Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess with the hiatus of club football and the transition between managers this is a good opportunity for general reflection.

In my lifetime Liverpool has had ten managers (if you count KD twice and don't count Moran's short care-taker period):

Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Souness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgeson, Dalglish, Rodgers.

Here's how I would rate them. This is purely a personal opinion and not based on any quantitative assessment of trophies, wins etc...

1. Paisley
    2. Dalglish (first era)
    3. Fagan
    4. Benitez
    5. Houllier
    6. Evans
    7. Rodgers
    8. Dalglish (2nd era)
    9. Souness
    10. Hodgeson

As bad as it has been over the last season and a quarter Rodgers will always have a place in my heart for the 2012/13 rollercoaster and simply for that he rates above Souness.

If Klopp can emulate the two other 'foreign' managers on my list I'll be content. I'm not sure anyone will rival the top 3 in my lifetime.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Is there only me who doesn't give two shits about all this FIFA news.

Better the devil you know, I say.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Klopp thread on RAWK is absolutely mental. Love it.

I've just had it sat in a tab, occasionally going back to it to refresh it. Probably the best thread I've ever seen on there.
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega Excited :D:D:D:D
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I guess with the hiatus of club football and the transition between managers this is a good opportunity for general reflection.

In my lifetime Liverpool has had ten managers (if you count KD twice and don't count Moran's short care-taker period):

Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Souness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgeson, Dalglish, Rodgers.

Here's how I would rate them. This is purely a personal opinion and not based on any quantitative assessment of trophies, wins etc...

1. Paisley
    2. Dalglish (first era)
    3. Fagan
    4. Benitez
    5. Houllier
    6. Evans
    7. Rodgers
    8. Dalglish (2nd era)
    9. Souness
    10. Hodgeson

As bad as it has been over the last season and a quarter Rodgers will always have a place in my heart for the 2012/13 rollercoaster and simply for that he rates above Souness.

If Klopp can emulate the two other 'foreign' managers on my list I'll be content. I'm not sure anyone will rival the top 3 in my lifetime.

Why Rodgers over Kenny's 2nd time? he won the league cup and made the fa cup final in his first season, Rodgers did nothing in my eyes, but a big thanks from Suarez.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Why Rodgers over Kenny's 2nd time? he won the league cup and made the fa cup final in his first season, Rodgers did nothing in my eyes, but a big thanks from Suarez.

The same Suárez that didn't get Dalglish to 2nd. If Brendan is at fault for the failures that happened in his time then he should also get some praise for the good things that happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    The same Suárez that didn't get Dalglish to 2nd. If Brendan is at fault for the failures that happened in his time then he should also get some praise for the good things that happened.

Maybe if Kenny got more time that he deserved he could have had that success with Suarez who was likely finding his way in the team, and he bought him..

I never believed it was he who made Suarez work the way he did, he hit a jackpot tactic with some great service from Stevie and Sterling to help and winged it, and it covered up our horrible defence which was as bad then as it is now.

Sorry I just don't rate him and never should have got him, I wish him well seemed a nice guy really though, alhtough came across smug at times :)
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    So he pretty much had nothing to do with the good that happened but everything to do with all the failures? Good things = Suárez and luck, bad things = Brendan Rodgers

I'm not saying he would've worked out in the end or anything but it's unfair to not give him any credit for any positives while allowing him to take the blame for all the failures.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if Kenny got more time that he deserved he could have had that success with Suarez who was likely finding his way in the team, and he bought him..

I never believed it was he who made Suarez work the way he did, he hit a jackpot tactic with some great service from Stevie and Sterling to help and winged it, and it covered up our horrible defence which was as bad then as it is now.

Sorry I just don't rate him and never should have got him, I wish him well seemed a nice guy really though, alhtough came across smug at times :)

We were going nowhere under dalglish. The football wasn't great and the club became a PR nightmare. I would take a hell of a ride finishing 2nd and genuinely being in a title race than a poor boring league campaign and winning the carling cup all day.

ironically 2013/2014 was the most entertaining Liverpool side since Dalglish's 87/88 side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are discussing chants for Klopp at the official forums what do think for him? :)

Kloppin all over the world is a good one I noticed.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are discussing chants for Klopp at the official forums what do think for him? :)

I saw a scouse, where?
    Right there on the wing.
    Where on the wing?
    A little scouse with boots on
    Well I declare!
    Going clip-clippety-Kloop on the wing

to a windmill in old Amsterdam -well I tried:blush:
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all the rumours it is official

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/195412-liverpool-fc-confirm-jrgen-klopp-appointment

Welcome to Anfield Jurgen. :D
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

yeah i mean its not like BR put hours in on the training pitch, finding the right system to get the best out of sturridge, sterling, sturridge and gerrard. Guess he just picked it out of thin air and hoped for the best.

training was players just having kick about sessions. no tactics, no working on the shape etc etc. BR just hoped for the best and got lucky.

kenny had plenty of time but couldnt create a system or style of play that scored goals. but hey because its kenny, he isnt to blame here.

rodgers had faults but 2013/14 he deserves major credit. if kenny did that, you would be literally creaming in your pants!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, so it wasn't Big Sam!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Klopp is official now :D

And what about this one haha
    1 2 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock Klopp
    5 6 7 o'clock, 8 o'clock Klopp
    9 10 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock Klopp
    We're gonna Klopp around the Kop tonight!
  • Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to LFC Mr Klopp.

Please make us successful again!!:)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, so it wasn't Big Sam!

Thanks for your insightful contribution to the Liverpool Supporters thread. We can always rely on you for quality input...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giggs for Unitd next please.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd liked this one:
    I think it's got to be to the tune of Hickory Dickory Dock
    I like it;

We turned to Jurgen Klopp,
    When Brendan got the chop.
    And now we're sound,
    the Mancs are down
    And Jose's for the drop!

Glad its confirmed now, always fear something will go wrong until its confirmed. welcome to Liverpool Klopp! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if I missed it, but there's been a few coaching/scouting changes.

Glen Driscoll, Sean O'Driscoll, Chris Davies have left the club, and Gary Mac has moved to an ambassador role.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giggs for Unitd next please.

That jobs guardiola's if his prepared to wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed the ridiculous transfer committee has been retained. Disappointed by that.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper love this tweet by New Balance. Just a tracky top and a red cap. :D

https://twitter.com/NBFootball/status/652211591539257345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should watch the short video of Klopp holding a pen ready to sign, even that will make you smile and he doesn't even say anything :)
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Just noticed the ridiculous transfer committee has been retained. Disappointed by that.

FSG seem to like this transfer committee model.
This discussion has been closed.