Forum Member
    cmorris wrote: »
    Does this apply to SKY + customers?
    Not as far as I know.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I don't think that worries them in the slightest!

Not on the offer I had! I DID ask if they REALLY wanted the Thomson (or could I just keep it) and my installer was adament!

I have just upgraded to a new box no mention of having to have sky broadband to take up the offer well happy but have to wait 3 weeks for Installation
  • ab48ukab48uk Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like many others, after the transmission changes my Thomson no longer receives the BBC HD channels.

Sky said they would swop it for a new box, which they did yesterday. But the installer seemed happy to let me keep my old Thomson (with the PSU repair).

So there's certainly no harm in asking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Yes I can also confirm that whatever the T&C says they seem happy to upgrade with no broadand present. They confirmed this on the phone.

My Thompson needed the optical for sound (i.e. did not send sound via hdmi) - is this still the case with the new boxes or can it now all be done thru hdmi?
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justinhow wrote: »
    Yes I can also confirm that whatever the T&C says they seem happy to upgrade with no broadand present. They confirmed this on the phone.

My Thompson needed the optical for sound (i.e. did not send sound via hdmi) - is this still the case with the new boxes or can it now all be done thru hdmi?

Only the DRX595, IIRC, can send audio via HDMI, this box is the non-PVR HD box :(

ALL Sky+HD boxes have Optical/Coax for 5.1 audio output.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Just been reading on Replacing SkyHD Thomson box to a Free one
    Went to the Customer Offers page:

http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/customer-offers/

Seems like Thomson owners (myself) can get a Replacement box for Free ....
    IF you add 12 months of HD pack (but get 3 months Free)

My Thomson box is slowly packing up so very tempted to take advantage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Got my letter Monday Morning. Excepted the offer online and also was allowed to update the bedroom Sky+ unit on for the wife ot HD as well with 3 months free HD. She now has no excuses to use my HD unit in the living room. There both being fitted Monday morning
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My shiny new box arrives on Monday !
  • penfold52penfold52 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Just phoned up and Sky and are swopping my thompson box free for a more up to date model.
    thanks digitalforums...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the letter, entered the details online, picked an appointment, got an email saying you need to contact us urgently on this number, we may cancel your appointment if not.

Been trying it all day and even now at 22:40 it answers with "Sorry due to the high volume of calls all of our operators are busy, please try again later"
  • craigEcraigE Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Does anyone on here know if a new 12 month contract has to be entered in to?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigE wrote: »
    Does anyone on here know if a new 12 month contract has to be entered in to?

There's nothing on the letter about it, there was nothing when I ordered online, however i've seen forum posts from some people that say there was, some that say there wasn't. I'd be surprised if not tho
  • DavidHoldenDavidHolden Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Question.
    In the terms and conditions I read in the thread above, it appeared that this offer is restricted to areas served by sky broadband (LLU).

Anyone here successfully got a new box even though there is no sky/easynet presence at their local telephone exchange?
  • lettucelettuce Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Got the letter, entered the details online, picked an appointment, got an email saying you need to contact us urgently on this number, we may cancel your appointment if not.

Been trying it all day and even now at 22:40 it answers with "Sorry due to the high volume of calls all of our operators are busy, please try again later"

Had the same thing , after 30 mins i got through this morning it appears to have been an issue with my original booking date so had to take a later one. No mention of taking Sky broadband though and no change to my current contract ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Just ordered a free replacement box. Cost was £0 no need to take Sky HD (I cancelled quite a while ago). They went through all the legal stuff (must connect to a phone line for 12 months etc.) not an issue for me because I'll be doing that anyway.
    Only problem was they couldn't give me an installation date and asked that I call again tomorrow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, been a while!

Just wondered if anyone had successfully kept their old Thompson box?

I have Sky+ in another room that I'd love to convert to HD just for the free to air channels (if possible) so keeping my old box to put in that room would be ideal.

Probably best to speak to Sky but thought I'd check here first!

ta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    what happens to stuff on your sky planner? can it be transferred over to the new box?
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is very interesting indeed. I too have got the letter, and despite happily owning a very stable and reliable modified Thomson (Satcure PSU & Samsung 1TB HDD). I am tempted.

Why? Well to be honest I find myself watching less and less pay TV. 95% of my viewing is FTA stuff. In 2007 when I bought my Thommo, if you wanted HD, there was no option other than Sky.

Before the box swapper arrives, I would remove the PSU, Fans, & Tuners from my old Trusty Thomson and sell those on eBay. So as the box is not too light I will re-install the original 300GB HDD. I can tell the installer "I am glad you came, it died this morning". Likewise, I could sell on my new Amstrad as I won't be tied into a new 12 month contract and put the money toward a Grade A Foxsat HDR from Humax direct. When that is delivered the next day I will put the Samsung 1TB HDD in it. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Will I miss Sky after 17 years? A bit, but now Lost & 24 have ended I don't watch it enough to really justify the subscription. The things I will miss the most are the Remote Record App, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Ice Road Truckers, but the latter is on Chan 5 after a few months anyway and there are ahem, other ways of watching American shows. So that leaves £400.00 a year to set my box by telephone, nah I don't think so. Thank-you Sky for making it cheaper for me to dump your service.
  • anoretaanoreta Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I've got one coming on a Self-Install - so I keep the old box but it's knackered anyway.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anoreta wrote: »
    I've got one coming on a Self-Install - so I keep the old box but it's knackered anyway.
    Self - Install with no new contract?

If so, this gets better. Two boxes to sell to fund my Foxsat HDR.

Incidentally, repair the Power Supply Unit in your Thomson and it will almost certainly be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    hmm, I wonder if the couriers are instructed to collect as well as deliver? Be interesting to see how it goes.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    kittyg wrote: »
    Hi guys, been a while!

Just wondered if anyone had successfully kept their old Thompson box?

I have Sky+ in another room that I'd love to convert to HD just for the free to air channels (if possible) so keeping my old box to put in that room would be ideal.

Probably best to speak to Sky but thought I'd check here first!

ta
    I kept mine.
    I made it clear when they rang me with the offer that I wasn't willing to let them take it, especially as I'd paid out to upgrade the PSU and HDD.
    They didn't think there would be a problem, and when the installer came he didn't even suggest taking it away.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I kept mine.
    I made it clear when they rang me with the offer that I wasn't willing to let them take it, especially as I'd paid out to upgrade the PSU and HDD.
    They didn't think there would be a problem, and when the installer came he didn't even suggest taking it away.
    You were lucky! That should not have happened and they should have declined the swap. I, of course, put the old HDD back in before the old one got taken.
  • penfold52penfold52 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Masteriser wrote: »
    Self - Install with no new contract?

If so, this gets better. Two boxes to sell to fund my Foxsat HDR.

Incidentally, repair the Power Supply Unit in your Thomson and it will almost certainly be fine.

They are swopping mine on the 4th of July,I asked about a self install but it would have cost me £15 for delivery of the box.
    And I was told I can keep the thompson box as a spare.