European Health Card (E111)

Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
Forum Member
I'm going away on the second September. I've only just realised my cards have expired (some time ago) - I thought they were open ended.

I will be applying online but doubt that the cards will be through. I'm assuming I'll still be covered.

I honestly didn't realise they had an expiry date, Does anyone know?

Comments

• RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT:

From the NHS website
    If you made your application over the phone or online, you are covered for travel from the date you made your application.
    If you travel and do not have your card with you and treatment becomes medically necessary during your visit, you may be issued with a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) to prove your entitlement to the EHIC. This will be sent directly to the place of treatment.

So you are covered :)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Assuming you have travel insurance then it's not such a big deal. Every time i've needed treatment abroad it's been a private facility so they wouldn't accept them anyway.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Assuming you have travel insurance then it's not such a big deal. Every time i've needed treatment abroad it's been a private facility so they wouldn't accept them anyway.

Yes, exactly. You'll invariably have to go private if you need treatment abroad. We don't bother with the cards at all.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They come through really quickly ... Ours were less than a week this year when we renewed them. These are FREE. Just watch out because there are some dodgy sites where they try to charge the uninformed.;-)

I agree about the travel insurance by the way. Take both and then you've done all you can.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. You'll invariably have to go private if you need treatment abroad. We don't bother with the cards at all.

Thats not true at all . I used my card in Europe and availed of a local public clinic . I was well treated and sorted . And most insurance wont cover pre existing conditions or slap a huge extra fee on for it . If my daughter travels to EU countries she always has a EU. Card for her pre existing condition
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most travel insurance policies state that in the event of requiring medical attention in a country where we have reciprocal healthcare agreements (i.e. where a EHIC is of use), in the first instance you use the same health service that is available to the locals. For this, an EHIC (E111 replacement) is required.

Friends went to Spain. She was ill and required medical treatment. As she did not have an EHIC card, the Spanish equivalent of the NHS would not touch her - she had to go private. This cost just over £11,000. Her insurers refused to payout anything as her treatment was available non-privately and as she did not have an EHIC card, it was her problem.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic but why do we actually need this as a separate card? Couldn't it be provided on a passport or all be computerised?
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but why do we actually need this as a separate card? Couldn't it be provided on a passport ...

Yes, it could but the EHIC is an EU-wide scheme and, in the main, EU residents don't need to carry passports in order to travel within the area, so a wallet-friendly card is a sensible option.
    ...or all be computerised?

It is computerised of course but presentation of a card indicating eligibility eliminates the need for the healthcare provider to check, with all of the data-protection issues which this might present.

N.B. Passports details are computerised too but UK residents are still expected to carry them when travelling abroad. Biometric passports increase security significantly but permitting immigration officers around the world to directly access UK Passport Office data would be fraught with potential complications.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic but why do we actually need this as a separate card? Couldn't it be provided on a passport or all be computerised?

You're assuming every UK resident entitled to NHS treatment has a UK passport when travelling abroad.

That's not the case.

I think it's also the case that not everyone with a UK passport (ex-pats for example) is entitled to free NHS healthcare.
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Thats not true at all . I used my card in Europe and availed of a local public clinic . I was well treated and sorted . And most insurance wont cover pre existing conditions or slap a huge extra fee on for it . If my daughter travels to EU countries she always has a EU. Card for her pre existing condition

Fair enough. We don't have any pre-existing conditions and we would prefer to pay for private care anyway, so we'll still not bother.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. We don't have any pre-existing conditions and we would prefer to pay for private care anyway, so we'll still not bother.

Be careful your private care does not insist you use a EHC first and foremost . Some of them ask you to use it if you are entitled to free health care
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Not always possible though. Try getting treatment on a Greek island and you will find it a hell of a lot easier to go private.
    Forum Member
    Be careful your private care does not insist you use a EHC first and foremost . Some of them ask you to use it if you are entitled to free health care

Good to know - thanks! I think we need to look into this a bit more...
  • hedsashedhedsashed Posts: 2,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They come through really quickly ... Ours were less than a week this year when we renewed them. These are FREE. Just watch out because there are some dodgy sites where they try to charge the uninformed.;-)

I agree about the travel insurance by the way. Take both and then you've done all you can.

This is true, I applied online on a Monday evening and it was in my letterbox Friday , I was quite surprised myself with the speed of it.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not always possible though. Try getting treatment on a Greek island and you will find it a hell of a lot easier to go private.

It is indeed not always possible, however in this case the insurer will almost certainly require you do go down the EHIC route/local treatment route first, then give you permission to go private when it is clear such treatment is not readily available.

My daughter got an infected nappy rash many years back. Contacted our insurer who told us to take her to the local medical centre, where they could do nothing much. Insurer then arranged for us to go private with a pediatrician who was able to sort the problem quickly, and the insurance picked up the bill (only about £70). When claiming, the form clearly stated that private medical expenses would not be paid unless we had sought local medical assistance first via the EHIC route.
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea is to ask for the public healthcare when the emergency services attend, silly as it sounds.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the responses.

Sorry I sort of hit and run there.

I have applied to renew online - they say it could be seven to ten days - hopefully it'll arrive before we leave - if all else fails I have my pld card and they should be able to track from that.

Hopefully we won't need to use it - never have before but - better safe than sorry.
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many travel insurance policies have a clause in the small print that you must have a valid EHIC, so if you don't have one your policy is null and void.

This is so that they can reclaim a portion of their costs from the EHIC system if you are unfortunate enough to require private medical treatment while travelling.