The Curse Of Steptoe - Wed. 19/3/08 BBC 4

RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
Forum Member
I am looking forward to this!:)

Wednesday 19 March 2008, 9pm, BBC Four

Steptoe and Son remains a landmark in the history of British television. The series gave birth to the modern sitcom and transformed its actors - Harry H Corbett and Wilfrid Brambell - into national treasures.

Starring Jason Isaacs (The State Within) as Harry H Corbett and Phil Davis (Five Days) as Wilfrid Brambell, The Curse of Steptoe uncovers an unexpected and incredible tale of life imitating art.

The sitcom told the story of two rag-and-bone men trapped together for all eternity. But out of the public eye an even stranger story was playing out, of two men yoked together unable to escape their inner complexities or each other.

How their personal problems helped the show achieve success is one of the most revealing stories from the annals of BBC light entertainment history.

Based on interviews with colleagues, friends and family of Harry and Wilfrid, and Steptoe writers, Ray Galton and Alan Simpson, The Curse Of Steptoe explores the incredible story of life behind the scenes.

:)

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxysiren wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this!:)

Wednesday 19 March 2008, 9pm, BBC Four

Steptoe and Son remains a landmark in the history of British television. The series gave birth to the modern sitcom and transformed its actors - Harry H Corbett and Wilfrid Brambell - into national treasures.

Starring Jason Isaacs (The State Within) as Harry H Corbett and Phil Davis (Five Days) as Wilfrid Brambell, The Curse of Steptoe uncovers an unexpected and incredible tale of life imitating art.

The sitcom told the story of two rag-and-bone men trapped together for all eternity. But out of the public eye an even stranger story was playing out, of two men yoked together unable to escape their inner complexities or each other.

How their personal problems helped the show achieve success is one of the most revealing stories from the annals of BBC light entertainment history.

Based on interviews with colleagues, friends and family of Harry and Wilfrid, and Steptoe writers, Ray Galton and Alan Simpson, The Curse Of Steptoe explores the incredible story of life behind the scenes.

Looks like the above is straight from the BBC press office
  • shadforthshadforth Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it too. I recognized Phil Davis(great actor) as Steptoe in one of the sunday mag previews,but didn't recognize Jason Isaacs at all as Harold until they said he was playing him! I've been a fan of Jason's for years since Dangerous Lady,and he's been excellent as Michael Caffey in U.S series Brotherhood recently,plus the docu-drama Scars. It'll be interesting to see if the two actors can imitate Steptoe And Son,tho' offscreen they were obviously totally different. So in a way both Davis&Isaacs are playing two separate characters!:)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very interested in the behind-the-scenes story surrounding these two so this could prove to be well worth watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this too, loved Steptoe & Son as a child and pretty much anything that Phil Davis is in is worth watching.
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

Is that not allowed?:confused:

• 2LO2LO Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I don't think there was any intention to hide that fact.

It's a perfectly sensible thing to do to highlight a programme and promote a discussion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry H Corbett started out as a serious actor, part of the Method school of acting who acted at Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop in Statford East - he was felt to have a huge potential to become a great actor and only took the part of Steptoe as a one off, not realising how it would change his life and his career.

This short series of plays on BBC4 about comedy icons - the others are about Frankie Howerd with David Walliams (he was surely born to play that role), Hughie Green with Trevor Eve and Tony Hancock with Ken Stott - looks very interesting.
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this tonight, hope its good. I'm looking forward to the whole series as I'm a big fan of comedy from this era, especially anything by Galton and Simpson. Ken Stott as Hancock should be good next week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good so far...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We sorely need another duo like Galton and Simpson.

HHC's wife was a bit of a nag.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying this so far - especially with the delicious Jason Issacs playing Harry H Corbett.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »
    This short series of plays on BBC4 about comedy icons - the others are about Frankie Howerd with David Walliams (he was surely born to play that role), Hughie Green with Trevor Eve and Tony Hancock with Ken Stott - looks very interesting.
    I agree with your bit in brackets.
    The casting for Hughie Green and Tony Hancock is inspired, too.

But for the absolute identical twinnery of casting, if they ever do one for Bob Monkhouse, Trevor Eve is surely the only man for the job.
    (He's not actually his son. Is he? :o )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really enjoyed this. felt it ended a bit premature. didnt they make a couple of films? also wanted to know how they died. from what i recall from my dad the younger one died first?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was absolutely fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The casting was spot on. However, I found the whole thing more low key than I expected. Very entertaining, but probably appeals to old viewers.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Don't forget 'The Offer' which is on right now, and is the original play that started the Steptoe series off.

'The Curse Of Steptoe' is also repeated at 00.05 for anyone that couldn't see it first time round (like me!)

Both are on BBC4.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    HHC's wife was a bit of a nag.

I was more interested in HHC's controlling nature and attempts to scupper her career and deride her achievements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    is there a part two, they didnt show what happened to them ie there deaths leading up to etc, final years
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly no part 2. Essentially the Australian tour was the end. Brambell was an alcoholic. Both died in the 80s.
  • acertreeacertree Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHC's wife at the time was Sheila Steafel. She was (and still is) a wonderful comedy actress.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheila Steafel
    Yes, she seemed very serious in tonight's documentary but you always sensed she was a funny woman in RL. And certainly more assertive than portrayed here.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    acertree wrote: »
    HHC's wife at the time was Sheila Steafel. She was (and still is) a wonderful comedy actress.

Oh really, didn't know that, well 'the Nag' obviously had talent, provides a bit more background as to why he behaved the way he did.
    Allowing for artistic license and all that.

I keep meaning to start a where are they now type thread and her name is always top of the list in my head.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Phil Davis - what an amazing actor this man is!

I remember him as a young man in teenage things with the likes of Ray Winstone and Phil Daniels.

He has proved to be increasingly brilliant in everything he's ever been in.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Phil Davies bits are a bit repetitive. Liking Jason Isaacs though. Never really seen him before. I know someone who is a big fan and now I can see why.

Funny wathcing the guys playing Galton and Simpson on the back of the Mark Lawson interview.

I always hated Steptoe and Son - dunno what I'm doing watching this at this time of night!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it again and I unreservedly retract my comment about "the nag". Sheila is indeed a great actress and has a long list of roles.

Didn't realize their daughter is Susanaha Corbett (Elle in Dalziel and Pascoe).