Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this connection/activation nonsense still happening with 3 when the network has clearly stated that all users with 4G devices have access to 4G services where they are currently available?

It's a shocking pantomime really!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this connection/activation nonsense still happening with 3 when the network has clearly stated that all users with 4G devices have access to 4G services where they are currently available?

It's a shocking pantomime really!

Because people have sim free phones and 3 seem to have 4g / LTE disabled on their sim cards, unless the manufacturer sends out a firmware update.

Yeah I'm pretty fed up of waiting too.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people have sim free phones and 3 seem to have 4g / LTE disabled on their sim cards, unless the manufacturer sends out a firmware update.

Why can't 3 just update the SIMs so that this "LTE flag" is set, rather than relying on the phone manufacturers to bodge their firmware to ignore it?
  • the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to replace my S3 when I cracked it too many times and got a N5 - I rang 3 CS to find out if I needed to do anything to enable 4G and was told I would get a text message when it was available and that would give instructions.

I was in central Milton Keynes about 40 minutes later and noticed that the signal bar was showing 4G...

so even their customer services don't know how it works properly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Why can't 3 just update the SIMs so that this "LTE flag" is set, rather than relying on the phone manufacturers to bodge their firmware to ignore it?

I've no idea. You'd think they would.

A helpful person on here did explain (quite a few) pages back. But I can't totally remember the reason.
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funny some on here state this will free p capacity on Three's 3G yet now Three are going to ditch unlimited tethering.

This I assume is because they dont want people chewing up their 4G capacity within weeks of launch and they refusing to seperate 3G and 4G as packages meaning 3G users are effectively subsidising the 4G users.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    funny some on here state this will free p capacity on Three's 3G yet now Three are going to ditch unlimited tethering.

This I assume is because they dont want people chewing up their 4G capacity within weeks of launch and they refusing to seperate 3G and 4G as packages meaning 3G users are effectively subsidising the 4G users.

How can they be, we all pay the same price:confused: If you have a handset and pay Three for an upgrade for a suitable handset then you'll get 4G.
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    How can they be, we all pay the same price:confused: If you have a handset and pay Three for an upgrade for a suitable handset then you'll get 4G.

if you paying for a handset then it isnt free is it?

I dont want 4G I want fast highly available 3G to work with my existing handsets.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    they refusing to seperate 3G and 4G as packages meaning 3G users are effectively subsidising the 4G users.

Good point. But then again same goes for unlimited data. Light users pay the same as heavy users, thereby subsidizing the heavy users that cost more to provide for.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Good point. But then again same goes for unlimited data. Light users pay the same as heavy users, thereby subsidizing the heavy users that cost more to provide for.
    Probably why a network of 9.5 million customers is starting to feel the pinch of congestion compared to networks with 20+ million customers.

Paying extra for the new stuff isn't "rip off" or "abnormal" its a way to reduce the load until the infrastructure is proven - and those paying for it as early adopters are likely to be more sympathetic to occasional outages ("its new isn't it") than something 10+ years old that should be robust. (But is actually suffering M25 syndrome).
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4G nice until 3PM, now its back to 3G speeds with a 4G symbol at the top of my phone LOL
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    4G nice until 3PM, now its back to 3G speeds with a 4G symbol at the top of my phone LOL

That's a shame, was hoping the 4G was handle speed better.. maybe too many tethering individuals!
  • SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I got 40/17 at 4pm in Liverpool (though this was by far the best result I'd had, a few minutes before it was 8/14)
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi

I have a sim free iPhone 5, Ive had the update since December 2013. I was able to use 4G when I was in Luton/London last month.

Baz
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday I had the chance to check 4G in Newcastle city centre and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by the 4G coverage! According to the coverage checker the city centre is mostly covered and quite a bit of indoor and outdoor coverage too. In the end I managed to get about 30 seconds of 4G. In the image you can see the Three coverage map and then the route I was going in Google Maps.

http://i61.tinypic.com/xfvoqu.jpg
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep defo 4G in Peterborough City Centre just now.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Yesterday I had the chance to check 4G in Newcastle city centre and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by the 4G coverage! According to the coverage checker the city centre is mostly covered and quite a bit of indoor and outdoor coverage too. In the end I managed to get about 30 seconds of 4G. In the image you can see the Three coverage map and then the route I was going in Google Maps.

It's the same story in Cardiff, most of the centre is covered by "indoor coverage" but it's far from the truth. Hopefully it should improve as more 4G transmitters are switched on.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »

same story in London (outside of central London) that the coverage is very weak, didn't dyson say he could move very fast if he wanted to, we're in March 14 now and we've not made much progress.

Yes the coverage says one thing, but in reality I don't know how much of it is true.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It's the same story in Cardiff, most of the centre is covered by "indoor coverage" but it's far from the truth. Hopefully it should improve as more 4G transmitters are switched on.

It's more a case of your phone not switching to 4G.

If you put your phone in 4G only mode then you can get a 4G signal in the pink and blue areas on the map. But when you put it on 3G/4G you'll find that the phone may prefer 3G in weak 4G areas.

In London I put my phone in 4G only and pretty much never lost signal the entire time between Victoria and Wembley. On 3G/4G mode I found that it'd switch a lot more between the two but 4G was very impressive in London.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It's more a case of your phone not switching to 4G.

If you put your phone in 4G only mode then you can get a 4G signal in the pink and blue areas on the map. But when you put it on 3G/4G you'll find that the phone may prefer 3G in weak 4G areas.

In London I put my phone in 4G only and pretty much never lost signal the entire time between Victoria and Wembley. On 3G/4G mode I found that it'd switch a lot more between the two but 4G was very impressive in London.

My phone is set onto LTE preferred but it seems a bit of hastle having to change it every time i'm in a 4G area. :blush:
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    My phone is set onto LTE preferred but it seems a bit of hastle having to change it every time i'm in a 4G area. :blush:

And I wouldn't suggest it either. Putting the phone into LTE Only is pointless (due to lack of voice) and the only reason I did it was to test LTE in London last week.

All I'm saying is that you may actually be in a 4G area but where 3G is the preferred signal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Hi, i have a sim free note 3 and in birmingham city centre get 4g here are my results

amzf3d.png

2gufno7.png

very impressed with that, my own area where i leave dont get 4g, on coverage says very good service from march so hoping soon.

Thanks
  • jonspursjonspurs Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    My SpeedTest result the other night standing next to a 4G mast:

http://i60.tinypic.com/eip341.png
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    jonspurs wrote: »
    My SpeedTest result the other night standing next to a 4G mast:

http://i60.tinypic.com/eip341.png

Oh my god..
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell your phone should max out before than.
This discussion has been closed.