Options

How Many Acts Have To Sign Contracts

textpesttextpest Posts: 329
Forum Member
Just wondered if Cowell signs all finalists after the semis or do you reckon all semi finalists have to sign a exclusivity contract else they dont get put thro.

I wondered, as Disney has approached Cowell with regards to Shaheen about him making movies and not his parents/manager.

Comments

• Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will probably be some sort of formality signed to say that he will get money if they get signed by agencies/record labels/tv endorsements etc. Certainly all the finalists will have something to sign - he'll get as much money from them as he can!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disney want shaheen to sign a contract with them but he is still signed with britains got talent so it will be up to simon
  • Options
    jaybsjaybs Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cowell has first option, no way would he let anyone escape that may make him a quick pound or two. There were problems over some of his contacts for one of his shows and he denied! he knew how tight it was in his favour. But desperate contestants will sign anything, anyway you have no option.

The finalists who go on tour get a fee per show, not real big money, but in the contract is it clear they have to even pay an agents fee!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    i thought it went "sign on the line or get out" kinda thing for all forty. Faryl was the on exception last year and they will never make that mistake again
  • Options
    jaybsjaybs Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faryl's Parents it is alleged Refused to sign with Cowell and that is what would be best for Susan Boyle in my opinion.

Shaheen and Disney, money man Cowell will see ££££££££££'s in his eyes! as long as he is managing agent and perhaps scyco get an imprint on any releases, such money grabbing opportunity, how could Cowell turn it down? more $$$$$$$£££££££ for Him!
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought they would have contracts with Modest! Management and some kind of first refusal with Syco.

The whole aim will be to prevent contestants cashing in on their appearances on the show so there will be some sort of first refusal period. Faryl had to wait ages to release her album and that certainly seems to have knocked her potential sales.

Susan has no real choice but to sign with Syco. If she turns her back on them, they'll pull all her promotion. That includes the YouTube video, appearances on shows like Oprah and America's Got Talent but more importantly, the first refusal period will be so long that the iron, which is already cooling rapidly, will be stone cold when it is finally struck. She only has one album in her, probably no chance of touring, so she needs to maximise its sales.

Not sure about Shaheen. Syco might be interested in getting in on a Disney UK TV project. But it might relate more to Modest. Certainly he won't get a solo record deal unless Disney are looking to back him somehow.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Not sure about Shaheen. Syco might be interested in getting in on a Disney UK TV project. But it might relate more to Modest. Certainly he won't get a solo record deal unless Disney are looking to back him somehow.

The uncertainty for me about him is not whether he'll get a solo record deal but who he'll get it with and when. He was 12 before the audition in february so he probably has about 15 months before his voice breaks, so ideally the best time to get him would be after the BGT tour has finished which is probably the earliest they can do it anyway. His best bet is to do it with Simon, he's good at getting it out quick whilst the iron's hot and if he waits - like Faryl did (there was probably a clause in her contract with BGT saying she couldn't sign for anyone else before a certain time) and wasn't as good. I can see some sort of joint syco/disney thing going on with him to be honest, he can certainly act but he probably shouldn't commit to any singing stuff until after his voice breaks, well, at least other than short term stuff. It'll probably be fine and he'll be able to sing as well after it breaks (often is with well-trained singers) but you can't guarantee it - he can act then anyway if he likes but it will probably also coincide with a period when he needs to concentrate on his school work, and not being in a stage school FT his school won't necessarily make the concessions. I'm not sure about him singing musicals, he can sing, and he can act, but he seems to not be able to do both together - surprisingly, this is a big problem and not easy to solve.

If he does record he needs better song choices though - Yeah, he made fame on BGT singing those two songs (the MJ one and the semi piece) and they should be there, but neither of them really suit his compass (because he has to shout more the lower the songs) or a boy of 12 (especially the song he sung in the semi final) which is probably the over-riding reason why he didn't win, because the voice is talented.

Regarding the others, I can see Susan signing, doing a few recitals and a CD of show songs then making enough money to just go back to doing what she normally does, having had a career. Cowell can't do much with dancers but Aidan seems to be more versatile than that, so he'll probably sign him (he can play guitar, so he's musical, so cowell will probably get him a voice coach). He can wait with Shaun a bit, he's not quite ready yet but (like Andrew Muir last year) he has the hallmarks of a good voice when it's ironed out. As for Hollie... well, she isn't ready yet but when she's about 15 she probably will be, and she'll probably end up on xfactor or something. Julian's signed already but I can't see him having a long career, maybe a CD of famous tunes played on the sax or something? Can't think of many of the others being good enough or marketable from Simon's perspective.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would imagine they all sign something from the moment they walk through the door to audition - probably a release, as well as a confidentiality agreement as well.

maybe it's a similar situation to big brother - maybe the finalists are assigned agents to explore any potential commercial possibilities after the show ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i would imagine they all sign something from the moment they walk through the door to audition - probably a release, as well as a confidentiality agreement as well.

maybe it's a similar situation to big brother - maybe the finalists are assigned agents to explore any potential commercial possibilities after the show ?

I would imagine Cowell has some sort of first refusal on all of them, as well as them having to keep quiet on things - a lot of them have proverbial skeletons about their past which the show has kept quiet as well, yet in some cases they have been honest in the media about it. I guess act choice controversies are a problem... people only seem to mention that now when they are free from the show - Good Evans and Ben and Becky have probably already been given their NFI so are free from it. Apparently Aidan wanted to repeat his audition in the final but was told he had to come up with a new routine by BGT (not that it would have helped him much, but he was performing back to back days due to BGT).

I would imagine it would be tighter this year after Faryl Smith took Cowell for a ride (well, her parents did anyway) by turning down Syco and signing for Universal... I would imagine Shaheen might have difficulty signing for Disney as mooted unless they negotiate something concurrent with Cowell (e.g. Cowell has rights over his singing, or some joint ownership deal) - if they want to make him into some teenage pop star thing then they might have one big problem with that (it's pretty obvious) so that probably isn't the best move for him anyway.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    I would imagine Cowell has some sort of first refusal on all of them, as well as them having to keep quiet on things - a lot of them have proverbial skeletons about their past which the show has kept quiet as well, yet in some cases they have been honest in the media about it. I guess act choice controversies are a problem... people only seem to mention that now when they are free from the show - Good Evans and Ben and Becky have probably already been given their NFI so are free from it. Apparently Aidan wanted to repeat his audition in the final but was told he had to come up with a new routine by BGT (not that it would have helped him much, but he was performing back to back days due to BGT).

I would imagine it would be tighter this year after Faryl Smith took Cowell for a ride (well, her parents did anyway) by turning down Syco and signing for Universal... I would imagine Shaheen might have difficulty signing for Disney as mooted unless they negotiate something concurrent with Cowell (e.g. Cowell has rights over his singing, or some joint ownership deal) - if they want to make him into some teenage pop star thing then they might have one big problem with that (it's pretty obvious) so that probably isn't the best move for him anyway.

The reality is you get lots of hype with this programe. The only one likely to get sined is Diversity. The rest were not up to much.

Sure lots of people on here will rave about them but few will buy their music or go to their shows.

Last year we had some real talent with Faryl & Escala.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »

The reality is you get lots of hype with this programe. The only one likely to get sined is Diversity. The rest were not up to much.

Sure lots of people on here will rave about them but few will buy their music or go to their shows.

The rumours that Faryl refused to sign up with Simon are incorrect . Simon decided he did not want to sign her. That may have been because he felt their would be a conflict as he had signed Escala. I have no doubt Simon got some kind of cut from Universal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »

The rumours that Faryl refused to sign up with Simon are incorrect . Simon decided he did not want to sign her. That may have been because he felt their would be a conflict as he had signed Escala. I have no doubt Simon got some kind of cut from Universal.

I doubt it, read the Faryl threads on here, her parents said there was a lot in the syco contracts they didn't like, and they said no, and took her to a label who they thought would look after her interests better. These are direct quotes so we can presume they're relatively accurate.

As for the level of talent we can presume that some of them will be signed up for record deals but Cowell does little with dancers (George?). Diversity don't seem to be what he looks for unless he's going to do something like a DVD of dance moves which would get somewhat tiring after a few minutes with the same lot. He tends to go more for singers and musicians because that is what he knows best and he can make CDs out of them - he signed Escala (who he knew anyway), Andrew Johnston (a better talent than Faryl) and Andrew Muir and wanted Faryl (as above) - signed George and didn't get much done, and that song was pretty awful...
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the answer to the OP initial question is that no-one HAS to sign with Simon. If he wants to sign them up he will offer a contract, but the contestants can always refuse if they so wish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »

Faryl definitely turned down Simon Cowell. Any suggestion that he did not want to sign her is rubbish. If you watch some of her interviews on YT, particularly the Alan Titchmarsh show interview and the Loose Women one also she states unequivically that she turned him down. Hence all of her BGT TV show videos were pulled by Simon on the grounds of breach of copyright. Every other performer's videos were left on YT. Also he treated her very shabbily when she appeared on the third semi of 2009 as a guest. He did not applaud her performance, and when Faryl thanked the show and the judges for giving her the chance of embarking on a career. Piers and Amanda faced her and smiled, Simon did not look at her and sat stoney faced. Faryl and Escala were the gold he wanted to mine. He got Escala, Andrew Johnston and George Sampson. Andrew and George put a few pennies in his pocket. Now Escala are his only profitable signing from that show.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what he would do with Diversity. Many ideas have been floated on here, some by myself in terms of endorsements and TV shows. The general idea seems to be that they need to try and build some kind of brand. In this particular case, Simon Fuller would probably be ideal. Many of his schemes haven't worked out, so it's no guarantee but when he gets it right you get... well, the Spice Girls! Branding has been central to everything that he does.

Last year, Simon went overboard, IMO. That he was even contemplating trying to sign Faryl Smith when figures like £2.3m are involved is pretty peculiar. Andrew Johnston was a one off album, but it didn't sell particularly well. Escala and Faryl Smith likely won't exceed 150,000 sales which is the kind of number that got Leon Jackson and Same Difference dropped. Something similar happened on XF4 where he signed the top 3. But last year, he only signed the winner. The days of the G4/Journey South cash in albums would appear to be gone.

He'll sign Susan because that's an unprecedented situation. I don't think he would release a solo Shaheen album just now. But if Disney were partners and they looked to build some kind of Hannah Montana-esque franchise, then he might want to be involved. I just can't see a stand alone Shaheen album selling very much at all.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    At first I thought the original post said "Diversity has approached Cowell with regards to Shaheen" - I was thinking just concentrate on your own careers :p
    I can see Shaheen as a Disney kid actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last year, Simon went overboard, IMO. That he was even contemplating trying to sign Faryl Smith when figures like £2.3m are involved is pretty peculiar.
    Faryl has a great technique but you really need a lot more than that. She will learn it, but I still don't think (judging by her on the FA Cup final and BGT this month) she's improved much for a year. She will though. I don't think she would have been much different if Simon had signed her. Does he have much experience managing classical singers, it's massively different to pop singers?
    Andrew Johnston was a one off album, but it didn't sell particularly well.
    It was always going to be one off, it was a matter of months between BGT and his voice breaking (you could tell, listening to it). Trouble is they always seem to niche these choristers into crossover because people tend to buy it, but it doesn't really suit their voice because it is a lot different from what they sing in choirs.
    Escala and Faryl Smith likely won't exceed 150,000 sales which is the kind of number that got Leon Jackson and Same Difference dropped.
    Thats a lot for some music but not pop. I think UCJ will treat Faryl as classical which if she sells that will probably see her retained, and she still has mega potential.
    Something similar happened on XF4 where he signed the top 3. But last year, he only signed the winner. The days of the G4/Journey South cash in albums would appear to be gone.
    Or he only thought the winner was good enough. Eoghan was far from the finished article, his voice probably only broke a year or 2 before going on and adult male singers normally only settle after their teens.
    He'll sign Susan because that's an unprecedented situation.
    I don't think he would release a solo Shaheen album just now. But if Disney were partners and they looked to build some kind of Hannah Montana-esque franchise, then he might want to be involved. I just can't see a stand alone Shaheen album selling very much at all.
    I don't think you can really trust BGT votes when they use FPTP. Him not coming 3rd was probably down to the song choices, people not liking the fact he was there (and other reasons) which aren't relevant to his album and simply they might have liked other acts more.

Again though, they will have to move reasonably quickly with Shaheen, as he is 12 years old and most voices drop around 14, if not slightly earlier. Unless he has a growth spurt he probably has about 15-18 months before it breaks, I would imagine.
    -Jade" wrote: »
    At first I thought the original post said "Diversity has approached Cowell with regards to Shaheen" - I was thinking just concentrate on your own careers :p
    They're doing it to keep them into something aren't they. They happen to be good, but they're all studying... that kind of environment would be good for Aidan (distance barring) if he were to join them, as has been mooted. I do think young kids that age need a role model a few years older to look up to.
    -Jade" wrote: »
    I can see Shaheen as a Disney kid actually.

Next time you go to disney and see a small, square donald duck costume talking in a Welsh accent and singing MJ...