Could riots happen again?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    No, for most that was just the excuse they used

A rather good excuse when they've got no other criminal work on that day.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many of the people rioting last time does anyone think really gave a stuff about Mark Duggan? I imagine many of them didn't even know who he was. They just relished in the idea to cause trouble, smash things up, burn them down and loot them.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Riots in the depth of a cold winter night? I don't think so.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gathering seems to be on Saturday at Tottenham nick, and that can only be to incite trouble.

There will be a big police presence anyway as there is a match on at 3.00p.m. Don't envy them trying to steer the fans past as they make their way to the stadium. I will probably stay in and just keep an eye on the news.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,597
    Forum Member
    If anything did happen i can't see it being on the scale of the summer riots. As many have said here, the crackdown afterwards should be enough to stop anyone thinking they can get away with it again.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a big police presence anyway as there is a match on at 3.00p.m. Don't envy them trying to steer the fans past as they make their way to the stadium. I will probably stay in and just keep an eye on the news.

Compounded by the fact that the Spuds are playing Pulace, nearly a local derby.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Compounded by the fact that the Spuds are playing Pulace, nearly a local derby.

I'm sure at least some of the organisers of this "vigil" are aware of that, and have picked that time to cause maximum hardship.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    How many of the people rioting last time does anyone think really gave a stuff about Mark Duggan? I imagine many of them didn't even know who he was. They just relished in the idea to cause trouble, smash things up, burn them down and loot them.

Couldn't help thinking the same thing. My closest experience was the Chapeltown Riots in Leeds in the early 1980s and it was terrifying. I went to school right in the heart of the area and seeing the devastation from the school bus every morning was scary enough, not to mention fears that things could kick off and we would be trapped in the school. From where I lived, we could hear some of the chaos even though it didn't spread quite up our hill.

The terrible thing about those post-Duggan riots was that it was ordinary people and businesses who suffered the most and, while it was happening, many were trapped and terrified. This did nothing to stick it to the establishment. The 'eighties riots at least had some focus, connected with institutional racism and treatment of ethnic minorities. These latest ones were just a looting spree, a free-for-all and, much as I am no fan of Duggan's, it's not fair to blame his family for what ensued. The shooting was just a spark in a much bigger tinderbox.

I do think that many of the people in authority have behaved disgracefully without any retribution (i.e. bankers, politicians and in business). Because these seem impenetrable, I can understand how people hit out at the nearest available enterprises that they could but they hurt, terrified and stole from their own communities and two wrongs don't make a right. For that reason, I hope it doesn't flare again.

As others have pointed out, it's hopefully the 'wrong' time of year, really, for that kind of business so it's best to just let the family persist in pursuing 'justice'under their own steam 'til they get the result they want with as little public fuss as possible. The more attention they get, the more they'll feel justified in trying to vindicate Duggan from any kind of responsibility for his own undoing.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    What plan have you got in mind? (Serious question).

As someone who was terrified in the last one, by fires being set everwhere etc, I would welcome any sensible advice if it were to happen again.

the building i'm in the people are quicker to blockade one of the exits. they usually do it for notting hill carnival as well and they post extra security at the entrance

i also have super soakers to spray any riff raff from above :kitty:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    the building i'm in the people are quicker to blockade one of the exits. they usually do it for notting hill carnival as well and they post extra security at the entrance

i also have super soakers to spray any riff raff from above :kitty:
    Thanks.

I suppose I'm lucky in that my block is well off of any road, but it's still scary to think that any group of yobbos can just decide to bust in anywhere, when it's happening all over.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think so as the soft touch approach the authorities took in 2011 didn't work at all. They certainly won't try that again!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    I dont think so as the soft touch approach the authorities took in 2011 didn't work at all. They certainly won't try that again!
    It was beyond ridiculous.

The whole country was screaming out for water cannon, and day after day it dragged on, with those (idiots) in power hoping it would fizzle out on its own.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate violence but sometimes violence is the only way to solve a problem.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Anyone who would riot over this is a moron... just like the moron with a gun who was shot by the police.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there are riots do the police have the manpower now to do anything ? Doubt if they can call the army in as they've been cut to the bone ?

There are enough angry people about to use the Duggan case to use it as an excuse as well as plenty more opportunistic to use the situation as well as the dark evenings to help themselves.

There may well be a major law and order problem and I don't think the government has the resources now to do anything.
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I do hope so, but next time pointed towards where the banks and parliament are situated. People are fed up and want to see these leeches in parliament being hung from the streetlights.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    If there are riots do the police have the manpower now to do anything ? Doubt if they can call the army in as they've been cut to the bone ?

just a couple of hundred professional soldiers would have made short work of those louts in 2011 :D
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disturbed wrote: »
    I do hope so, but next time pointed towards where the banks and parliament are situated. People are fed up and want to see these leeches in parliament being hung from the streetlights.

..Speak for yourself and the rest of the unwashed liberal spineless drones, I don't want to be a part of your crap.