(Bro help) hdmi tv to Xp pc via hdmi/usb connectio (£30)

REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi ,need a bit of hepl for cousin who is struggling to connect HD tv as 2nd monitor ,i sent him a link for connection last night for connection to connect tv as monitor ,the type that plugs into tv via hdmi port and other bit same as what he plug into from his monitor same one in this pic

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3518869/3m-HDMI-Male-DVI-Male-Converter-Cable-HDTV-DVD-PC/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:3518869|prd:3518869

there is pc shop he's used few times on same road as he lives ,he took a pic of back of his tiny 5 year old tower and the guy said he's need HDMI tv connected with usb/TV connection ,fair enough paid £30 and got connection and disc with it ,installed disc and connected to tv ,switched to hdmi and just blue Screen ,he's been trying ALL day to get it connected so i thought id ask you guys as he's a bit forum phobic :D ,despite all the lies i told him about here:D ,now i just about cope with my pc and know the in's and out's ,but not so much my cousin ,with my pc (vista) i would just go to catalyst control center and click enable 2 ,monitor ,i was in his house earlier but no joy with monitor advance setting's ,he doesn't know what Graphics card he has and i wasn't able to locate any files relating to graphics ,i know a lot of people still use XP on here and would REALLY appreciate ANY help whatsoever ,is there any info you need that i can FB and post ,sorry for scatty details but xp is double dutch to me TBO ,only ever used the V word :eek:,that shall never be spoken here;)

ANY HELP would be VERY WELCOME ,thank you in advance, i'm sure we all know what its like when you just need that one little click and it's just doing your head right in ,he getting his broadband switched to sky next week and using unlimited data with 3 to connect and would be so grateful to get this sorted ,if no joy tonight he will ask guy in shop as he's sorted his pc before and is very helpfull ,just would be nice to get it done tonight ,all help appreciated folks

Comments

• REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might need reformat as his xp as never been re-formated in 5 years ,took loads of crap of last week ,and i mean a LOT
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    might need reformat as his xp as never been re-formated in 5 years ,took loads of crap of last week ,and i mean a LOT

lost xp disc but hes going to burn recovery disc as he still has security number on desktop
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume that his PC only had a VGA graphics connection, so this USB to HDMI box was the only solution?

Was it something like this that he was sold?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-USB3-HDMI-DVI-2048x1152-1920x1080-DisplayLink/dp/B007L6NYAO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353630791&sr=8-6

Never used one myself, but the reviews say it puts an icon into your system tray which you turn it on and off with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I assume that his PC only had a VGA graphics connection, so this USB to HDMI box was the only solution?

Was it something like this that he was sold?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-USB3-HDMI-DVI-2048x1152-1920x1080-DisplayLink/dp/B007L6NYAO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353630791&sr=8-6

Never used one myself, but the reviews say it puts an icon into your system tray which you turn it on and off with.

yeah looked very similar to this one ,icon wasn't doing anything and could not see any control panel for it ,windows did give error code but it was re-installed a few times ,will pass that on and give it a go ,cheers emptybox ,much appreciated mate.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can find out the make and model of the adapter and the details of the PC that would help.

Have you gone into Display Properties and checked if Windows is seeing the two monitors or not? ie right click the desktop then select Properties. Click the Settings tab. If Windows is seeing both monitors than they should show up in the graphic and you can click either to set their properties.

If it is seeing both monitors then it is possible the settings for the TV are on something the TV can't handle. Try starting off with the lowest resolution and a refresh rate of 50 or 60Hz. Then if you get an image on the TV up the resolution and see what happens. It might only like certain settings, possibly any with 768 or 1080 as the vertical resolution.

And any chance of borrowing the adapter to try out on your machine? Might help work out where the problem is. If the PC is really old it might have USB 1 ports which might not be 100% compatible with the adapter. Or the ports might be struggling to power the adapter. Or the port could just be faulty (I assume you've tried other USB ports to be sure?).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If you can find out the make and model of the adapter and the details of the PC that would help.

Have you gone into Display Properties and checked if Windows is seeing the two monitors or not? ie right click the desktop then select Properties. Click the Settings tab. If Windows is seeing both monitors than they should show up in the graphic and you can click either to set their properties.

If it is seeing both monitors then it is possible the settings for the TV are on something the TV can't handle. Try starting off with the lowest resolution and a refresh rate of 50 or 60Hz. Then if you get an image on the TV up the resolution and see what happens. It might only like certain settings, possibly any with 768 or 1080 as the vertical resolution.

And any chance of borrowing the adapter to try out on your machine? Might help work out where the problem is. If the PC is really old it might have USB 1 ports which might not be 100% compatible with the adapter. Or the ports might be struggling to power the adapter. Or the port could just be faulty (I assume you've tried other USB ports to be sure?).

yeah cheers tried that,no options in little monitor ie 1 or 2 ,it's 8-9 year old ,the guy in shop was nice enough and can get money back tomorrow mate,the SMSC core graphics UFX6000 usb did not have original box with some code for the website help section after registering .

he going away for weeks holiday Tuesday and will get new tower after xmas at sales.

Very much appreciate your input ,many thanks:) to all for help