If Bruce was to leave - who would you like to replace him?

Comments

• Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Why does the host have to have a knowledge of dancing or musical theatre as has been stated various times?

As far as I am aware none of the international hosts is a dancer/ musical theatre star -
    Likewise there is no need for the host to be a comedian....
    The peerless Tom Bergeron of DWTS does a wonderful job without stupid and unecessary jokes and silly shuffles - he just gets the couples on and off the floor, keeps the judges under control and generally moves the show along and keeping it to time in a professional and entertaining manner!

We have plenty of capable presenters of live TV here in the UK - all of them used to wearing earpieces and keeping the shows to time Matt Baker/ Gethin Jones/ Alex Jones/ Vernon Kay (who has presented the US version of Dancing on ice!)/ Steve Jones/ Graham Norton/ Chris Evans/ Johnny Vaughan/ Denise Van Outen/ Chris Hollins/ Susanna Reid/ Chris Evans etc -

Did not know VK had done DOI in the USA.
    Very good spot :kitty:
    If he can be extricated from his ITV "old gameshow remakes" then he is probably a shoe-in.

Having a married couple doing Strictly would play well with the core audience.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Latest rumour Russell Grant ....
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I s'ppose it's a generation thing.

For me, who presents this programme is the least important person on the show.

Just intoduce the dancers and get off.
    Ask each judge in turn for their comments and keep your mouth shut whilst they are doing it.
    Move on to the next couple.
    Apart from being "presentable" and having a pleasant disposition it's all the job needs.
    No unfunny jokes, no hogging the camera, no turning it into a vehicle for yourself.

After all, it's s'pposed to be a dancing competition.

But many of the contemporary generations seem to think their entertainment should be, "spoon fed."
  • marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I s'ppose it's a generation thing.

For me, who presents this programme is the least important person on the show.

Just intoduce the dancers and get off.
    Ask each judge in turn for their comments and keep your mouth shut whilst they are doing it.
    Move on to the next couple.
    Apart from being "presentable" and having a pleasant disposition it's all the job needs.
    No unfunny jokes, no hogging the camera, no turning it into a vehicle for yourself.

After all, it's s'pposed to be a dancing competition.

But many of the contemporary generations seem to think their entertainment should be, "spoon fed."

If it was just a dancing competition it would go the way of Come Dancing, It is an all round entertainment show. So what is needed is an all round entertainer
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marobby wrote: »
    If it was just a dancing competition it would go the way of Come Dancing, It is an all round entertainment show. So what is needed is an all round entertainer

However when the contestants come on they DANCE and not sing or sew. THAT'S why the show is successful IMO. Underestimate it at your peril. I fear those in charge at the BBC might, and ruin the show.

I watch the show purely for the dancing. I didn't watch the Voice UK, as I couldn't care less about wannabe singers. Britain's Got Talent (starting next week) is all round entertainment.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member

Why does it need an all round entertainer?

Its a live TV reality show which means the presenters main job is to get from beginning to end in the time available ensuring that all contestants come on, dance, get critiqued by ALL judges - and get off to the waiting area to receive their scores. The presenter isnt required to sing/ dance/ tell jokes or deliver any other form of entertainment - they are there to PRESENT the show - not show off their own talents.

As a big fan of Dancing with the Stars in the US - Tom Bergeron is a marvellous presenter - smooth, funny (without having to tell scripted "jokes") and utterly professional - and he is just a presenter - not a singer/ dancer/ comedian/ jack of all trades master of none. Most of the international presenters are of his type - not Bruce's, and all are top rated shows in their respective countries. We've all notice how much slicker and more professional the shows were when Bruce had his weeks off - no crap. no waffle, all judges got to speak for each couple and generally much easier and more fun to watch.

Bruce seemed to think it was the Bruce Forsyth Show featuring Strictly Come Dancing - not Strictly Come Dancing presented by Bruce Forsyth.... he hogged the limelight far too much meaning that in order to keep to time we had to lose some of the judge's critiques to make up for the time he wasted - and his refusal to wear an earpiece meant that the producers couldn't tell him to shut up and move on. I think they resorted to wiring up len last year as he told Bruce to move on on several occasions when his rambling was getting out of hand.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need someone with enough wellie to keep the judges in line when they start squabbling, or when they are offensive to a contestant.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you think the old codger's contributions were necessary?

Come Dancing was "middle class" had no celebrities, unless you call the extremely annoying Gaynor Fairthweather and Donny Burns, entertaining. Mind you he was a scream in those goucho trousers he wore one season.
    Come Dancing went because with that format, the world had passed it by.
    The BBC also new it was too "middle class" and kicked it around the schedules so people couldn't find it and so help justify its cancellation.

Strictly has the element that the modern generations like, "so called" celebrities, that a lot of us who don't watch any soaps woouldn't know from Adam. Those and the dance element is what the majority of the audience like.

It doesn't need another self-serving idiot to try to take it over.
    Tess and Claudia managed quite well on their own.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    SaraV1308 wrote: »

Noooooooooo!
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather like either Bradley Walsh or Brian Connolly.

It may be on here somewhere and I missed it but Anton du Bec?
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I think there should be a poll in this thread.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »

Please no, might as well go the whole hog and have Ann Widdecombe doing the post dance chat in the comfy room.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum reckons Lee Mack has an outside chance of being the next host.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please no, might as well go the whole hog and have Ann Widdecombe doing the post dance chat in the comfy room.

I was just thinking that Russell was the worst possibility but that is worse.
    Even worse would be getting Miss Funitty Fun. :o
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I think they need another old fart who was good at dancing in his day. I'm not a huge fan but Lionel Blair seems to fit the bill - especially given his tutor-ship to the finalists on the Peter Kay X-Factor spoof!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I think they need another old fart who was good at dancing in his day. I'm not a huge fan but Lionel Blair seems to fit the bill - especially given his tutor-ship to the finalists on the Peter Kay X-Factor spoof!
    So you want to swap an 86 year-old for an 82 year-old?

I know that you can't discriminate on grounds of age or gender, but there does have to be some common sense and acknowledgement that you lose stamina as you get older. That's why Fforsyth had to cut down and now finally give up.
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,736
    Forum Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - but how about Bill Turnbull. He presents 3 hours of live TV 3 days a week (so ticks that box) and has appeared on Strictly, so knows the ins and outs of how it works. Maybe he'd have to cut down is Breakfast slot to 2 days a week for the run of Strictly but there are enough other presenters to cope with that - they managed Susanna cutting down this year after all.

He's done a few stints on Songs of Praise so clearly isn't just a breakfast person, but is happy to move into other areas.

He's self-effacing, quietly humourous and would do a good job (iimo anyway).
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - but how about Bill Turnbull. He presents 3 hours of live TV 3 days a week (so ticks that box) and has appeared on Strictly, so knows the ins and outs of how it works. Maybe he'd have to cut down is Breakfast slot to 2 days a week for the run of Strictly but there are enough other presenters to cope with that - they managed Susanna cutting down this year after all.

He's done a few stints on Songs of Praise so clearly isn't just a breakfast person, but is happy to move into other areas.

He's self-effacing, quietly humourous and would do a good job (iimo anyway).
    Not my cup of tea. He argued with the judges when he was a contestant.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I personally don't mind but I hope who they choose doesn't mean Strictly loses viewers to XFactor.
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    If Des O'Connor was younger he would be ideal for the job.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claudia :)
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Des O'Connor was younger he would be ideal for the job.

A bit of a pointless post tbh.

If FForsyth was (much) younger he would also be ideal for the job.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't mind but I hope who they choose doesn't mean Strictly loses viewers to XFactor.

For me that would be the ideal choice.

Anything that makes SCD less naff and youf-friendly sounds great.

Anyone who can or could dance a bit.

Match of The Day has Gary Lineker / Test Match Special has Jonathan Agnew..

So not necessarily dance extremely well but a reasonable feel for the genre and good posture. So no Claudia or any of the fun fun fun comedy contestants.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    As long as it's someone who................

Has a sense of humour but doesn't tell toe-curling jokes.
    Doesn't have a huge ego
    Doesn't try to sing or dance

...............and most importantly

Has their own hair.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Sir Cliff Richard?