Options

How do I get an Android phone to display own number

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I have got an HTC One and in Settings/About it displays the phone number as unknown. This was also true on the N4 I had before. How do I get this to work ?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like it's a problem with your sim rather than the phone(s).
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - the number is stored in the SIM.

Annoyingly most android phones cannot allow the number to be updated (without root)!

I had a number port so the SIM number is completely wrong, but some apps use it to preload "my number". slightly annoying. Find an old symbian phone to update I guess!
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Must be your sim. All my Android phones and my iphone always displayed my number
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    I have got an HTC One and in Settings/About it displays the phone number as unknown. This was also true on the N4 I had before. How do I get this to work ?

My number is displayed here, sounds like you have an issue somewhere.

You can enter your number manually in 'Phone book' under 'My Profile' if need be.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really needed to do it, but I have just checked on my S3 under SETTINGS > ABOUT DEVICE > STATUS and it shows MY PHONE NUMBER as UNKNOWN.

I'm on Vodafone and have only just recently had a new SIM (not sure if it worked before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just searched and I believe you can find it out on any phone by dialing *#100#
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I ported my number into Tesco mobile, my SIM & phone showed the temp number Tesco gave me rather than the ported in number. My ported number worked as expected and the old number was gone, except when viewing the propertie of the phone number in my Android phone.

While it wasn't a problem I did want to change it, I put it into a Blackberry which amongst its features was the ability to edit the phone number in a SIM. It doesn't actually change the phone number associated to the SIM, just the display number that the SIM shows when looking under phone properties. If that makes sense!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't normally be a problem to me (as generally I know my own number) but I am in Kenya ATM installing a computer network in a children's orphanage and making a lot of use of data. Currently I have 7 Sims all with an associated phone number. I know 7 sounds a bit OTT but it soon adds up when you have two network providers and three different size Sims
    Had no problems with my iPhone seeing the number
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I find it strange this is yet another problem with your Android phone(s) but your iphone works fine as always. This is an issue with the sim. Not the phone. If the Android phone won't see the number, it means its not on the sim period so the iphone cannot possibly see it either.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a problem with the sim and not the phone. i have just tried it with my HTC One mini and I went into the Settings, About and then phone Identity which then shows up the phone number.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dial *#100#
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a problem with the sim and not the phone. i have just tried it with my HTC One mini and I went into the Settings, About and then phone Identity which then shows up the phone number.

Could it be something to do with the network as I have just checked on my phone and also my works phone (both S3's on Vodafone) and they both don't show the phone number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just searched and I believe you can find it out on any phone by dialing *#100#
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Dial *#100#

I've only seen that work on Vodafone networks.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Could it be something to do with the network as I have just checked on my phone and also my works phone (both S3's on Vodafone) and they both don't show the phone number.

It could be the network don't set the number in the SIM - this usually doesn't matter, unless you're using an iPhone with iMessage.

The iPhone should let you set the SIM phone number, or there are apps on Google Play that can do the same. Can't recall at the moment, but I used one a year or more ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I find it strange this is yet another problem with your Android phone(s) but your iphone works fine as always. This is an issue with the sim. Not the phone. If the Android phone won't see the number, it means its not on the sim period so the iphone cannot possibly see it either.
    If you had been following my posts you would know that I do not always praise the iPhone. I have made the point recently that it is rubbish at tethering compared with Android, and as it happens I am typing this on my HTC because I like the Swype keyboard.
    I simply say it as I see it. The fact is I have a safaricom SIM in both phones at the moment, the iPhone reports the number, the HTC doesn't. It's not conclusive because I can't swap them as one is a nano and the other is a micro.