'The Nativity' BBC One (1 - 4 of 4 programmes) 20 December 2010

Comments

• Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that Mary's father looked as he has wandered over from the shooting of Life of Brian? :)

and what about her mother! She came across like a cartoon character!! :(
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just another re-hash of this story that won't go away.

If they did this with any other work of fiction it would be a joke.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Mashel82 wrote: »
    I found it ok, but adding the parts such as Mary is 16, when actually she was only 12, it seems the bible is being re-written, also when joseph tries to kiss mary, where in the bible is that?
    I find it quite offensive that it is being changed in that way, apart from that the acting is ok.
    Even if people have quarms claiming, well you can not make her 12 these days, the fact is , she was and biblical history should not be changed!

Maybe you should try reading the Bible? It doesn't say that she was 12
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it ok, but adding the parts such as Mary is 16, when actually she was only 12, it seems the bible is being re-written, also when joseph tries to kiss mary, where in the bible is that?
    I find it quite offensive that it is being changed in that way, apart from that the acting is ok.
    Even if people have quarms claiming, well you can not make her 12 these days, the fact is , she was and biblical history should not be changed!

How do you know she was 12?

That is not stated anywhere as far as I know.:confused:
  • Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez peeps - enjoy it for what it is - a telling of the Nativity... and as such I found it easy early evening watching...

Merry Christmas to one an all.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps it would be better if you did not watch it then? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    He looked unwashed which was a bit disconcerting! But I was rather dreading seeing a gleaming blond looking like a school nat play version so on the whole I could forgive him that!

I know, that's why I said I might change my mind about him. I probably wouldn't have liked the blond alternative either.

I suppose i was expecting something more.....ethereal.

Where does it say she was 12? Genuine question btw.

How do you know Joseph didn't kiss her?

What, you mean like "A Christmas Carol"?
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they said Mary was 16 in an attempt to explain that she was of legal marrying age (according to today's society). Probably she was in reality much younger, but we cannot be sure. I found the attempt to give background and humanity to the story interesting and worthwhile. I liked how they are trying to make Mary and Joseph figures of integrity who would have led normal lives, if it were not for the fact that they were chosen to be the Messiah's parents. Jewish girls were brought up with the idea that they might be the chosen one, but it is hard for Mary and Joseph to deal with the reality of their situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyoe see Lynda and Carol moaning about this on Loose Women. I think it's could that Joseph is angry and thinks Mary cheated on him. It's a normal reaction. Mary doesn't have parents in the bible nor the magi names. There are also no speech for any of the people. Unless it's someone reading the bible with pictures then they would have to make up stuff. Lynda wouldn't moan if she had been asked to be in it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary's parents and the Magi have no names in the bible if you make a drama you have to have people say things so you have to add in things. I'd still of liked to see them use middle eastern looking actors though
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first episode, the variety, the story telling of different people's lives.

And I liked the review of 'The Nativity' in the Telegraph, particularly
    " ... I want people who have no particular faith, who don’t watch the God Channels, to watch this nativity. And if they have faith, to reinforce it. And if they haven’t, to make them think, ‘Wow, I don’t know, maybe… ’”

As in...

‘Wow, I don’t know, maybe….....it is a good story but as real as anything written by The Brothers Grimm....."

Whilst there is a general consensus that such a person did exist around that time, there is no contemporary documentation of his life, everything written about his life was done so after his death, in many cases a very long time after his death.

It is also worth remembering there are also texts from much older religions than Christianity which tell a remarkably similar story to this one......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Here's a link for a more up-to-date telling of the nativity story. Suitable for the facebook generation. :rolleyes:

http://www.ignitermedia.com/mini-movies/1905/A-Social-Network-Christmas
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    Where have I seen Andrew Buchan before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garrow's Law. I'd love to know what people like Lynda Bellingham would like them to do when filming the story. If she had been hired I bet she'd have loved the extras lines. She's to old to play mary the only person she could play is Elizabeth as she's named in the bible. Would they give her no lines as none are in the bible ?
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this, so calming and gentle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed that episode:) I did cry at the end though:o
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this, so calming and gentle.

Oh me too! Leaves me waiting in anticipation for the next episode.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Did anyoe see Lynda and Carol moaning about this on Loose Women. I think it's could that Joseph is angry and thinks Mary cheated on him. It's a normal reaction. Mary doesn't have parents in the bible nor the magi names. There are also no speech for any of the people. Unless it's someone reading the bible with pictures then they would have to make up stuff. Lynda wouldn't moan if she had been asked to be in it

I am surprised that Lynda and Carol have never even considered, or chose to ignore, artistic licence. Every period drama employs it. Rome, a series set about 44 years before the events of The Nativity also relied on the writers imagination in order to tell the story of the rise and fall of Julius Caesar. To complain that the Nativity contains dialogue not found in the bible is a completely pointless act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »

He played in BBC “Jane Eyre” as St John Rivers
    he played a Clergyman I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Pleasant little program... Back to the "fun" of East Enders. :o

I guess Carol could be (someone filled with) the holy spirit. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As in...

It is also worth remembering there are also texts from much older religions than Christianity which tell a remarkably similar story to this one......

Are they? Please will you tell me what they are, as I am very interested in the subject. :)

I liked the second episode. Poor Joseph, I felt for him.

As there are 2 Nativity threads, could they not be merged?
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed the first ep, but caught tonight's and was suitably impressed. It was very emotional when Mary was talking with Elizabeth. As a Christian I love watching these kinds of adaptations just if anything to visualise just what the people went through at the time.

I loved how they made Gabriel like Richard Alpert of the Middle East.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Herod wasn't one person there was more than one King Herod . I love how everyone uses the same names or magi and Mary's parent that arent mentioned in the bible
    There was onlt one Herod the great and Mary must have had parents

The Bible does not mention the age of Mary.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    He was also in Party Animals, BBC2
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very difficult situation for Mary and for Joseph.

I look forward to tomorrow's episode.