Why are foreigners so loud when they talk?

Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
Forum Member
✭✭
This is not a racist post, but I was on the bus coming to work, and some Spanish people, some Asian's and some what I am guessing were Nigerians got on the bus, and they all talk very very loudly. I've noticed this a few times, is it just in their nature to speak in a higher volume compared to us Brits?. First thing in the morning it can be a bit much too cope with for me, maybe it's just their way. By the way I am an Asian myself, been here 46 years so I don't want this to come across as a racist attack please.

Comments

• jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Have you never been in Spain when the English are talking!!!
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "This is not a racist post, but......"

LOL!! Nice try, but FAIL.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    This is not a racist post = I'm not homophobic but.. etc.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime I travel to England it's always the English I hear talking really loudly about really boring stuff on public transport. Any of the "foreigners" are really quiet and you can hardly make out what language they are speaking.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    You probably just notice them more because they are foreign they have immediately stood out to you and you've taken an interest in what they are doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Its probably because you have a low tolerance level of "foreigners"
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're probably just really excited that they've worked out how to scam the local library to get more internet time than they are allowed
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I would think that spanish people are more temperament than brits, that's the reason why they talk load. Italians are the same. It's important however that we do not generalise. Not all spanish or italian people, just like not all the brits are quiet and aloof.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i think its a cultural thing..most brits are like the scandinavians , quiet and respectful in public...and very patient and quiet in supermarkets , queues etc...i have noticed other europeans and people from other continents talking really loud in their own languages...
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't anyone allowed to say anything about foreigners without being accused of rascism or xenophobia.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're probably just really excited that they've worked out how to scam the local library to get more internet time than they are allowed

Move over Lee Evans, here's a real comedian!

Yawn....
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is somebody who has obviously never been to the USA. A busy American restaurant has to be the noisiest on earth.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    This is somebody who has obviously never been to the USA. A busy American restaurant has to be the noisiest on earth.

Very true. And not just in the U.S.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    i think its a cultural thing..most brits are like the scandinavians , quiet and respectful in public...and very patient and quiet in supermarkets , queues etc...i have noticed other europeans and people from other continents talking really loud in their own languages...

I think this a much better way of putting the point across that the OP was trying to make.

I was on a bus some years ago and two african women were sitting on the seats directly behind the driver and they were talking to each other incredibly loudly and it wasn't as if they had to make themselves heard over anyone else because it was just them and me on the bus.

When we pulled up at some traffic lights, the driver leant out of his cab and said to them "Can you please keep the noise down? You're shouting so loudly you're distracting me from driving".

Of course he then had to put up with a barrage of abuse and accusations of being racist ..
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    Anytime I travel to England it's always the English I hear talking really loudly about really boring stuff on public transport. Any of the "foreigners" are really quiet and you can hardly make out what language they are speaking.

Yes I found this too.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend a lot of time in Spain and have noticed that they tend to talk at rather a loud volume!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I think this a much better way of putting the point across that the OP was trying to make.

I was on a bus some years ago and two african women were sitting on the seats directly behind the driver and they were talking to each other incredibly loudly and it wasn't as if they had to make themselves heard over anyone else because it was just them and me on the bus.

When we pulled up at some traffic lights, the driver leant out of his cab and said to them "Can you please keep the noise down? You're shouting so loudly you're distracting me from driving".

Of course he then had to put up with a barrage of abuse and accusations of being racist ..

What point does this ^^^ make then?:confused:
    That you once sat in a bus with two noisy women.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a study that showed the Spanish are the loudest speakers in Europe. This came as no surprise to me, as I shared a flat with Spanish exchange students when I was at university! There were a lot of international students, the the Spanish were easily the loudest! :D

You do have to factor a few things into making those judgements. The sort of person who goes travelling, or works abroad, may be more outgoing than average, or simply being abroad might make you a bit more excitable, therefore loud.

Even within the UK, there are cultural influences on language. The more rural accents tend to be softer, whereas if you hear an accent from an industrial city, it was developed as people had to shout over the sound of machinery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    What point does this ^^^ make then?:confused:.

Simply an anecdote to back up this post ..
    Jakobjoe wrote: »

and also the fact that you seemingly can't make any points about foreign people without being accused of being racist.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

Did the two women join in as well ? :D
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't anyone allowed to say anything about foreigners without being accused of rascism or xenophobia.

I think you are allowed to say positive things about foreigners without being accused of racism. But don't quote me on that.

I think it's about differing cultural norms. To them we British appear repressedly quiet. In my experience 'loud' societies argue but don't fight whereas those that repress noise and emotion suddenly flare into violence. On balance the former is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Did the two women join in as well ? :D

hey, since i was the only other person on the bus, that implies it was me that hurled the barrage of abuse :)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Spain they have to yell above the corrida
    In Italy they have to shout above the Vespa
    In the middle east they have to holler above the stonings
    In Greece they have to raise their noise above the smashing plates
    In England we have only to talk about the level of leather on willow and the clink of silver spoons on china with the sounds of moles under the pitch in the background.
    ... there's always a reason for everything in the world. Toodle pip
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    This is not a racist post = I'm not homophobic but.. etc.

"I've even got darkies as friends".
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    jeffkey1 wrote: »
    Have you never been in Spain when the English are talking!!!

Talking?
    I thought they were too busy barfing all over the pavements to talk.