Forum design feedback

Comments

• _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Try ctrl&F5 when in a DS page as a start.

Nope, it refreshed the page but didn't cure anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    so when did it all change ? Not been on DS for abit
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    so when did it all change ? Not been on DS for abit

last friday i think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    Nope, it refreshed the page but didn't cure anything.

What browser are you on?
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    If you run Windows Mac or Linux, or iThings, try f.lux itself.

http://justgetflux.com/

This looks like a really good idea. My first reaction was nice idea but why not just change the colour temperature yourself, but after several minutes of trying on my Dell laptop I still haven't found out how to do it yet. OK, I'm laughing now, but there's no smiley for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    last friday i think

I feel like I've been on this thread since July
    Forum Member
    What browser are you on?

Chrome, but I also tried it on Firefox.
    Forum Member
    I feel like I've been on this thread since July

i've moved in, made it comfy with a sofa and some snacks.....:kitty:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clear your cache manually http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On Firefox use ctrl and + or - to change the screen (make sure zoom text only is not ticked in the menu bar View - Zoom first)

Then go to View - Zoom - Zoom text only and tick zoom text only and do the ctrl - and + thing again to change size of your text - keep the zoom text only ticked to keep it that way.

There are instructions on here somewhere for chrome
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    I think I have just twigged that this redesign with its manity shades of grey is only temporary and is to portray the spirit of season.

Have a PC Winterval guys. :p
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you when the zoom is 100%, but going up to 110% takes one keypress and it really does make DS much better. I'm using Chrome but I'm sure Firefox has the feature too.
    Should it not be a "uniform experience" rather than faff here, fiddle there, and dance round the old oak tree at exactly 3.55am when Jupiter is in Leo.
    Not knocking anyone, but homemade solutions seem to more available than than a few words of comfort from the DS admin.:)
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last friday i think

Monday night:o
    Forum Member
    Monday night:o

:o:o:o i've slipped into an eddy in the space/time continuum :o

(i'd be embarrassed too but :blush: reminds of old alcoholics that have gone all purple)
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o:o:o i've slipped into an eddy in the space/time continuum :o

(i'd be embarrassed too but :blush: reminds of old alcoholics that have gone all purple)

I did prefer the replacement pink blush smiley. This one looks like someone with that alcoholics nose that has spread. We shall see what tomorrow brings :D
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »

OK, I've done that but it didn't make any difference (I'm not sure why you thought it would)
    On Firefox use ctrl and + or - to change the screen (make sure zoom text only is not ticked in the menu bar View - Zoom first)

Then go to View - Zoom - Zoom text only and tick zoom text only and do the ctrl - and + thing again to change size of your text - keep the zoom text only ticked to keep it that way.

There are instructions on here somewhere for chrome

Hmmm, not sure how this helps either. The problem is that the right hand half of the page is coloured in dark blue so half the text is missing. Changing the text size doesn't really make this any better.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you have to love what logo and website designers are getting away with these todays, everything is really simple, and not that colourful.

I dont need pay someone £million for a new logo, that is just black text on a white background
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I've done that but it didn't make any difference (I'm not sure why you thought it would)

Hmmm, not sure how this helps either. The problem is that the right hand half of the page is coloured in dark blue so half the text is missing. Changing the text size doesn't really make this any better.

That's why I said you have to change the screen first then change the size of the text. Do you mean you can't see the end of sentences on the right of your screen?
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    you have to love what logo and website designers are getting away with these todays, everything is really simple, and not that colourful.

I dont need pay someone £million for a new logo, that is just black text on a white background

And a Dot! Don't forget the Dot!!! That could have taken someone an hour to think of!!!
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone want to go back to fixed width, this layout always annoyed me http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3161390.stm

ah the bbc website at its peak.

much better than the current bbc website.

I have also noticed digitalspy has far less traffic, I was involved in a few active threads when the design changed and the traffic on those threads went near dead overnight.

the 2 boxes at the top are now white with black text. Trust me

(a) old design was way better
    (b) dark backgrounds usually beat light backgrounds. especially when the white is excessive.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    balthasar wrote: »
    Should it not be a "uniform experience" rather than faff here, fiddle there, and dance round the old oak tree at exactly 3.55am when Jupiter is in Leo.
    Not knocking anyone, but homemade solutions seem to more available than than a few words of comfort from the DS admin.:)

This is an exception. I'm not advocating what you think I am. In general, for all things on a computer or phone screen, not just browsers, not just DS, it's a jolly good idea to change the colour temperature at night to reduce eye strain.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Chrysalis wrote: »

(a) old design was way better

Your use of bold for contrast looks awful on my properly setup monitor, and DS have improved text rendering since early this week. The cure is worse than the disease in this case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    And that's exactly why I had to laugh. And that is what undermines your assertion about design having supposedly moved from clunky to attractive. Hm... DS was very attractive, colourful yet restful and comfortable to look at and to use. Now it is clunky and hideous, pallid, yet hard to look at and to read etc. Designed by programmers or by real designers? Bring back the programmers with their lovely, clever vBulletin design.

yeah a time comes when things 'peak' changes get made however for the sake of change but those changes are regressions. Seeing it now in most software.

windows 8 looks aweful compared to win7/vista and even XP.
    most large websites which have regurlar updates looked better 3 years ago than they do today.
    digitalspy has now succumbed to this.
    sites such as cableforum which stick to traditional vbb style actually look far better and are far more functional.

the old digitalspy really was a nice looking forum, I remain gobsmacked on how this can be seen as a improvement.

even more baffling is why the decision makers who make these changes think its ok to remove choice of theme, why not keep the old site as an option.

Also the mobile version of this new design looks better on the desktop than the desktop version, I guess it has had more effort put into it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your use of bold for contrast looks awful on my properly setup monitor, and DS have improved text rendering since early this week. The cure is worse than the disease in this case.

not for me text still looks super skinny
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really???
    Well, I can't think of anything else to try!!
    It's clear with the various setups, browsers, monitors os that there are a lot of different ways people see the site (for instance I get a blue/black screensplash at work that appears for 0.25 second, but I don't get it at home) and it causes more issues for some than others.
This discussion has been closed.