Options

Help - PC problem or virus?

Desktop computer starts up, black screen with data runs, black screen with Windows XP logo and green progress bar runs then when it would normally go to the blue welcome/login screen I get this message message box on a black screen:-

"lsass.exe - Unable to locate component

This application failed to start because WLDAP32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

If I click the "ok" in the box or the red x it goes and am left with a totally black screen.

If it is a virus I am frightened to do anything which may make matters worse:confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    There can be a number of causes and not necessarily a virus.

Can you boot into Safe Mode and use System Restore to roll back a couple of days?

Do you have an XP CD, as you may need to boot from it to access the recovery console?

There are some general suggestions here. You may be able to get away with just needing to copy the WLDAP32.dll file back into the C:\windows\system32 folder. There may be a copy of it in the C:\windows\system32\dllcache folder which you can use.

And if the XP loading bar is green instead of blue, it means you're running XP with Service Pack 1 or less. You really should be on SP3 now, so if you do manage to get it working again, you should update ASAP.

Plus, a Malwarebytes and AV scan should be run as a matter of course.
  • Options
    RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply.
    And if the XP loading bar is green instead of blue, it means you're running XP with Service Pack 1 or less. You really should be on SP3 now, so if you do manage to get it working again, you should update ASAP.

Sorry, the loading bar is blue, was thinking of the wrong loading bar. I think I am on SP3 as the PC had SP2 when we got it and have always had automatic updates.
    Can you boot into Safe Mode and use System Restore to roll back a couple of days?

Tried that and get the same black screen with message as before.
    You may be able to get away with just needing to copy the WLDAP32.dll file back into the C:\windows\system32 folder. There may be a copy of it in the C:\windows\system32\dllcache folder which you can use.

Not sure how to do that when I can't get past the black screen but will investigate that link you posted and see if I can find something to help. My computer knowledge is quite basic so thanks for your advice!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still struggling with this!

Went through several attempts to sort the problem but was still unable to get beyond the black screen so tried re-booting from the original Windows XP CD, still no success and it wouldn't let me into the recovery system. I tried a re-install of Windows and thought it worked okay. It took me back to XP service pack one so I started to work on the updates to get it back to SP3. It seemed to update okay and looked like it was back to normal when I opened it up this morning. Went to install the last of the updates and while it was checking the system I got a blue screen with a stop error. It said somehting about "memory management" and "file dump". Before I had the chance to read and take in all the info it was showing the machine shut down. When it opened up again it won't allow me to login to windows and keeps asking for a password. I have tried what I thought the password was but it keeps telling me that it doesn't match the user name/domain and I am still locked out. If I leave the password blank and click okay it goes to the desktop backround screen with no icons at all. Just the picture and cursor?

Help:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did you reinstall Windows? Was it a clean install (all your files and programs were gone afterwards) or a repair install? If the latter, try the clean install instead. But if you have any important files not already backed up, you'll need to find a way to copy them first.

What's the make and model of the machine? You may have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive which will allow you to restore everything to factory settings instead of using the XP disk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "How did you reinstall Windows? Was it a clean install (all your files and programs were gone afterwards) or a repair install? If the latter, try the clean install instead. But if you have any important files not already backed up, you'll need to find a way to copy them first."

It must have been a repair install as when it was finished everything seemed to be there as normal, I didn't have to log in or anything, my normal welcome page was there with my name, all the desktop icons were there and checked my email in the morning with no problems. It seems to be back to SP2 level looking at the info on the black screen. It seemed to be okay until I tried to update with SP3, that's when the latest password login problem started.
    "What's the make and model of the machine?"

It's not "big brand" machine as I got it from a local computer shop (Sept 2004) but here are some details of the build, these may help.

Processor - AMD Athlon 3000XP
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA7N400 PRO2
    Memory - 512 DDR400
    Hard Drive - 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB

The system was backed up a month ago so would only loose stuff from the past month BUT my son has been working on several job applications and was hoping not to have to wipe the system as these are not on the backup drive.

The computer went to a repair shop about 18 months ago and they wiped the whole system and reinstalled windows then with the original disc. Could they have set the password that I can't seem to get past? As I recall the machine was ready to use and I just had to reinstall all the programs we wanted to use.

Thanks again for your advice and I hope my ramblings make sense!:)
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this error with a pc once and the solution was weird. Turned out to be a bios issue with the internal temperature of the machine.
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also something in bios worth checking, I think it is called apci or ahci. If it's on turn it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Further news on the problem!

When I switched on the PC this morning once the bios data on the black screen was loaded up it switched to a light blue Windows XP screen with white text performing a DSKCHK. I have seen this before but this time it was different. It started to show details of hundreds of files very quickly scrolling down them all until it said the usual stuff. The scrolling text said something about "sorting errors in index $130 for files *****"(with loads of numbers of files.) It also said a similar thing about "orphan files". It completed this disc check and then returned to the black screen with windowsxp dialogue box asking for the password. I still can't log in to windows and keep trying lots of passwords that I normally use but still nothing.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any other advice I could try?

• Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you could start by copying the files you need off of the computer as that would free you up to do a clean install. Get hold of a linux live cd (e.g. here) and boot it up (the default option is to load the operating system without making any changes to your hard disk). You can then copy any files you wish to keep onto an external drive or memory stick .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, time for a clean install of Windows. Here's a good guide explaining how to use a live CD to backup your files.

Once Windows is installed, you'll need to install all the necessary drivers and whatever additional software you use. XP will also need to be fully updated and AV software installed. It can be a long job if you're unfamiliar with it.
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check for memory faults with MEMTEST86, download it and write it to a bootable CD or USB drive. Memory faults can cause all sorts of boot-up problems, files that appear to be missing stc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for all your advice, looks like I am going to have a busy weekend trying to sort this out!

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have done done the clean install of windows and the computer is opening up okay. I didn't bother with the live CD to save any files I wanted to keep as I already had a full back-up on an external drive which was done just 1 month ago. My son said he didn't mind loosing anything from after that point. I now have a totally blank desktop with only the recycle bin icon. I have no internet connection back on yet, should I install other programs and drivers first before trying to reconnect which I will have to do to update from SP1 to SP3? Also, should I restore the files from the back up last?

Thanks in advance once again:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone?

• Options
    Forum Member
    If you have the driver disks, install them first.

Ensure the Windows Firewall is on, connect to the internet, download, install and update your AV.

Install all XP updates. You can leave Automatic Updates do it all for you, but it might take a few hours.

Once XP is fully up-to-date, start putting your software/hardware back on. Install them one at a time instead of all together, so if anything goes wrong, you can figure out what caused it.

Insert the disk/USB drive with your data on and run a virus scan on it. Once complete, copy all your data back.

You can run a program like Recuva to try and recover your old data, but this should be done right at the start before installing any other software.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few highly recommended programs by regular users of this forum, and free, to give you protection from most things.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials/

courtesy of this site... http://filehippo.com/
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    A few highly recommended programs by regular users of this forum, and free, to give you protection from most things.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials/

courtesy of this site... http://filehippo.com/

A greater collection of useful applications recommended by DS forum users can be found here: http://abcde.co.uk/links/index.php (Page now updated for WebKit driven browsers)
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    A greater collection of useful applications recommended by DS forum users can be found here: http://abcde.co.uk/links/index.php

oops, sorry annie, keep forgetting about your site :o, you should ask mods to put a flash advert up for it :D:eek:
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    oops, sorry annie, keep forgetting about your site :o,

I'll let you off this time, don't do it again :);) :cool:
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I'll let you off this time, don't do it again :);) :cool:

Naughty, getting on the wrong side of Annie.
    Hope you can swim when you fall through that ice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    If you have the driver disks, install them first.

Ensure the Windows Firewall is on, connect to the internet, download, install and update your AV.

Install all XP updates. You can leave Automatic Updates do it all for you, but it might take a few hours.

Once XP is fully up-to-date, start putting your software/hardware back on. Install them one at a time instead of all together, so if anything goes wrong, you can figure out what caused it.

Insert the disk/USB drive with your data on and run a virus scan on it. Once complete, copy all your data back.

You can run a program like Recuva to try and recover your old data, but this should be done right at the start before installing any other software.

Thnks so much for that, it will take me a while but hopefully I will get it sorted! Now all I have to do is find the correct driver discs in a big bundle!!

Cheers :)