Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I am naïve but at times I look at players and think they are made to be at LFC - and in Daniel Agger and Lucas Leiva we have two such players. They come over as genuinely loving the club and the type who if they had to battle to be in the team would battle - and certainly not stick in a transfer request or anything like that.

The thing is too both are very good players and I am happy for them to be there and want them both there for as long as poss.

I do like BRs team selection policies on the whole tho as if someone is playing well he sticks with them - Lucas knows that and in time he will get another chance and whats the betting that when he does he will take it and regain his regular place. Over the years he has been a very key player for us in an unsung sort of way and there is no way he will leave LFC imo.

I also like the way it seems moves are being made to make sure Glen stays - yes I know he was pretty dire last night but that does not make him a bad player and at 29 he has many years left - heck many players do not lose form till they are 34 or 35 (Vidic, Rio, even Distin ... etc) so to regard 29 as too old is to me ridiculous. I do hope FSG are not trying to get BR to get rid as he is too old and so should not have a high wage - such thinking to me is very pinch penny and ultimately very foolish as we need class players and Glen is a class player so within reason just give him what he wants so he stays.

Totally agree with you Alan. 100%.

With regards the debate over our defending, for me it's hit & miss, but no doubting the actual goal we conceeded to Sunderland from the corner was poor. I do feel we need to be better at basic set piece defending but overall I don't think it's a massive issue.

Previously any victory, 1-0, 2-1 would be briliant so it says a lot that these days we are disappointed with that, but realistically we'd all take 2-1 scrappy wins from here on in.

I really do feel we need a 100% win rate until the end of the season to win the PL though as I don't think City or Chelsea will drop many points sadly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Assa2;71936789]If he were cheap enough I'd think Cole would be a good addition into our CL squad, but I don't think he'll be cheap and I don't see how he fits into FSG's transfer policy.[/QUOTE]

I thought that about Joe at the time but sadly we all know how that turned out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    In my opinion you never rest your best players and especially not in this important time of the year. How many times do you see Messi or Ronaldo rested or even taken off during a game? It was one of the things I hated most about Benitez - that time he took Gerrard off against Everton when we a man up and drawing the game was absurd, I know Lucas won us the penalty and we ended up winning the match, but for me that was just a stupid stupid decision. Torres also could have scored more goals for us if he had played 90 mins on more occasions.

:D:D
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Can I just say - I am not blaming the defence. I am blaming the defending. That's why I'm mainly focusing on set pieces. The whole team have time to get in position, be where they need to be and anticipate the delivery.

They don't do that anywhere near the standard required and I hope (and believe) BR will be working on it.
  • Options
    TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised Kelly hasn't been given more chances under Rodgers
    Whenever he's played he's never let Liverpool down I think he's a better defender
    Than Johnson and Flanagan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26722022

There is an article on the above link that discusses "Who will win the title?". We appear to be third on all the options - no surprise there, but I do feel we have a good chance of getting 2nd myself. I am happy for us to sit under the radar and 'lurk with intent'. :p

I always take a look at the comments section at the bottom of any article, and was amazed to see that the BBC has allowed this article to be hijacked - they seldom if ever allow that! Take a look at what appears to be the hot topic of the day in the 'Highest Rated'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If arsenal beat man city tomorrow that will give players and fans added belief
    Liverpool can win this league COME ON ARSENAL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »
    If arsenal beat man city tomorrow that will give players and fans added belief
    Liverpool can win this league COME ON ARSENAL

The good news is that Arsenal need to fight for it now to make sure they stay ahead of Everton for 4th, so they won't be rolling over, and will really go for the points.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Can I just say - I am not blaming the defence. I am blaming the defending. That's why I'm mainly focusing on set pieces. The whole team have time to get in position, be where they need to be and anticipate the delivery.

They don't do that anywhere near the standard required and I hope (and believe) BR will be working on it.

Totally agree. It's not necessarily about the personnel, it's about what their doing. I have gone on record as saying I don't think one or two of our defenders are CL level and I stick by that, but one thing I'll give BR and the team credit for is that they are playing far better as a team than you would expect given their individual abilities (with one or two exceptions).

The thing is, while I'm sure BR knows it's an area of weakness I'm not sure it's an area he's hugely concerned with. His footballing philosophy is all about attack and it may well be that he thinks he can improve that area with additional players in the midfield and strikers for next season, and leave the defence largely as it is.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I would massively disagree with your views on resting Suarez, you very rarely see Suarez off form, the Sunderland game was simply one of them imo

I'd be worried if he were struggling at the 30 apps marker (so far) because with the likely hood of CL football next season he'll quite possibly be involved in closer to 50+ apps

Plus with literally on 7 games remaining (not many at all), and the fact the pressures are rising for the players being heavily involved in this Title race, you don't bench your fit and healthy best players, especially of Suarez's quality, to bench him at this stage when he's seemingly match fit would be the biggest mistake Rodgers would have made, you just don't do it lol

The Suarez in the last game was the Suarez from last season - far too selfish and wasteful. Yes I'm being hypercritical but at this point in the season I think we need to be. I'm not suggesting he needs 'a rest' in terms of his fitness, just that in some games where we need to be a bit more patient in the build up and not necessarily driving at goal every opportunity it might not be the worst idea in the world to have him on the bench and bring him on after 60 minutes to terrorise tired back 4's. He isn't going to play every game next season so we are going to have to get used to it. We didn't do badly at the start of the season without him. We are not a one man team anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    The Suarez in the last game was the Suarez from last season - far too selfish and wasteful. Yes I'm being hypercritical but at this point in the season I think we need to be. I'm not suggesting he needs 'a rest' in terms of his fitness, just that in some games where we need to be a bit more patient in the build up and not necessarily driving at goal every opportunity it might not be the worst idea in the world to have him on the bench and bring him on after 60 minutes to terrorise tired back 4's. He isn't going to play every game next season so we are going to have to get used to it. We didn't do badly at the start of the season without him. We are not a one man team anymore.

I think you might be right, but purely for the 'focus his mind' element. He maybe needs that to pull him back into the 'team' mentality. He will hate it though! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think Sundays game is a real banana skin for Liverpool,
    We have won seven games on the bounce but it's hard to keep the run going
    I believe Sunday's game will be influenced by the result tomorrow between arsenal and city

If arsenal beat man city or take points of them Liverpool will go into Sundays game flying
    And I would strongly fancy them to win, if however man city beat arsenal it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool Players lose a bit of belief that they can catch man city And end up slipping up and drawing against spurs.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »

True, I also agree we aren't a one man team, but Suarez has been a huge influence with his creative brilliance to helping get the team to where we currently are, after all, 39 of our goals this season has come from the aid of Suarez from him either scoring or assisting, and in these last 7 games we are going to need his contributions more than ever, and although we as a team have been superb this season, benching such an influential player isn't needed at this stage, with Suarez and Sturridge up front we have a better chance of winning any game

and having a little whippet like sterling to come on in the 60th/70th is just a sensational option
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Felt Rodgers should have brought Sterling on earlier than he did v Sunderland the game was crying out for him especially with Alonso on a yellow card
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do you guys think is different this season compared to last? You seem to be fitter and sharper than you've been for years.
    Gerrard is playing as good as he has ever played..Suarez seems to be realising how big a club liverpool are and behaving himself.

You're my choice to win the league.
    (Crawley Town fan)
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    So what do you guys think is different this season compared to last? You seem to be fitter and sharper than you've been for years.
    Gerrard is playing as good as he has ever played..Suarez seems to be realising how big a club liverpool are and behaving himself.

You're my choice to win the league.
    (Crawley Town fan)

Liverpools run of current form started in January 2013, so its not just this season.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I am prepared to admit Suarez on Wednesday was not as good as normal but that is only cos we have come to expect such high standards from him and I'd still contend that he was a source of danger whenever he had the ball - as he always is. The difference was that a lot of what he tried did not come off but his football brain is another level to almost any other player and to suggest we rest him at this stage of the season is absolute madness imo - if we are to win the PL (and yes I do harbour hopes that we might) then Luis Suarez simply has to be at the forefront of our efforts.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »
    I am surprised Kelly hasn't been given more chances under Rodgers
    Whenever he's played he's never let Liverpool down I think he's a better defender
    Than Johnson and Flanagan.
    I very much doubt that Kelly will make it here now. Too many injuries and now he is third choice right back. There's no way he is better than Johnson either
    leemuir wrote: »
    Felt Rodgers should have brought Sterling on earlier than he did v Sunderland the game was crying out for him especially with Alonso on a yellow card
    I think Sterling will start on Sunday which might be why he didn't come on earlier on Wednesday. Sterling destroyed Naughton at WHL and I'd expect him to do it again
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sherwood is trying to play mind games by claiming that the pressure of being title chasers is getting to us. :D
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    Sherwood is trying to play mind games by claiming that the pressure of being title chasers is getting to us. :D

Doesn't he know we're just an "average team"? :D

He was being largely complimentary to be fair. It's good that he's talking us up so much because that'll lower his players' belief that they can come to Anfield and win.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sterling will start on Sunday which might be why he didn't come on earlier on Wednesday. Sterling destroyed Naughton at WHL and I'd expect him to do it again

Who do you drop though? It'd be unfair for Coutinho to be dropped after his MOTM display on Wednesday, and I'd quite like Allen to start to combat the potential midfield trio of Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Who do you drop though? It'd be unfair for Coutinho to be dropped after his MOTM display on Wednesday, and I'd quite like Allen to start to combat the potential midfield trio of Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho.

I think you drop Coutinho, unfair as it is.

Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge against Spurs will destroy them. You then add in Henderson and Allen supporting with Gerrard pulling the strings and I think it;s the perfect balance.

It sucks for Coutinho as he was excellent the other night, but BR has shown he is picking the right team for each game and I think he'll get it right again.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »

Rodgers calmness is brilliant

the guys a real hit for me! keep at it boss :D
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

I'd probably drop Allen. Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling all started against Arsenal who also have a strong midfield.

Other than that it would have to be Coutinho. I just think this starting Sterling would be an advantage against a team like Spurs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would play sterling too Pace is everything in football nowadays,
    Interesting to hear Paul scholes say as a pundit this week That man united
    are nothing without pace....I would say the same about arsenal too since Walcott
    Got injured arsenal don't have that option up front and it's clearly cost them
This discussion has been closed.