Britney Spears was the biggest selling female artist of the 2000s

HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In our post Gaga world, a lot of people try to minimise Britney's achievements and act like Gaga is the biggest pop star since Madonna/Michael Jackson. Not so. The Britney phenomenon was bigger and longer lasting than Gaga and her little monsters. For those of you who are too young to remember, Britney had the iconic allure of Gaga, the teen mania that surrounds Justin Bieber and the mainstream appeal and sexiness of Rihanna. She was quite simply the perfect pop star. And it's not like she's some has-been now either, in 2012, Forbes named her the highest paid woman in music. I can't wait for her eighth album due later this year :D

Comments

• Paulo LeedsPaulo Leeds Posts: 2,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep. a phenomenon
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering her first two albums sold 48 million between them not surprising. She truly was a phenemonon she did it all Pepsi adverts, Bad Films, Snogging Madonna and some seriously great pop tunes. yes in recent years her sales and material ahve hit a snag but she is still a force if a somewhat minor one and it'll be a long time until someone comes along to truly topple what she acheived at her peak 99-2006. Also she is still the worlds top selling teenage artist.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw a clip of You Drive Me Crazy on a program and it just instantly reminded me how amazing a performer she was and the amazing pop songs but I feel she's lost so much of her personality now and feels like she's just going through the motions.
    Her peak was definitely 99-04 she was untouchable and agree with original post she combined everything. Not to mention very likeable and appeared very down to earth unlike the stiff machines Rihanna, Beyonce and Lady Gaga.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable. Love her or hate her, you can't deny the impact she had on pop culture and music. I can't wait for her eighth album!
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    In our post Gaga world, a lot of people try to minimise Britney's achievements and act like Gaga is the biggest pop star since Madonna/Michael Jackson. Not so. The Britney phenomenon was bigger and longer lasting than Gaga and her little monsters. For those of you who are too young to remember, Britney had the iconic allure of Gaga, the teen mania that surrounds Justin Bieber and the mainstream appeal and sexiness of Rihanna. She was quite simply the perfect pop star. And it's not like she's some has-been now either, in 2012, Forbes named her the highest paid woman in music. I can't wait for her eighth album due later this year :D

Billboard think otherwise:
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/02/22/us-moneymakers-idUSBRE91L0TW20130222
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney really was a phenomenon in the early 00s. I remember hearing about her literally everywhere. Even during the terrible time for her that was 2006 - 07 she was still arguably the biggest pop star on the planet and managed to create one of my favourite albums of all time (Blackout).

People can try and undermine her success but the fact remains she's easily one of the most successful and memorable pop stars of the past decade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »

From Forbes.com:
    Still, older stars such as Madonna made the list; she earned $30 million despite the fact that none of the dates from her new tour fell into our scoring period

That's why she didn't top their list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always loved her and still do I can't wait for the new album either :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was massive and her success is astonishing and she had some great pop tunes.

Today she is just a joke, her music is crap, she is one of the worst live performers in the industry (mainly because she can't be asked to sing most of the time), she has no personality and despite this is still one of the most talked about singers with a dedicated fan base. It's crazy, she is one of a kind,
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    She was massive and her success is astonishing and she had some great pop tunes.

Today she is just a joke, her music is crap, she is one of the worst live performers in the industry (mainly because she can't be asked to sing most of the time), she has no personality and despite this is still one of the most talked about singers with a dedicated fan base. It's crazy, she is one of a kind,

i am no big fan of ms spears, but even i find that a bit harsh.:o i actually think her music is her strongest point, her record company clearly spend a lot of money sourcing her good material. i can't knock her in that respect.

i do think as a performer she is past her peak, the dancing is not on par and that was her main selling point in terms of performance. however, she seems to have pretty good longevity, which doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with former phenomenons. personally, i think her personal struggles played a part there, especially in the us in recent years. people wanted to see her triumph following her public breakdown and generally think well of her despite her limitations now.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome! :D

I'm a fan of Britney! A big fan! I liked her when she was in her first stage, but I really started loving her around the time of Toxic. Blackout was the first album I bought of hers and it lead me to be a huge fan.

A lot of people complain about how she performs now, but, to be honest, I prefer it over the hardcore dancing she used to do. Looking at old performances she danced so hard that it looked unrelatable and obviously mimed. I like her more relatable dancing and performances now. Heck, I even like the strutting! :p She isn't trying to top what she did, why should she? She's older, wiser and more focused on her children which are obviously more important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »

It's nice of you to say she is one of a kind... but she is far from a joke. Britney's music, if anything, has become more critically acclaimed (In the Zone, Blackout and Femme Fatale). She is respected by most of the people she has worked with for her energy, passion and work ethic. Producers have always lined up to praise her and her relationship with music. You don't need to be an amazing vocalist to connect with a song, perform it on a stage, or even earn fans. Britney shows this. Her personality has obviously matured from a 20/21 year old at her peak and she doesn't need to go crazy (again) to make an impact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive... a massive puppet.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice of you to say she is one of a kind... but she is far from a joke. Britney's music, if anything, has become more critically acclaimed (In the Zone, Blackout and Femme Fatale). .

Metacritic.

Zone - 67
    Blackout - 61
    Femme Fatale - 66
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metacritic.

Zone - 67
    Blackout - 61
    Femme Fatale - 66

All those scores indicate generally favorable reviews.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    All those scores indicate generally favorable reviews.

Undoubtedly.

But the yearly average for albums on metacritic hovers between 74-75 (77 in 2009). It's only a very small percentage of albums that score less than 60 on metacritic just due to the way it works.
    Given the amount of money thrown at Brit's album and the amount of people than work on it and cherry pick the tracks - those review are pretty weak - even in comparison to other pop acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly.

But the yearly average for albums on metacritic hovers between 74-75 (77 in 2009). It's only a very small percentage of albums that score less than 60 on metacritic just due to the way it works.
    Given the amount of money thrown at Brit's album and the amount of people than work on it and cherry pick the tracks - those review are pretty weak - even in comparison to other pop acts.

True.

I do think it would be interesting to see what scores they would achieve if it was someone else's name on the cover though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly.

Blackout is regarded as one of the most influential pop albums of the last decade, at least. It's ridiculous that Circus, the following album, scored higher on metacritic.
    Femme Fatale was one of the leading albums to incorporate dubstep music with pop, and a year later most pop songs had some form of dubstep breakdown in there.

I completely agree that if Britney's name wasn't on the albums they would score much higher. She has a stigma to her of bubblegum pop that people rarely take seriously, but bubblegum pop was ten, eleven, twelve years ago for Britney. Blackout, ITZ and FF are faaaar from bubblegum pop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackout is regarded as one of the most influential pop albums of the last decade, at least. It's ridiculous that Circus, the following album, scored higher on metacritic.
    Femme Fatale was one of the leading albums to incorporate dubstep music with pop, and a year later most pop songs had some form of dubstep breakdown in there.

I completely agree that if Britney's name wasn't on the albums they would score much higher. She has a stigma to her of bubblegum pop that people rarely take seriously, but bubblegum pop was ten, eleven, twelve years ago for Britney. Blackout, ITZ and FF are faaaar from bubblegum pop.

Well rihanna really was the first ti incorporate dubstep on Rated R. Femme Fatale was probably the first album by an established mainstream artits to incorporate that style aswell as songs like How I roll going on to influence a whole load of others. So Britney remains the queen of avant garde pop undoubtedly :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well rihanna really was the first ti incorporate dubstep on Rated R. Femme Fatale was probably the first album by an established mainstream artits to incorporate that style aswell as songs like How I roll going on to influence a whole load of others. So Britney remains the queen of avant garde pop undoubtedly :)

Oh yeah, I know she wasn't the very first. But she did have dubstep on Blackout on Freakshow as well. Hopefully How I Roll will inspire people! It's my favourite track off that album. It got recognition as Rolling Stone's best song of the year too!
    Bloodshy & Avant forever on Britney's albums, please!
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

I thought Freakshow on 2007's Blackout sounded like it had a dubstep influence, but a lot of people disagree and are adamant it wasn't dubstep. :confused: Blackout was amazing, I though it was catchier, better produced and more sonically daring than the other big female pop albums of 2006/7 like Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad or Nelly Furtado's Loose and whatever the Fergie album was called. :D If she had released Blackout when she was in full health and given it the promotion, performances and music videos it deserved, I think it would have been absolutely massive. It was also the only album that she was ever the executive producer of, she fired everyone else on her team so the whole album was completely her vision. When her team ended up taking control again, we got Circus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least no one wiil ever say Britney was the most talented or innovative artist of the 00s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    True.

I do think it would be interesting to see what scores they would achieve if it was someone else's name on the cover though.

Might as well have someone else's name on the cover seeing how little she contributes to them.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's a shame she's become some fragile weirdo who can't dance anymore and disrespects her fans. She used to be talented but now she's a reck I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    I thought Freakshow on 2007's Blackout sounded like it had a dubstep influence, but a lot of people disagree and are adamant it wasn't dubstep. :confused: Blackout was amazing, I though it was catchier, better produced and more sonically daring than the other big female pop albums of 2006/7 like Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad or Nelly Furtado's Loose and whatever the Fergie album was called. :D If she had released Blackout when she was in full health and given it the promotion, performances and music videos it deserved, I think it would have been absolutely massive. It was also the only album that she was ever the executive producer of, she fired everyone else on her team so the whole album was completely her vision. When her team ended up taking control again, we got Circus.

I think exactly with promo and with a Britney in full health it would have been unstopable . And it is telling that the labum in which she had near total control it is her best and the follow up was in my opinion nothign short of watered down dirge with a half decent smattering of songs.