Wonder how MS's PR bosses and product development teams feel now?

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    There is no PR hype from Sony. In fact people were underwhelmed by the Playstation Meeting.

It's what Sony's actions and its attitude and commitment to gaming which is getting through to the early adopter/core gamer.

Sony built the PS4 for gaming from the ground up, using off the shelf PC parts. MSFT is also using off the shelf PC parts, but is aiming for the 'one' multimedia experience.
    Even MSFT have said that the Xbox 1 is not aimed for high-end graphics.

Sure there are a few fanboys around, but mostly fanboyism is so last gen.

There is ALWAYS PR hype from Sony, it's how the operate. They even went so far to hire an actor once to shrug off the more corporate image that MS have. It worked too. It's something Sony are leagues ahead of MS in.

Who is "MSFT"? Both console use custom made GPU's, they are not "off-the-shelf" parts and the system architecture of both machines are unique and is what will bring out power in ways it never would in a PC. MS obviously believe in the architecture of the Xbox One, say what you like but they know how to make powerful consoles.

Xbox One not aimed at high-end graphics?

Xbox One was designed to be the most advanced gaming console ever,
    and the best entertainment console. To make that possible, we did something unprecedented. For the first time ever, we created a state-of-the-art gaming OS and fused it together with a powerful Windows OS.

Xbox One is the perfect balance of power and performance. In addition to Xbox One’s revolutionary architecture, the combination of its CPU, GPU and ESRAM is like having a supercomputer in your living room. But raw power is nothing without speed. So the Xbox One uses its power more effectively, creating lightning fast experiences unlike anything you’ve
    had before.
    link

That's taken from the official site. It was built for next-gen gaming and to last the duration.

Fanboyism is so last gen? Not from where I'm standing lol, given the knee-jerk reactions and personal responses to the Xbox One you would think half of the internet is a fanboy of some kind.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is ALWAYS PR hype from Sony, it's how the operate. They even went so far to hire an actor once to shrug off the more corporate image that MS have. It worked too. It's something Sony are leagues ahead of MS in.

Below is an example of PR hype
    Originally Posted by Microsoft Xbox One website

Xbox One was designed to be the most advanced gaming console ever,
    and the best entertainment console. To make that possible, we did something unprecedented. For the first time ever, we created a state-of-the-art gaming OS and fused it together with a powerful Windows OS.

Xbox One is the perfect balance of power and performance. In addition to Xbox One’s revolutionary architecture, the combination of its CPU, GPU and ESRAM is like having a supercomputer in your living room. But raw power is nothing without speed. So the Xbox One uses its power more effectively, creating lightning fast experiences unlike anything you’ve
    had before. link
    Forum Member
    Of course it is, but is it false advertising?

Let's wait and see guys!
  • HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gamers can think for themselves? yet you seem to be speaking for an awful lot of them. I'm not denying the opposition to MS unveiling but I do find it slightly puzzling at best and a massive overreaction at worse. I can't say I have noticed the "bajillion" 360 fans moving over to Sony since most rational people understand E3 is only two weeks away and MS have promised a lot. It's only the fanboys making a lot of noise right now.

You'll have to elaborate on why Sony are offering the better product because to me the games MS showed already look better, as did the controller, as did the operating system. I even like the look of the machine. If I'm in the minority then I accept that, it's just how I see things.

MS have promised a lot games wise but only shown one new ip that interests me so far, the rest are negatives. Im certainly no fanboy, own both current gen consoles and 360 rates as probably my favorite console of all time so much as the PS3 was relegated to an expensive netflix player. So it pains me to say it but what I know about X1 is driving me towards PS4.

Sony could still come out and say they have a similar system for used games, MS may even sway me with some new ips. Im sure it will become clearer at E3, but MS are on the back foot.
    Forum Member
    Hypnos wrote: »
    MS have promised a lot games wise but only shown one new ip that interests me so far, the rest are negatives. Im certainly no fanboy, own both current gen consoles and 360 rates as probably my favorite console of all time so much as the PS3 was relegated to an expensive netflix player. So it pains me to say it but what I know about X1 is driving me towards PS4.

Sony could still come out and say they have a similar system for used games, MS may even sway me with some new ips. Im sure it will become clearer at E3, but MS are on the back foot.

Cool, that's a perfectly rational viewpoint and I take no issue with it.

I think regarding Used games Sony will go the same way, the details on Sony's end are very sketchy and EA have ditched online passes so Sony will have to have something in place to cover the equivalent of what Xbox One is offering, unless they want to foot the bill themselves. Also publishers will be making a lot more money from Xbox One sales than PS4 if not.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Fanboyism is so last gen? Not from where I'm standing lol, given the knee-jerk reactions and personal responses to the Xbox One you would think half of the internet is a fanboy of some kind.

Trust me, if Sony brought out clumsy hardware or were not focussing on games or the industry, I would say it aloud!
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gamers can think for themselves? yet you seem to be speaking for an awful lot of them. I'm not denying the opposition to MS unveiling but I do find it slightly puzzling at best and a massive overreaction at worse. I can't say I have noticed the "bajillion" 360 fans moving over to Sony since most rational people understand E3 is only two weeks away and MS have promised a lot. It's only the fanboys making a lot of noise right now.
    No, it's simply not. Fanboyism is dying out compared to what it used to be and there are comments all over the place from people who love their 360s but can't commit to the next console given the news that keeps coming out about it. The "always online" thing was a real sore point that even I thought MS would never actually go with, especially after the backlash when the rumours really started heating up...but when it comes down to it, apparently the best concession they make is "oh it just needs authenticating once every 24 hours"? Madness.
    You'll have to elaborate on why Sony are offering the better product because to me the games MS showed already look better, as did the controller, as did the operating system. I even like the look of the machine. If I'm in the minority then I accept that, it's just how I see things.
    It's not so much that Sony has X amount of awesome features to trump the competition, simply that they're refraining from making the stupid mistakes of always-online, no used games, motion controls required, console constantly monitoring what you're doing etc. Not to mention their employees aren't treating the potential customer-base like dogshit. MS's attitude repeatedly comes off as "we're right and you don't know what you're talking about", whereas Sony come off more contrite about their past mistakes and seem like they want to lure people back instead of push them away.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that wouldn't work without running a cable box of some sort through it? Like if (for example) you only had Freeview?

Well, as has been said that feature is only going to work in USA at launch, so it's anyone's guess as to when and if it is implemented anywhere else.

If it does come to the UK I'd guess they will certainly have it work the Sky+ box, very likely to have it work with Virgin Tivo as they are the big two with resources to spend on working with MS. They could probably work with YouView as that platform is being pushed by many ISPs.

It will then remain to be seen how much effort is put into making it work with other boxes such as older Sky/Virgin boxes or the large range of freeview boxes. I'd guess there will be many where it won't work or will only partly work.

Certainly, any box without HDMI out is a total no.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Well, as has been said that feature is only going to work in USA at launch, so it's anyone's guess as to when and if it is implemented anywhere else.

If it does come to the UK I'd guess they will certainly have it work the Sky+ box, very likely to have it work with Virgin Tivo as they are the big two with resources to spend on working with MS. They could probably work with YouView as that platform is being pushed by many ISPs.

It will then remain to be seen how much effort is put into making it work with other boxes such as older Sky/Virgin boxes or the large range of freeview boxes. I'd guess there will be many where it won't work or will only partly work.

Certainly, any box without HDMI out is a total no.

Thanks for the explanation. That would put me out then, as we only have an older Virgin media box and a non-HDMI PVR in the room where any new console might go.

Ho-hum, I can't say I'm that bothered, mostly because I'm still happy with my current gen machines.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This time last gen we saw a very similar picture, so much was promised of the PS3, even to the point where a lot of people thought MS were out of the race, in some cases even reputable websites like Eurogamer wrote whole articles where they felt the two machines were even a generation apart. This was all based on Sony's hype, they've always done marketing and PR a lot better, but I'm yet to be let down by MS in reality.

in essence the whole entire discussion is a waste of time, it's simply a case of wait and see.

Take of your rose tinted glasses mate. I've always respected your view on gaming but i'm afraid you're way of the mark here.
    Microsoft have screwed up.
    As for games looking better on the xbox one? i'm afraid i disagree with you on that Drive Club blew the pants of forza 5.
    The only thing that looked good was the call of duty ghost trailer but guess what? that's going to be on both consoles.
    Seriously mate wake up and smell the coffee you really are starting to sound like a fan boy these days.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool, that's a perfectly rational viewpoint and I take no issue with it.

I think regarding Used games Sony will go the same way, the details on Sony's end are very sketchy and EA have ditched online passes so Sony will have to have something in place to cover the equivalent of what Xbox One is offering, unless they want to foot the bill themselves. Also publishers will be making a lot more money from Xbox One sales than PS4 if not.

Yeah I agree, it may not be the exact same way, but they will have something similar. If this is publisher driven Sony don't have much choice unless they subsidise the publisher. Sony had the benefit of going so early, in that people knew they weren't going to go into too much detail until E3, or at least until MS had thier reveal, that would have been stupid. It also means MS is taking the all the critisism for now.

At E3 Sony will have to confirm thier stance, I have heard they are leaving the choice to publisher's, who will obviously impliment it, but will Sony be seen as the bad guy and get the same critisism as MS? Possibly not.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Take of your rose tinted glasses mate. I've always respected your view on gaming but i'm afraid you're way of the mark here.
    Microsoft have screwed up.
    As for games looking better on the xbox one? i'm afraid i disagree with you on that Drive Club blew the pants of forza 5.
    The only thing that looked good was the call of duty ghost trailer but guess what? that's going to be on both consoles.
    Seriously mate wake up and smell the coffee you really are starting to sound like a fan boy these days.

How have MS screwed up ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit the lack of B/C is a disappointment but as far as pre owned games go, it's not a problem.
  • HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    MS seem to be trying to please two sets of people here and not doing a very good job of it.

My kids both have Xboxes and I'm most miffed by the fact that they won't be able to share games.

There's no way I'm splashing out on two copies of one game as they are expensive enough as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    I agree, and I also find it a bit weird that people are writing off a console before even seeing the games.

I was considering being an early adopter for once with the new Xbox however I'll be adopting somehing else. Nothing to do with the games more everything else around the console...the Kinetic having to be bought and connecting...the 2nd hand market potential issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS seem to be trying to please two sets of people here and not doing a very good job of it.

My kids both have Xboxes and I'm most miffed by the fact that they won't be able to share games.

There's no way I'm splashing out on two copies of one game as they are expensive enough as it is.

For me it'll be a case of one xbox one between the 3 gamers in our house. No way am I paying out for multiple copies of the same game. It's expensive enough having to purchase 3 Gold accounts.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Major Nelson said there will be something like Xbox Live Gold family pack making a return so people in one household can buy a single copy of a game and share it (might be on just one console or something).
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read as you wouldn't need family membership if it was same console. 1 live membership would cover essentially sub accounts on that console. Ie the live was linked to console. However the purchaser could still move to a friends console and sign in (but not the sub owners) which sounds fair to me and miles better than the current live system
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's expensive enough having to purchase 3 Gold accounts.

Almost choked on my tea there.

As a Playstation user it's just mental to read. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    I was considering being an early adopter for once with the new Xbox however I'll be adopting somehing else. Nothing to do with the games more everything else around the console...the Kinetic having to be bought and connecting...the 2nd hand market potential issue.
    I just find it a bit weird that people say (rightly, imo) that the games are the priority but are making judgements before seeing them. For me, the TV stuff doesn't really interest me so I'd probably just ignore that feature and Kinect I'm that bothered about at the moment (could be good, could be gimmicky) but if the games look great I'll still be interested in getting the new Xbox. The 2nd hand stuff is still up in the air and I'd expect the PS4 to have something similar anyway so there probably won't be much difference between the two in that regard. Sony have been clever in holding back details and letting MS show their hand first imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Almost choked on my tea there.

As a Playstation user it's just mental to read. :eek:

Yeah I bet it is but imo xbox360 is pants without online gaming.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The 'One' - the best console ever made! Even helps you re-sell your used games!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I bet it is but imo xbox360 is pants without online gaming.

I know that, but paying for the same thing 3 times? Bugger that. Everyone would be using the same account if it was me.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that, but paying for the same thing 3 times? Bugger that. Everyone would be using the same account if it was me.

THat was my situation. Id only pay once. Sounds like this is how the new system works
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose its not so bad being on the same console but i certainly won't be doing it on xbox one (if we get one). it'll be one account for all