wedding gifts, as do most of the quality department stores.
    Do they already have a home together with everything that they need. And whilst it is a lovely idea to buy them someyhing like the crystal, it's a lot of money to spend, if there is something else they really need, or something else that they would prefer.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be a bit careful about buying something like a figurine or crystal unless you know for sure that the couple will like it. I hate that stuff, so all that money would be completely wasted on me.

You really need to find out if they have registered anywhere or at least have a list and if all else fails there's nothing wrong with asking the couple!

P.S. Some really nice bedding (again assuming you know what they like) might be nice.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I really valued receiving was a Le Creuset cast iron cooking pot from my granny, which has lasted almost 20 years so far, with very frequent use, and costs about £120 these days. You could top that up with other paraphernalia, or alternatively, you might consider something like a 58 piece (8 person) stainless steel cutlery canteen, currently on HofFraser website, reduced from £459 to £229. Personally, I've always preferred useful items that last, rather than decorative knickknacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £250 is a huge amount of money for a wedding gift, even for a sibling!!

I think you should ask them, those figurines aren't to everybody's taste (I hate them) and it might end up in loft/back of cupboard which would be a big waste of money.

You really are best of asking them, or giving them the cash (or cash by way of gift voucher for somewhere like John Lewis) or getting something useful (really good cooking pans as suggested above is a good idea).
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Buy them a small tree that they can plant in their garden and over the years grows will continue to grow and flourish into something bigger, robust and ever-lasting. You could describe it as a metaphor for their love for each other if you were feeling a bit slushy.

Spend the remainder on champagne & a couple of decent bottles of wine to stash away until their fifth or tenth wedding anniversary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    For my brother's wedding present I ordered a personalized cartoon portrait of the happy couple from www.CartoonPortraits.co.uk

They loved it and still have it hanging in their living room :-)
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £250 is a lot of money to spend even though it's your sister! I'd definitely make sure it's something they want (I'd hate figurines!). I prefer to give cash as a wedding gift, then you know they're definitely going to use it on something they will like.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence, but I just googled Lladro figurine and my stomach turned a little. I definitely agree with others and see if you can find out from the couple if they'd like this sort of thing. It's a large amount of money to spend (not modest at all) on something that may turn out to be unliked.

If you're going to get them a figurine or momento, why not either pick something special and individual from a craft fair or even have something commisioned for them? I have an antique I picked up of an enameled box with the couples' chinese birth signs on the side (rooster and dragon). You've got a lot of money to play with, so could work with an artist to produce something really special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Buy them a small tree that they can plant in their garden and over the years grows will continue to grow and flourish into something bigger, robust and ever-lasting. You could describe it as a metaphor for their love..

Well, my marriage is doomed then. My sister gave me a fruit tree. It died. We moved house. End.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks I'll forget expensive figurine ornaments. Am thinking of a nice dinner service set like Royal Worcester/Doulton, or a silver cutlery set, something special and useful :)
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes a nice dinner set is really good idea, go to John Lewis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Ok thanks I'll forget expensive figurine ornaments. Am thinking of a nice dinner service set like Royal Worcester/Doulton, or a silver cutlery set, something special and useful :)

That'll be a stainless steel set of cutlery (40-50 pieces), or alternatively 6 sterling silver teaspoons, for £250.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I know giving a gift should have the element of surprise but isnt it best to ask them, or at least ask others what they are getting?

Imagine if you get a lovely cutlery set and so does someone else? Or if you got a nice set of dishes and so did another relative of the bride/groom.

Someone once told me how he and his wife got two microwaves when they got married. One from his parents and one from her sister. They didnt want to offend either by returning their one so alternated them a few times a year! Its probably cases like that which have made the gift lists so popular and practical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    That'll be a stainless steel set of cutlery (40-50 pieces), or alternatively 6 sterling silver teaspoons, for £250.

Whoops :o

Maybe the silver teaspoons for any forthcoming babies :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I know giving a gift should have the element of surprise but isnt it best to ask them, or at least ask others what they are getting?

Imagine if you get a lovely cutlery set and so does someone else? Or if you got a nice set of dishes and so did another relative of the bride/groom.

Someone once told me how he and his wife got two microwaves when they got married. One from his parents and one from her sister. They didnt want to offend either by returning their one so alternated them a few times a year! Its probably cases like that which have made the gift lists so popular and practical.
    Hmm, good point. On the other hand, one can never have too many nice china :)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the other hand, one can never have too many nice china :)

Really? Yes, you can.

Earlier recommendation of Le Creuset was good. We had sone of that on our wedding list. Pricey but it'll last forever and it's bloomin useful!

Have they not got a wedding list? What have they told other guests to do? Seems unusual not to give pointers nowadays...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll look into Le Creuset. My sister does enjoy cooking. She makes yummy home made chocolates & sweets. :)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll look into Le Creuset. My sister does enjoy cooking. She makes yummy home made chocolates & sweets. :)

I know it seems as though everyone is pissing on your parade but again make sure it is a wanted gift.

As much as I'd love to own a few Le Creuset pieces, I am not sure if I'd prefer the cash !!!!

Are they going on honeymoon? Maybe get the money changed up to the currency of where they are going?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, good point. On the other hand, one can never have too many nice china :)

Have got to say, you can have too much china- any china is too much IMO! :o

How old are they? Are they 50/60+ and just marrying later in life? Perhaps china would be wanted if that's the case. If younger then you really ought to double check about a gift list, I've never known a couple getting married to not make a gift list, or at least advise on the invite of their preference. We've had at least one couple that said they'd appreciate money towards their honeymoon as they'd already been living together for quite a while so didn't need anything for their home, nor did they have room for anything else.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Do they live together and how old are they?

Personally speaking if i was to get married i wouldnt want any gifts since we have lived together for a few years we have everything we would like in the house.

Remember that other peoples tastes vary vastly from your own.

You could always get them something small and cheapish as a typical wedding gift, and then get them one of those day trip gifts like hot air ballooning, wine tasting, city breaks etc. im sure once they have had the wedding and got back from their honeymoon there would be a sense of disappointment that its all over. Maybe a short break a few months later they can look forward to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister got us two fairly cheap, but well thought out and personalised gifts. They are both on display in our home and are wonderful reminders of our special day. Be creative!