Capaldi looks too old

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Seriously, very craggy and wrinkled. Jenna looks lovely.

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These threads look too old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    i think you'e too young to post on these boards... seriously juvenile
  • GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt you ever see the classic Dr Who? He is over 2000 years.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter capaldi is the oldest actor to play the doctor. 1 year older than william hartnell was in an unearthly child. He does look older than 56 though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter capaldi is the oldest actor to play the doctor. 1 year older than william hartnell was in an unearthly child. He does look older than 56 though.

(cough) John Hurt (cough)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful William Hartnell.. Marvellous Matt Smith. Who fecking cares about the age of the actor. (well, a few people, it seems.) If you've got it.....you've got it. I look forward to seeing if Peter C has.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oc course john hurt but he does not really count?
  • stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have conveniently forgotten Hartnell was the Doctor for 3 years, so Capaldi is actually two years younger than the oldest actor to play him. ;-)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Depends how old you are!

Doctor Who was always old when I was growing up. He was OK!

The new Doctor is MY age now! He looks younger than William Hartnell :p

It's all to do with relative perspective, and going with the neutron-flow - without reversing it!! Otherwise you clash with the Blinovitch-Limitation-Effect!!
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oc course john hurt but he does not really count?

Is that a question or a statement?

and although Hartnell was younger than Capaldi he was certainly made to look older.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    I think that as good as tennant and smith were, it feels refreshing to have an older more distinguished doctor. I think Capaldi has the look which excudes the authority the doctor should have.

I don't always agree with everything Moffat says, but think he is 100% right when he says it would have been boring to cast another good looking young guy with intreresting hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stafs wrote: »
    You have conveniently forgotten Hartnell was the Doctor for 3 years, so Capaldi is actually two years younger than the oldest actor to play him. ;-)

Using that logic hartnell, troughton, pertwee, tom baker, davison, colin baker, mccoy and if you must include him john hurt are all older actors to play the doctor than capaldi.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using that logic hartnell, troughton, pertwee, tom baker, davison, colin baker, mccoy and if you must include him john hurt are all older actors to play the doctor than capaldi.

Not if you go according to when they were the 'current' Doctor. (Hurt, for his part, never played the current Doctor.) I think that may be the idea. However, I would not join in the insinuation that you 'conveniently forgot' anything.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think is age is neither here nor there when it comes to his success as the Doctor. It'll be down to how well he engages and captures the audience. Eccleston, Tennant and Smith all managed this extremely well and justified their casting in the first episode. That was nothing to do with their relative youth though, they just portrayed a character the viewers liked.

He doesn't need a make over for his first episode just that moment where he inhabits the character a la Smith's confrontation with Prisoner Zero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree, doesn't look older than Hartnell, or Troughton, or Pertwee, and at the end of the day he is supposed to be pushing 1000+ years old
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Have to agree, doesn't look older than Hartnell, or Troughton, or Pertwee, and at the end of the day he is supposed to be pushing 1000+ years old

2000+ :blush:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chill out everyone, its only petertard
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone should hook up petertard with Ray_Smith - they'd have a lot to talk about. And perhaps they would bother us with their dopey posts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    SO!? When he provides you with the greatest series yet you'll be licking his golden crack (lol). Give up already.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Isn't he just! Nice pic :)
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look too old. Who cares? :)
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Someone should hook up petertard with Ray_Smith - they'd have a lot to talk about. And perhaps they would bother us with their dopey posts.

Sorry, this should have read -
    Someone should hook up petertard with Ray_Smith - they'd have a lot to talk about. And perhaps they would not bother us with their dopey posts
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

Assuming, off course, that they are not the same person! :D

Seriously, though, don't know what's gotten in to some people on this forum. When Capaldi was cast, I was very glad the Pre-judging that came from Matt Smith's casting was nowhere as bad for him.

However, as the new series approaches, these constant threads about his age seem to have become far more regular and tiresome.

I remember very well the flack Matt Smith got when I first joined this forum and I also remember one year later when a lot of those posters had egg on their faces because he did so well in the role.

So I have a feeling those people who are doing the same thing now with Capaldi, in one years time, will be wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. People really should give him a chance until they see him onscreen. (Assuming they haven't watched the leaked footage and spoiled it for themselves....)

I know I give Moffat a lot of stick for his Era but I think he done exactly the right thing in casting an older Doctor. It was right to do it now than further down the line, where following a procession of younger Doctors would have made it even more difficult.

All the older Classic Doctors were a success, I think Capaldi will be too.

:)