Remo Williams returns!

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently Shane Black has signed on to direct a new version of Remo Williams, from the Destroyer series of books by Richard Sapir.

This was filmed back in the 80's by Lewis Gilbert, starring Fred Ward as Remo. I liked the movie, thought it was very underrated.

It was hoped it would it would start a franchise, but it just didn't perform well at the box office. I personally don't think Fred Ward was a big enough draw, and even Joel Grey was not that well known to the sort of audience that would go for this sort of movie.

It wasn't balls-to-the-wall action either, as lot of 80's action movies were back then, and was largely compared to The Karate Kid (there were similarities in the training sequences and the notion of a teacher/mentor).

However, I think a fresh take on the series with a director like Black could produce good results.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the bluray of the original film. Fred isn't bad but it is the Joel Grey as Chiun who makes the film.

I like films about Gurus who train novices in a spiritual way.

The Last Dragon is a similar film, along with The Karate Kid of course.

I'm not sure if a sequel would work with different actors, but if it kept the 80s kitsch style it might work.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the bluray of the original film. Fred isn't bad but it is the Joel Grey as Chiun who makes the film.

I like films about Gurus who train novices in a spiritual way.

The Last Dragon is a similar film, along with The Karate Kid of course.

I'm not sure if a sequel would work with different actors, but if it kept the 80s kitsch style it might work.

Agree that Ward was never a big enough star to make the original a hit, but he was ok.

There was also a lot of controversy about Grey being cast as an Asian character in heavy make-up rather than using a genuine Asian actor. That said, he was pretty good.

I also love The Last Dragon, it was very tongue in cheek and did not take itself seriously...I particularly loved Julius Carry as the ridiculously over-the-top Sho Nuff.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not watched since it first came out. I was a kid at the time, so my comments are based on what I remember. I did enjoy it, but it did have of a second tier action flick feel to it. I remember thinking it was a mix of stuff I'd seen before, with less style. Fred Ward wasn't macho or charismatic enough to inspire any kind of kid hero worship. My predominant memory of him was Timerider, where he goes back in time to the Wild West on his motorbike