Java runtime 6 update 22 released

REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title Say's just thought I'd remind yous update 22 has been released .

If anyone has problem's updating ,tip, go to java update 22 homepage, and click on offline download, this is what i have to do every update rather than switch off user account control then reboot before i could install, then having to switch user account back on and rebooting again (vista).

I think it was only released on Tuesday 12th October.

Comments

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secunia rate this update as highly critical for users running Java 6 Update 21 or earlier.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I update, will it clear my annoying Java Update boxes (almost every day?)

Clicking OK (to install) returns 'You are already up to date' after a lot of installer type activity?

Tried disabling a couple of scheduler .exes but I may have picked the wrong ones.
    Haven't had the strength to sit for a couple of hours just hunting on Google and my PC to eliminate this pernicious villain.
  • Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clicking OK (to install) returns 'You are already up to date' after a lot of installer type activity?

Tried disabling a couple of scheduler .exes but I may have picked the wrong ones.
    Haven't had the strength to sit for a couple of hours just hunting on Google and my PC to eliminate this pernicious villain.

In XP I just go to 'start\control panel\' then click on the 'Java control panel' icon , then ''update'' tab and untick the box that says ''check for updates automatically''
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have multiple versions of Java listed in Control Panel Uninstall/Add/Remove Programs? Uninstall all of the them, restart and install the new one, always best to uninstall the old one first to avoid issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm W7, just checked again. Shedload of Java. Don't worry I will sort it.

Just wondered if you knew offhand.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    Secunia rate this update as highly critical for users running Java 6 Update 21 or earlier.

So that would be all Java users!?
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

open control panel click java ,click update option at top ,then click advance ,there you can click java to check for updates daily,weekly or monthly.

I suspect you have daily clicked ,monthly would be best, java updates are issued second Tuesday of the month, same as windows updates (updates are usually every 2-3 month).

this will sort updates appearing every day.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    So that would be all Java users!?

Not if you're on Windows 98 or Windows ME - you're stuck with Java 5 there and that is already at end of life.

In the world of current Windows systems, then the answer is a resounding YES.

However Java is a cross-platform package, ie is also available on Solaris, Mac and Linux : Update 22 may not be available on all update channels yet, but the security issues may apply to all platforms to some degree.

It is advisable to upgrade if you are a Java user and Java 6 Update 22 (or later) is available for your platform.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a small program called JavaRa that updates the JRE and removes previous versions. I tried it yesterday on my XPSP3 setup and it worked a treat. It's officially still in Beta and the latest version is 1.16.

It can be downloaded from Softpedia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Redbus. Just checked. It was on monthly (for the 17th of each month)

But it ran an hour ago. Mebbe I will just Revo it and start again.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Redbus. Just checked. It was on monthly (for the 17th of each month)

But it ran an hour ago. Maybe I will just Revo it and start again.

Maybe open up task scheduler via Administrator tool's ,you may find solution there.

If java has been scheduled to check every day at one point it may have not been changed in task scheduler,long shot but worth a try.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you update the 64 bit java?

I start here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Then I click on "Information about the 64-bit Java plug-in" which takes me here: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

Then I chose "For downloading 64-bit Java click 64-bit manual download"

But that link takes me back to the first page and I'm back at the beginning... :confused:

Edit: Ahh now I get it, it only works if you access it with IE 64bit...
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The program I mentioned at post #10 includes support for the 64bit version.

Create a restore point before you try it, just to be safe.