Rihanna - R8 (Album Thread)

Comments

• jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or does Rihanna seem awfully quiet at the moment considering we're in the midst of an album campaign? She's been spotted heading to the recording studio again recently. Makes me wonder if she's reworking the album which seems to be missing a full on smash hit single. American Oxygen has flopped. I do think people are losing patience now with no sign of a release date or even a name for the album.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to BBHMM and American Oxygen over the weekend. Absolutely hate BBHMM. HATE IT. It's awful. One of the worst songs she has ever recorded. But, American Oxygen, I absolutely love. The negative comments in here about it confuse me. I think it's brilliant. I really like the video too.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Rihanna seem awfully quiet at the moment considering we're in the midst of an album campaign? She's been spotted heading to the recording studio again recently. Makes me wonder if she's reworking the album which seems to be missing a full on smash hit single. American Oxygen has flopped. I do think people are losing patience now with no sign of a release date or even a name for the album.

The name is R8 (hence the thread title) and Rihanna has confirmed it herself. There has just been no official press release from her label to say that is the title. So it could change but that is the title fans, articles and Rihanna are calling it.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Im not surprised she's back in the studio. Material has been dire so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The name is R8 (hence the thread title) and Rihanna has confirmed it herself. There has just been no official press release from her label to say that is the title. So it could change but that is the title fans, articles and Rihanna are calling it.

That's not true. Her last album was referred to with the hashtag #R7 before it was named Unapologetic. She keeps referring to songs from her "8th studio album" rather than R8. It may well be called R8 as that seems to have stuck but it's rather unimaginative if that's the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I listened to BBHMM and American Oxygen over the weekend. Absolutely hate BBHMM. HATE IT. It's awful. One of the worst songs she has ever recorded. But, American Oxygen, I absolutely love. The negative comments in here about it confuse me. I think it's brilliant. I really like the video too.

Interestingly BBHMM was Track of the Day on Radio 1 today. I thought they'd given up on it. I really like BBHMM and the only problem I have with American Oxygen is that it's too long and repetitive.

Also interestingly I was looking back at a thread on here when 'We Found Love' came out. The first few pages were universally negative about the song and it turned into a smash. Maybe DS is just a bit negative :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not true. Her last album was referred to with the hashtag #R7 before it was named Unapologetic. She keeps referring to songs from her "8th studio album" rather than R8. It may well be called R8 as that seems to have stuck but it's rather unimaginative if that's the case.

Um, it is true. If it wasn't, why has she never corrected interviewers who have asked about "R8" to her. I did say i wasn't entirely sure if that was the official title, but at the moment, it seems to be a title. So me and you are neither correct or wrong.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find it weird as well that BBHMM was premiered ages ago and still no album name or release date. To be honest, im not remotely interested in her new album, I just quite fancy going to see her again on her next tour
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R8 pronounced R Eight or 'Rate'?
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R8 pronounced R Eight or 'Rate'?

Oh yeah! lol that's a good point :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna has said BBHMM music video is coming "any day now". Apparently 'American Oxygen' was due to be sent to radio stations in the UK but this was cancelled. Also 'Towards the Sun' was cancelled as a single release because she didn't want the Home soundtrack to interfere with her album campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no meaningful news unfortunately but Rihanna is taking part in a Dior campaign which uses a snippet of "Only if for a Night" which will appear on R8 and samples the Florence song:

https://soundcloud.com/bcfenty/a-night-intro-rihanna
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another month and still no news. November release looking increasingly likely. Frustrating as I thought the album campaign was well under way but she's just gone silent. Also looks like she was telling porkies about the BBHMM video. Almost like she's enjoying trolling us all.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,988
    Forum Member
    Still no meaningful news unfortunately but Rihanna is taking part in a Dior campaign which uses a snippet of "Only if for a Night" which will appear on R8 and samples the Florence song:

https://soundcloud.com/bcfenty/a-night-intro-rihanna

Not a fan of that at all.

"Only If For A Night" is one of my favourite Florence tracks. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Not a fan of that at all.

"Only If For A Night" is one of my favourite Florence tracks. :(

I quite like it. It's a great hook. Florence has spoken about it and apparently loves it but it's difficult to judge until we hear the whole thing. I think that may be the intro to the song and there will be some Rihanna vocals added. Or it could just be an interlude/intro to the album..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another month and still no news. November release looking increasingly likely. Frustrating as I thought the album campaign was well under way but she's just gone silent. Also looks like she was telling porkies about the BBHMM video. Almost like she's enjoying trolling us all.

I don't think she is

It's not up to Rihanna when her material is released. That is the control of her label.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she is

It's not up to Rihanna when her material is released. That is the control of her label.

I know that but I'd say it's unlikely that the BBHMM video was due to come out within days and then suddenly delayed/cancelled by her label. More likely is that the video was never coming out and she was sick of being asked about it so she just said it was coming soon to shut them up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *ALERT**

The campaign is on!!!

Rihanna*‏@rihanna
    #BBHMMVideo #Thursday ON @Vevo
  • eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna has said BBHMM music video is coming "any day now". Apparently 'American Oxygen' was due to be sent to radio stations in the UK but this was cancelled. Also 'Towards the Sun' was cancelled as a single release because she didn't want the Home soundtrack to interfere with her album campaign.

That's a shame coz that's the best song she's had in a very long time, could have done well for her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's coming guys :D. Rihanna has announced that her long awaited 8th studio album will be titled ANTI and has unveiled the album cover.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a672573/rihanna-reveals-cover-art-for-new-album-anti-on-instagram.html#~pqvrHVhTOOpXgB

The theme being that sometimes "the ones who have sight are the blindest".

Anti
    A person opposed to a particular policy, activity or idea

https://instagram.com/p/8kCWwChM9G/

Once again Rihanna delivers something no one would have expected. She's anything but predictable :p.

Discuss the album here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album is now called Anti

I have asked the mods to change the thread title so we can carry on this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we take my post with it then? I thought a new thread now that we have concrete info would be better rather than one that is months old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we take my post with it then? I thought a new thread now that we have concrete info would be better rather than one that is months old.

Agreed. Ask the mods to merge.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Very excited about this.

You can tell the direction she is going in though. The artwork alone speaks volumes. It has Kanye West written all over it. Popjustice said it best in my opinion "Something tells us this isn’t going to be ‘Loud part 2’."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Very excited about this.

You can tell the direction she is going in though. The artwork alone speaks volumes. It has Kanye West written all over it. Popjustice said it best in my opinion "Something tells us this isn’t going to be ‘Loud part 2’."

And why would anyone want it to be? For me Unapologetic was her most creative and cohesive album since Rated R despite many disagreeing. I'm genuinely interested in what she's come up with after such a long break. And yes the Kanye influence is obvious.